Does maturity make you a better flier?

Pete B

I returned to the hobby last year, having flown with a club in the late '70's - early '80's, when I was 25-30yrs old.  Back then, I coped pretty well with three-channel models, both power and glider, but tended towards the gliders as I didn't seem to bend as many! I built several aileron jobbies, such as the Magnatilla, but none of them ever seemed to last very long..........I admit I struggled with 4 functions.

When I started flying again, I was quite relieved to find that it was a bit like riding a bike - once learned, never forgotten. (This might reassure other potential returnees!). 

Since I returned, I've done all my flying alone, starting with a Ripmax Nebula electric glider to see if I could still fly, and then progressing with an Easyglider and into the EP field with the Phoenix Rainbow, E-Flite Cub and Sea Fury and the E-flite Lightning (which, admittedly, is now in a bin bag.....).

I've got a few other models queueing up for attention as well now!

The thing is, after the first couple of nervous flights with ailerons last year, I seemed to pick things up fairly quickly and my flying now, in my mid-50's, seems much smoother and more relaxed than first time around, despite my being older, with arguably slower reaction times.

I've being trying to work out why this is - perhaps when I was younger, with a career and family to look after, I wasn't able to give the hobby my undivided attention. Now, I can devote a lot more of my time to the hobby. Possibly now as well, I'm older and not so bold? 

Is it me, or have models become easier to set-up and fly? Has the design of models improved and how much has the modern computer radio made fine-tuning a model's trim easier and more reliable? Or am I just taking more care now?

Pete  

Advert

Hi Pete,

Reading you post i thought could it be the planes and radio equipment are much more sofisticated now and more responsive to the modelers input?
I dont know about maturity though there is a young lad of no more than 14 - 15 years who has attended our open fly ins who can handle a model like he was born with a transmitter in his hands.
Perhaps as you say you now have more time to devote to it the more stick time you get the better you will become.
Or perhaps its a combination of several things, whatever it is it has to be good for you right?

D

Edited By DAVID CLIFFORD on 17/09/2009 23:33:40

I learnt to fly r/c in my forties, took a while before I got my A (the club I was with wouldn't let you fly on your own until you had passed it.)

I am sure that if my dad had been there to pay for and mend my broken trainers that I would have learnt quicker!!!

Edited By Richard Bond on 18/09/2009 08:15:18

Oh dear this isgetting very depressing. Enjoy life while you can. thats what my old man always tells me.
You could get run over by a bus 2morow!
I have been able to get to my local park this afternoon with a good friend and took the eflight mini stick. the clouds were broken the sun was out i had a box of charged lipos.
We were having a competition to see who could climb the highest and fastest and who could keep the craft up there with no throttle on.
It felt great and we were having a proper good time, two boys with toys as it were. i didn't feel my age at all.
(P.S I won of course)

D the victorious

Yep! We males never grow up ....our toys just get more expensive!!!! As a kid i had a pedal cycle and as I've grown older my bikes have got bigger ....then developed engines.....and got bigger. i am now with a 1000cc much more expensive than my first bike!!!! Just like the hanger in the garden.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. You only get one shot so enjoy it. Buy what you want and fly the wings off it.

Pete,
Maybe it's electric power. I always feel the noise of an engine, especially a two stroke, get's the heart rate up. I.C. engines also seem more intimidating and are certainly a further complication and something else to go wrong. The more calm and less worried you are when you fly, the less likely you are to crash? Hence you got on better with gliders before.

Or maybe it's the relative cost. When I took this hobby up originally the plane and gear set me back an awful lot of money, so when I flew I was always a bit up tight about trashing my investment. Then I had long break, as you do, and when I returned I was pleased to discover everything was now much cheaper in real terms (plus I now had more money) so I was less concerned about crashing, so found, perversely, that I didn't crash. It was all much easier and quicker too, with ARTF being the norm.

Your post really struck a chord as I found my flying much better second time round as well. I think maybe mental attitude has a lot to do with it, as I wasn't bothered about impressing anybody, took my time and didn't try to run before I could walk. Tended to be a bit more over-enthusiastic (and nervous) when I was younger.

John.

Hi Guys.
 A saying comes to mind....... " with age comes maturity",    

You only have to take a look at young drivers these days to get a glimpse of how most of us probably used to be in our youth! (impulsive, impatient, imeverything, the list goes on) It's the mellowing out as we get older that makes the approach to model flying more relaxed and somehow easier.
Are you a better car driver now than in your youth? Same goes for flyinng!
 I've had a fairly long break from aeromodelling and got back into it again four years ago. I know for certain that i'm a much more accomplished flier these days than i used to be and it's all down to attitude and attention to detail, something that  was seriously lacking in my youth.  
I was always in too much of a hurry to get into the air to take that extra care in the set-up of a model and pre-flight checks, which is now evident in as much as i don't have nearly as many crashes these days (and mostly these are due to the inevitable and unforseeable parts failures) and that's not because i'm less adventurous with my flying, it's because my whole approach to it is more refined.

One mature kid
 Vic.