Multiplex Merlin kit

Former Member

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
I saw this little airplane at the Multiplex Fun Fly today and was impressed. Unfortunately GBP64.50 for the foam or GBP99.99 for the foam with motor and Lipo is way too expensive for a little glider. Disappointing really. The previous poster was about right at GBP40 and I would have bought one on the spot.

Received my 'Merlin' today.
It looks neat BUT first off, for a German manufacturer (and a country that espouses 'green' practices and thinking), too much packaging and poor aspects of packaging. The elapor 'cradle' the model is placed in (great idea), however it allows the thin tailplane and wing units to move around whilst in courier/postal transit. Fortunately no damage to mine, but something to be mindful of.
I acquired, (the way overpriced)  MPX motor set. It does include a neat spinner unit but in restrospect there are many cheaper and useable altenate motor/ESC/spinner units available.
Some 'interesting' instructions include blending Enlish & German abbreviations i.e. 'AQL' = "Aileron/Queruder/Left/Links".
First reports across other web sites suggest it's a nippy little sport model.
The instructions give a warning though quote:
"Like any other aircraft, this model has static limits! Steep dives and silly, imprudent manouevres may cause structural failure and the loss of the model"
So there...you have been warned!!!
I'm looking forward to the build and flight testing, further reports soon I hope.

Any small brushless outrunner of approx.1000Kv  that will spin an Aeronaut folding prop assembly using 7 x 4 or 8 x 5 blades. Add an ESC of at least 10A, preferably higher to allow good margin. This will need to be secured to the 'roof' of the cockpit area. Also be very careful of how the motor leads are run back to prevent their fouling the spinning motor case.
(Looking at web sites in no particular order "BRC" offer BRC A2212-15T 930Kv (120W)
"Overlander" offer - Thumper 2826 Motor - 140 watt motor, kv 1000).
Further to my first post on the model.
Internal space is perhaps naturally very tight in this model.
I would suggest a few 'dry run' assemblies and positioning of your R/C equipment to ensure it fits AND you can practically access the servo connectors, that's assuming you dismantle the model between flying sessions.
HiTec HS55 servos fit perfectly in the pre-moulded cut-outs and included plastic sub-assemblies which retain the servos within the fuselage.
Rather than carry dead weight ballast along for the ride to achieve the correct C of G, a larger Li-Po pack e.g. 800 possibly 1300mAh could be considered. Again the limitations are access through the lower fuselage moulded plastic hatch. Some 3 cell packs might not fit. If you use the suggested MPX 450mAH 3 cell pack, you will be placing ths as far forward as possible and even then adding 'dead weight' to achieve the recommended C of G.
Tiny fingers to assemble the model will be an asset too!

I don't think either of those motor are going to fit. The BRC has the shaft sticking out the wrong end. Perhaps it can be moved if there is a setscrew holding the end bell to the shaft. Overlander hasn't listed any specs for the Thumper 2826 but my guess is the 28mm is the diameter of the stator and the outer casing is somewhat wider than that, perhaps >30mm. I did find this motor which seems to be the same dimensions as the Himax but slightly higher KV:

The problem is finding a suitable spinner to fit the 2mm motor shaft. The Multiplex spinner would be ideal but I bet it's not available in this country for some time. I do have a Graupner spinner for a 2mm shaft but it has tiny 4.7 x 2.4 blades. My 7 x 4 blades are too wide at the roots to fit. I guess I could file the roots down.

Have you flown it yet. Can it climb unlimited vertical with the Himax motor?

• 5 months later...
I bought one yesterday from elite models in ashford, bought all the electronics from giant cod, 2 folding props, 4 hitec servos, 2x500mah 3s lipos, 18a esc, spinner and motor for under £70 inc postage.
I'd suggest care when specifying the motor as the oe one is just over 30 grammes and at this size weight will be a premium.
I opted for a 1400kv 90 watt motor, 18 amp esc and will use a giant cod 7x4 folder with their £1.70 small plastic spinner though I'll have to drill out the prop adapter to suit the motor output shaft. The oe motor is 1180 kv and with an 8x5 wil go vertical only 80 watts too, so my 7x4 at about 17% more revs/min should be adequate.
I bought it as it fits a space in the car for when we drive down to the costa del sol for easter.
Hopefully my ancient fingers will be up to controlling it as I had a dreadful afternoon today trying out an original wot4 mk2 with a saito 82 up front. Got it back in one piece though, didn't realise how awful a forward c of g would make it perform.

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 21/03/2010 19:38:41

Posted by John Gibbs on 21/03/2010 18:02:14:

Hopefully my ancient fingers will be up to controlling it as I had a dreadful afternoon today trying out an original wot4 mk2 with a saito 82 up front. Got it back in one piece though, didn't realise how awful a forward c of g would make it perform.

I did that years ago, put a Laser 61 in the front, was a quite nose heavy, was like landing the space shuttle..........................

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 21/03/2010 19:38:16

The Graupner Discus looks a nice glider but why do manufacturers persist in putting a permanently mounted brushed motor in the pod when they should realise that brushless is the modern choice??? It's not as if the pod is cheap either, at nearly £30!

Give us the pod for a tenner, Graupner, I'll find a motor- and you'll probably sell a lot more!

Pete