Closed Loop Elevator

Adrian Smith 1

As a builder and flyer for some years now I have what might appear to be a stupid question. I have used the closed loop system for rudders (pull-pull) very successfully and wonder how to do the same with the elevator. Short of mounting the servo sideways I can't for the life of me see how it's done despite looking at the finished article on photos with a magnifying glass! The review of the Capiche 140 ARTF in September's mag has the system which appears to show the rudder and elevator servos on a flat plane. As I say I may be a bit dense but can someone enlighten me?

Advert

This may be obvious, but perhaps worth mentioning.
If you do have crossover of the wires - ensure you use proper nylon covered trace wire ( I get the stuff from fishing tackle shops ) to prevent metal to metal contact interference
I dont worry about this these days on 2.4Ghz, but its worth noting. Another method involves a transfer crank, where short stout rods activate the crank utilkising ball joints for the angles involved, and the crank is in the vertical plane - the main wires then travel without crossing over midships, or of course, mount the servo on its side.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 04/08/2009 17:44:33

Adrian, my Limbo Dancer which has been flying regularly since January 2000 (and looks like it has too... ) has closed loop on rudder and elevator.  The servos are mounted fairly conventionally.

In fact you can just see the tail of it at the top-left of my avatar pic!

Edited By John Privett on 04/08/2009 19:04:27