Futaba 8FG

Tim Mackey

Just one thing ... is there a typo or summat in the write up?
It says eight proportional channels and two switched channels?
Judging by the looks of the two round thingies on the front face top panel..I am guessing these are rotary knobs - so proportional for flaps etc. Would this not then make it 6 proportional and 2 switched ?
It  looks very nice...almost as nice as a DX7 - and the 8 channels and SD card memory expansion etc makes it well equipped  - be interesting to see the price point.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 10/09/2009 23:49:36

That's how I read it Timbo.

4 primaries as normal, + 4 others that can be assisgned to any of the sliders or switches at the users preference.

This looks a very useful piece of kit- I think I would have gone for this rather than the 10 channel one I chose.  Just the receiver issue to deal with now.......no, not prices but the only options are the 7 channel or 14.  Futaba need one with 9/10 channels as a mid range option.

I dont like the Futaba 2.4 ghz.... but i do like the other Futaba bits! In my opinion.... what an ugly........ It seems too modern, it is just overdone, plain and.... well.... i dont exactly know!

I am Verrrrrry happy with me 10C... but i am very suprised that it dosent have servo slow... i didn't get the Jr 9x2 as it dosent have channel inputs for FPV use, but i really need servo slow and gear doors at this point!

Oooohh... i hope i'm not going off topic....

This 'tranny' () loooks like it has good features (i like the SD card insdeat of this impossible CAMPAC thingy) but i am happy with the 10C. Also the futaba 2.4 rxs are too expensive (i saw the new 4 channel one for £45!!!!!!!)

Shame it dosent use modules.

Sheldon

It looks horrible! The bit on the bottom looks like, well, er... Like somone has stuck the bottom of a cheap radio (those ones you get with rtfs) to the body of a nice one - like a gallardo with the back replaced with that of a mini clubmans. Uhhr!
Apart from that I like it - a mini ff10, and the SD thing is great. Abit off topic though, will specy ever do anything like the sd - could it with its model match?

This is annoying, i got the 10C ( i love it!) which is missing a few features.  But the servo slow can still be done, just not directly. I agree with Birdy.... everyone says it looks nice! It's NOT!!! Ok, i'm being opinionated... but is just seems over done, flat faced and plain. Also there are yet more limitations with Futaba 2.4 - you can't use it with any of theese small mcx's and vapors, and all the other things.

Sheldon

WEll, guys to me, it does look plain,I have always been a Futaba flyer,(1972) but...it is servicable, not so many little corners and indentations to clean after a flying sessions, those arkward little raised "bits" that always seem to gather dust and grim.
 I still have a FF7 which is still in great condition,.THat is the Futaba legacy
Yes, the rec. may be expensive, but as, all things new, after a while the price will drop.
It may look cheap, to some people, but isn't the name "futaba" enough,we all know how reilable they are...........do we choose a TX for it's looks or........all of the above
A.A. Barry 

I have a  question which is not so much about the looks as the user friendliness?.
 My brother has used Futaba for 30 years and still has and uses his old faithful FF7. he then bought the 6EX 2.4ghz because the FF7 didn't have programming for ECCPM mixing for helis and having read the instruction manual for the 6EX myself when helping him set it up for a heli, i wonder how anyone new to modeling would ever figure out how to programme it properly without foreknowledge of Futaba's in general as the instructions seem to me to be somewhat lacking to say the least.
 I use a JR DSX9 and although the instructions are carried over from the earlier PCM9X at least they are clear enough to set up the transmitter properly.
 So, does the new FF8 break the Futaba habit and actualy have comprehensive and comprehendable instructions?  Or are they of the head scratching kind that Futaba usualy produce?

As for it's looks, i think it's ok...ish but functionality is more important than looks in the long run.