Shuttleworth Collection display 2nd August

KeithT

A fantastic day with many highlights, such as the Hawker Hunter and Gnat display, the Shuttleworth barnstormers and a load of restored WWI biplanes.

The Comet, great to see - was planned to taxi run only but we don't think it did.

A first for me - 2 Hawker Hurricanes flying at one display

Wasp:

The wind died toward the end of the day so they brought out a few of the collection that need absolutely no wind to fly.

Bristol Boxkite and Avro Triplane both replicas made for "Those magnificent men in their flying machines" in 1965. They flew soooooo  slowly !

And finally a Deperussin, licenced to fly in a straight line only, apparently !

I would thoroughly recommend a visit to anyone

Edited By KeithT on 19/08/2009 08:25:09

Advert

Many, many years ago, late one evening, before a flying day, I arrived at old warden, and asked the guys working in the hanger if they knew of any place to camp.  They suggested a corner not far from the runway

Now, in the morning I was awakened by the most fantastic sound imaginable. Outside my tent was the sopwith camel  all ready to go off on a test flight.. Soon my primus stove was hissing away, and the pilot and I had bacon, eggs, freshly picked mushrooms and some scottish sausage under the sopwith wing (we did have a wee malt too)

happy days

ernie

Seen the edwardians fly too . It is quite something to think how much aviation has progressed in the past 100 years to the high agility CCV aircraft of today.

Shuttleworth is a great place to watch a flying display as there is a great nostalgic feel to every event. That and the banked passes right round the crowdline   

i12fly - Bleriot didn't fly, not sure of the reason, but it was in the hanger.

Ernie, that would have been great - and having been there can quite believe it !

Posted by Jonathan Lewzey on 19/08/2009 21:43:15:

Shuttleworth is a great place to watch a flying display as there is a great nostalgic feel to every event. That and the banked passes right round the crowdline   

Aye, the close proximity to the flight line(s) and the fact that the majority of aircraft sat just 10 feet away over a wooden fence until they were fired up to fly was amazing. The event was so relaxed with no overcrowding, no heavy security presence, just folk enjoying the day.

At the end of the day, there was also a fair procession of visiting private pilots leaving (before the Edwardians flew) which was interesting in itself - a couple of Chipmunks and a biplane mixed in amongst the Piper Cherokees. And this thing made an amazing noise - might be great to model, any ideas for I.D.?

and a great paint job on a Chipmunk...

The best airshow I've ever been to, I think.

You're right, it is a CJ6. Interestingly, wikipedia says this:

"A common, but erroneous, belief is that the CJ-6 is a Chinese version of the Russian Yak-18A. Its predecessor, the Nanchang CJ-5, was a Yak-18 design built under licence. However, advancements in pilot training brought a need for a new aircraft with improved performance and a tricycle landing gear. When the Soviet Union developed the Yak-18A, the PLAAF engineers decided that its performance and design would not suit China's needs.

During late 1957 Aeronautical Engineers Bushi Cheng and Lin Jiahua began work in Shenyang on a trainer design that addressed the shortcomings of the Yak-18A. The design they delivered featured an aluminum semi-monocoque fuselage, flush-riveted throughout, and introduced a modified Clark airfoil wing design with pronounced dihedral in the outer sections. Wind tunnel testing validated the design, and in May 1958 the program was transferred to the Nanchang Aircraft Manufacturing factory where Chief Engineer Goa Zhenning initiated production of the CJ-6. The first flight of the CJ-6 was completed on August 27th 1958 by Lu Maofan and He Yinxi.

Power for the prototype was provided by a Czech-built horizontally-opposed piston engine, but flight testing revealed the need for more power, so a locally manufactured version of the Soviet AI-14P 260 hp radial, the Housai HS-6, was substituted along with a matching propeller, and with that change the CJ-6 was approved for mass production. In 1965 the HS-6 engine was upgraded to 285 hp and redesignated the HS-6A, and the aircraft equipped with the new powerplant were designated the CJ-6A.

A total production run estimated at more than 3,000 aircraft supplied CJ-6 aircraft for PLAAF training, as well as export to countries including Albania, Bangladesh, Cambodia, North Korea, Tanzania, and Sri Lanka."

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...