Futaba 8FG

Tim Mackey

• 3 weeks later...
I think it looks great. Anything looking 'different' tends to get labelled as cheap because folk dont take to the new look. Each to their own I guess.

What does surprise me though is that despite nearly everything else coming down in prices, RC transmitters and receivers always seem to go the other way ie increase in price. I mean how many modellers can pay a grand (one thousand pounds!!!) for a so called top end system?

Even at 500 quid or even 300 just for the Tx, the price is astronomical when you consider the cost of digital tv's camcorders and mobile phones etc!

surely the saying 'bigger the fool that buy's one' come's into play here...........i've used futaba for 22 year's and love the stuff...........but when you see set's from other manufacturer's appearing that are sometime's half the price and less...you think is brand loyalty a good thing or am i a .........sure all the 'must have's' will buy the new FF8 and ripmax/futaba will be laughing all the way to the bank........thing is how come we can buy a planet set c/w rx for £40.00.....and additional rx's for £10.00 makes you suspect that there is a 'rabbit' off somewhere..........fair enough the planet gear is basic but so what-we managed ok previous...and i'm sure they(planet) will refine the next generation.......food for thought anyway...............where's that Rabbit ..........

ken anderson...........(i want that one..............)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i have ordered mine already i have been using ff9 with 8 channel module for the last couple of years but the ff8 with its sd card means i can have all my models  in one transmitter cheaply. some body said about using either a 7 or 14 channel receiver they forgot the 608. if it works the same principle as the  ff9 to program  fantastic. as for looks im not taking it to the pub to attract a new women. check out the new receiver prices for futaba 617s  i have seen them for £55 and they fit in everything they are so light and small compared to the old 35mg receivers my old 14mz receivers were £175. also the futaba faast system doesn't just rely on two frequencys channels they have also been using it in other applications long before we we became aware its potencial

• 2 weeks later...
my ff8 arrived yesterday i charged the battery last night and having a quiet day at work set about transferring model data and programming after getting used to the ipod syle programming wheel ( great for any twelve year old ) which takes a few minutes of learning to tap different sides to open different menus. the programming is so easy as you set it up to a particular aircraft type, either single servo wing or multiple servo the same with the tail. it may mean that i have to move servo leads in my receivers to match the new programming  no real hardship. the transmitter is much lighter then my ff9 and much much lighter then 14mz i used to own. with a host of different mixes available easy set up and now an unlimited model memory using  a sd card, the transmitter does feel balanced looks great all sticks and swiches in the right places the only small grip being the two sliders are not easy to  use they hide themselves at the top and bottom  they should of had a larger grip area like the ff9s.
now lets pray for some flying weather, as the only thing flying at the moment is all my wheely bins, so i can try it at the field

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Posted by Bladerunner on 19/09/2009 12:17:19:
I fly FASST (but not fast) so curious about new Futaba gear. Nice features but looks cheap - as opposed to minimalist Multiplex or iPhone™. Does this Tx mean the FF7 days are numbered? Probably not at that price

Edited By Bladerunner on 19/09/2009 12:17:53

In the end it felt better in the hand than it looked and cost less than anticipated. So naturally had to have it  

• 11 months later...
As Kens said the channels are all there and can be assigned to any switch or stick, the trims also are also assignable. As a footnote all switches bar two are three way in type.

Not a Fuby user, but we have many of them on here, and I know a few have the 8FG, and have implemented the upgrade to 14 channel operation.
I'm guessing that the actual Tx hardware has maybe something like 6 or 8 propo channels, and the rest will be a combo of switched, or "virtual" channels?
Hard to see how an 8 channel set ( with associated switches and sticks etc ) can suddenly sprout another 6 fully independant channels
Dunno, so I'll bow out there .

AA - that is basically it....if you have a 7 channel RX in your model(a warbird).....say and you have used all the channels on the primary control....throttles,rudder,elevator's etc...and still need some channel for other functions.....then you will have mixes that you can call up and assign to other swirches...or even the same control input(stick) as another channel......so you may have a model with all the bells and whistle's that needs 12 avalable functions to use...or you may want to mix some of the allready used controls into a new channel/switch.....hope the above makes sense...if not come back for more info.....

ken anderson ne..1 hope it makes sense dept.

If you have a 12 Channel receiver then make sure that the 8FG 'Frequency' is not set to 7 Chan but to MULTI or MLT2.

The 8FG Firmware Version 3.0 onwards gives the options of 7CH, MULTI and MLT2. MULTI gives 8 Channels + two non-proportional digital channels and 4 Virtual Channels. MLT2 gives 12 Channels + two non-proportional digital channels (no Virtual Channels).

Have a look at the excellent 'Supplemental Notes' by Malcolm Holt at http://futaba8fg.wikidot.com/

Hi Barry
Malcolm Holt has written some excellent on-line pdf guides for the 8FG, and they've been invaluable to me as I've come from the 6EX to the 8FG

If you're still at the early stages then this would be a good place to start -

Malcolm 'translates' the Manual into everything you'll need to know on how to program a new model.

Hope that helps
Les

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/10/2011 20:17:23

As far as I know you can't assign different channels to different positions of the same switch on the 8FG.

I'm sitting here with my 8FG on my lap. There are:

4 primary control axes on the joy sticks

7 switches (not including the trainer switch.)

2 rotary knobs

2 sliders at the back

That's a grand total of 15 controls 8 of which are proportional. If you want to really push it you can assign functions to the 4 trim controls as well!

So - no problems allocating 14 channels.

In relaity of course many channels are actually used up in complex mixes. But if you really want them on separate proportional controls the 8FG can do it with no "tricks" or sleight of hand!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/10/2011 20:20:16

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/10/2011 20:31:15