Hangar 9 P-51D Blue Nose 60 ARF

Tom Foreman

Advert

What electric setup are you going for Scott, I'm trying to decide between 8s1p 3700 or 6s1p 4000, if I can keep the weight down to 9lb and only prop it for 125W / lb the 6s1p option looks favourable (1125W, 51A) otherwise I'll have to go for 8s1p which means a more expensive ESC.

Tom

Hi Tom, well, if you look at the specs, they are talking 10lbs, meaning your average [let me emphasise, GOOD quality, not Turnigy, etc] 0.60 class motor....is a just about job, as I would be expecting 1100-1200w, 120w per 1lb is usually perfect for warbirds for me.

8s is pretty over the top to be honest, and as I want to use a 15" 4 blade prop, I'm probably going to use 7s on a 90 class motor, one of our new range when they arrive will be perfect, the X4130 will handle up to a 16x10 on 8s [which is going to be cracking on for 2kw], so I'm intending to use a 16x12 four blade, probably on 7s, safe in the knowedge if I need a bit more, I can go up to 8s on the same motor.

Edited By Scott Cuppello - BRC on 14/08/2009 13:04:00

So Scott are you going to do a build blog, doesn't seem like anyone around the world has one of these baby's yet.

I downloaded the manual and had a good read, the only thing I don't like is the wing mounting, as after you bolt the wings on it shows the dummy radiator being screwed onto the wing with self tapping screws. Hopefully this can be re-designed to be less cumbersome, but apart from that everything else looked pretty solid.

The tailplane is a proper aerofoiled section and is a two piece affair with carbon tube re-inforcement and hidden elevator linkage. Pretty sweet, although it shows it glued on, it could probably be modded to make it removable without too much trouble, might be a bit fiddly hooking up the linkage although it does have a cool access hatch. The mechanical retracts look very sexy, all metal and the servo fits to the retract directly so no fidlly linkages, you could even slow them down electronically to get them to look more authentic.

They even show you how to cut out the dummy radiator so that it will act as a hot air oulet for the batteries, seems pretty well designed on paper, can't wait to get the kit, have been trying to hold off as I already have a F22 Raptor in a box, M60 glider on the build table, a West Wings Hawk awaiting its fan installing and a couple of other gliders that need finishing. Still there's always a little space left under the build table for another box

Tom

Yeah, why not, the tailplane bolts on and off on the production version by all accounts....struggling to see the point myself, but hey.....yes, want to fly it at the Hop Farm with Steve's P-47, so if mine turns up fast enough [any day so I'm told...hmmmmm], I'll do a build blog......I'll also spell "efficiency" correctly in the blog.....

Edited By Scott Cuppello - BRC on 18/08/2009 12:04:31

• 1 month later...
Hi Scott, yes I really like the look of this one too. My wife tried to get one for my birthday back in July (from a magazine ad she knew I liked the look of it) trouble was it wasn't out then. The price was a little high as I recall? $300 translated to £300?? You can get a YT for that.......

It should come out about the same weight as my Sea Fury, and that goes really well on 6s2p A123, and a TURNIGY motor swinging an 18 x 12 prop. I have a 5 blader for that but not flown with it yet.

Hope to see a build blog soon

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 23/09/2009 15:06:32

• 1 year later...
Scott,
Did you ever get round to building the P-51? I'm just starting a build on one, will be running the 15" 4 blade prop with an e-flite power 110 motor and 8s via a castle 80A HV speed controller.
Binning the standard control runs etc and using snakes for the elevator, also fitting a retractable tail wheel.

I'll do a bit of a build blog on this thread Danny.

This kit has been sat in it's box in my workshop for almost 2 years, I ended up with a spare when the girlfriend bought one for me at the same time I bought one so I hid the spare away!

I had a fright last week putting the wings together, I simply couldn't get the wing, ailerons and flaps to align on the trailing edge, there was a good half inch discrepancy. At first I thought the wing had warped in the cold winter but it turns out the hinge holes were badly drilled at the factory (this is a very early kit on the first shipment to the UK) a bit of drilling later and it's all looking good.

Photo's to come.

• 6 months later...
Hi,
I'm in the latter stages of building the Hangar 9 P-51D Blue Nose 60. I want to put a scale pilot in the cockpit. Any recommmendations?

When David reviewed this kit in the RCM&E a while back, he said that he bought a pilot from Pete's Pilots on eBay. Which one did you use and what would the correct scale be, please?

I have put a SC FS120 engine in the plane. What propeller would be the best o use on this particular aircraft.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Ken

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 12/11/2011 21:54:29

For the Prop, use whatever runs best for your engine; propably a 15x6 to 16x8, but experiement and see what gives the most RPM. Don't forget that at 9000rpm, the difference between a 15x6 and 15x8 is about 20mph airspeed.

Try the Dragan 1/6 scale pilots. I've used a few and they are very detailed. Don't bother buying/looking for a pilot, just buy a cheap naked figure (you will probably cut his legs off!). Add a jacket, helmet, goggles, mask and parachute.

Of course, these above are all just examples. With a bit of searching you can find all sorts of stuff for these fugures.

Yes, it all adds up and you might pay £20 for a pilot, but they look much better than the plastic bust type jobs and even better than Mick Reeves's new range of pilots, which IMHO look a bit soft doll like.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 12/11/2011 21:51:25

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 12/11/2011 21:54:46

• 1 year later...