Victor Meldrew...

I don't belive it............in the famous words of Victor Meldrew.
finally manages to spare a few shekles for a nice shiny new proper kit from my local model emporium and they do not now stock kits that you actually build.
I knew that ARTF and foam models are now very popular and I may go against the grain by normally building from plans ,but for a model shop not to stock traditional kits is ,by my standards going a bit far.In fairness when I questioned the owner he said that price and demand is now limiting him to only stock ARTF and the like.I like to support my local shop but when it is now seeming that the only place I can get what I require is on the web.
Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Advert

hello rob-i think what you have just experienced is the tip of the iceberg-who's to blame?--well of course it is you/me/us the economic climate the price of thing's/the cost of living/the price of oil the lot...........but most of all we the modeller didnt/dont want to pay the price the lms were charging so we buy via mail/the internet etc........who would have thought not so long ago we would be ordering stuff from kong hong--and this would be the everyday norm-but wait i need a clevice-i'll nip down to the lms-for one-ye gazook's he's no longer there..he got sick of waiting for me to go for one and closed down... now i need him !!..........up this end of the country we have lost a couple+ of shop's-probably the same as everywhere else...................one of our formite's who live's in the middle of the med-remarked to me how lucky we are - been able to go along to the lms and pick and choose our requirement's..for him it's e-mail/phone and wait and hope what he has ordered arrive's eventually and in one piece...... the face of our hobby is evolving and like everything changing--- for the better -who know's..............

ken anderson.............ne 1.....

I was in Leeds today and passed by Leeds model shop. So i stopped and had a look in. Now that is a real emporium of toys compared to what we have in the North East.

It was bust too. Must have been 6 or seven people in browsing and buying stuff. They say Yorkshire folk don't like parting with their money. Seems not to be the case in there anyway...

Sorry Rob, but your local shopkeeper is right- there is no demand for it.....to a point.  We had our club funday at the weekend, and I had a long chat with our club treasurer.  We figured we were 2 of 3 "active" builders in the club.  The old guys have perpetually unfinished projects, but there are only 3 of us that actually turn up with the occasional finished plane at the field.  This is in a club with well over 100 members.

Blackburn has what is recognised as a "good" model shop, but it doesn't stock kits above rubber power.  Luckily he does stock a lot of the bits and pieces needed for modelling.  The 3 I know of in the north manchester area don't.  Leeds Models does sell kits- I bought my Flair DVII from there, and lots of people from our club in Bury use Leeds as their local model shop.  I use Steve Webb near Warrington for a "proper" shop.

What we are seeing is the shops like Leeds/SWM dealing with a greater geographical area.  But what this does mean is a trip out is a planned activity, rather than a pop down for a pack of clevises and a coffee like a now defunct shop in Radcliffe.  But if I have to drive 40 miles+ to my "local" shop, then it's not really local, and postage charges are less than the petrol- so I might as well buy from the internet- and make the problem worse.

Edited By andy watson on 21/09/2009 20:11:16

My nearest model shop is in Northenden? South Manchester. He has very little in the the way of kits, constantly struggles to keep the shop going. There appears to be a three way problem. We modellers do not spend enough, the rent on the shop is very high, also the rates are breath taking.

Even travelling the relatively short distance to this shop, 7 miles round trip, never  mind the +30 to Webbies or +20 to the Bolton model Centre (very good), costs far more than the postage from HK.

I buy a lot from HK, why? A Flightmax, Loong max, Zippy, 2200 lipo costs approx £13, cheapest from a model shop is about +£28. Before the detractors put finger to the keys. the BFMA News, seems to indicate they are everybit as good as Rhino, Flightpower.

We do seem to have a good many short kit suppliers Belair, a certain competitor to RCM&E, Greenair and of corse there is now TONY N. I hope that RCM&E strengthens its commercial relationship with TN to provide more from other designers through this channal (particularly Petter M).

Given that the pound is due to take another beating, against the Euro and the Dollar. We had better stock up before Christmas, where ever we shop. Apparently a lot of the economic activity is totally dependant on the Government spending and buying its own Bonds, which fewer international markets want.

Last year my financial advisor got it right on the Dollar, so I guess they will be right again.  I thought we would be alright uptill the next election. I have been told the wheels are coming of the UK.

So support your model shop now (or probably HK). Buy what you need immediatly, whilst you can afford it. Give thanks that some of the big centres have a top rate model shop, as we in Manchester have nothing.

I do wonder if I do enough, to help, perhaps my plan building is helping to kill the model shops?

Erfolg

i have the same problem erflog, i too live in Manchester and for a city of this size not to have a good model shop is scandalous Cheshire models has very limited stock and again is very expensive for most items, i can't even buy fully synthetic fuel there, i do still buy from there but if i want anything even slightly different i have to go elsewhere!!
Problem is we as modelers are slightly stingy and shop rates are very high! so we can not really blame them for upping their prices and selling items that actually sell, not traditional kits, even webbys has very few of these. to etch a living as a model shop in this current climate you have to be big enough to supply at low cost and cover all hobbies (cars, boats,plane, trains, dolls houses and even Warhammer) and that is some start up wonga needed there!!
i'm afraid  that R/C aircraft will always play second fiddle to cars and toys that is where the money is !!

ps does anyone know where i can get good fuel from without traveling to John O Groats!

Since Ron Donahue? shut up shop (East Cheshire Models). I think that the model shop near the hospital, of the A6, is the one remaining shop. I think the district is called Edgely . I think iit s called Cheshire Models.

I am not sure that it is always open 6 days a week, particularly when Stockport college is on its summer (what is summer?) break.

I still regret the passing of the "Manchester Model Shop", "Roland Scott" (at the various locations) and the model shop in Brazenose street. Then it was to Brazenose street straight past the shop and on to the Twisted Wheel, models became a thing for children. Oh yes the Pretty Things, Muddy Waters, God I am getting old.

Erfolg

i used to work with ron at cheshire models before it moved to new owners and across the road, it is still there but is only open thurs fri and sat, and stock is limited to say the least, manchester models is nothing more than a toy shop anymore and ashton models shut as he retired, and they offered him a shedload of money to sell early so the new metrolink could go through, that was 5 years ago lol and we still anit got it, so its still going to have to be a trip to webbys then huh !!

and we is all gettin old Erflog, you just older than most

Hi Lee

Strangely, the Ashton-under-lyne model shop was the very first model shop i can remember. My dad and mum (probably mum really) bought me a Frog Minx, later a Veron Seamew from there. I would visit it on my way to the baths. Where I would look longingly at the box for the Keil Kraft Spectre, which I really wanted.

I guess we must recognise that the likes of the Model Shop, Rons, Roland Scott , Berts Models (Sale), have little place in the modern world. The facts of retailing allowing only those with a unique edge to survive. I guess those who are agents for products in addition to retailing to the public.

The modern world for modellers will rely ever more on the inter-net, for the foreseeable future.

I think that the apparently bright spot, is that there are more titles for aeromodellers than I can ever remember there being. So the modern methods of journalism and production have provide some real benefits, although i guess it is not easy, to stay ahead of the game and solvent.

Where is that Zimmer frame, I am sure i left it, where...............

who is Erfolg? 

ahh but i miss sooooo much wandering round a proper model shop,  i honestly think that there is still space for a proper model shop well located and selling a variety of new and old stuff and thats where you will find me and Erfolg at the back with all the old stuff sniffing balsa !!!  ahh them where the days i still remember Laurrie Cullen atashton models berating a mother for wanting to buy her 10 year old a helicopter (this was when the smallest helicopter around was powered by a sixty)  ooo i laughed

Lee

It is not the balsa you sniff, its the balsa cement, the Ether for that ED Bee that will not start (over compressed most likely). Never mind the salt-peter you bought for the f/f fuse.
The Amyl Nitrate could be a problem to, seem to get a headache when mixing fuel, I could nott guess why! The very strange thing is, all this went on in my bedroom, with not a word of complaint from mutti. My wife would have fit if I even thought of doing half the things in the house, that were just accepted.

I have bought kits relatively recently,I posted a note and photos of them. They came from Grays, Orlando. Approx. £30 for a Great Planes Ryan STA and a similar amount for a Giles 202.

I am going to Webbies tomorrow, to buy a few things and of course window shop upstairs, just in case I need something in addition.

Erfolg

Ahhhh, been and returned Lee.

Could be the track that needs a clean? Although I do not know if that is still possible to do!

There are a large number of kits there. Although mostly small (aka Westwings, Aerokits?) and vintage type models. Prices are a bit differant to the USA, although with the collapse of the pound, it may not be true any longer.

Now who said "a weak currency, is the sign of a weak government"?

Back to my plan building Cussatts.

Erfolg

Something that tends to annoy me is when you go in person to the shop to buy something and then find thats its more expensive than whats its advertised for on their website. The explanation for this is usually " ahh thats a special web price". So i tend to shop more on the web these days but only from britsh sites eg falconsrcs he sells all the little bit s you mignt need.  The other thing is the shop nearest to me tends to not want to sell you what you go in for but what he wants you to buy
regards Paul

Finally have got my balsa fix.A gentle lady glider purchased online from sussex model centre is now on the bench for a nice simple build and some gentle floating about when complete.
Have to mention the great service from SMC ordered online and within 48 hours it was in my sticky little mits.

Rob

Rob

I took my own advice, shot down to Webbies and bought another Futaba 2.4 receiver before the costs go up again. Was going to sell my Futaba and Buy Spektrum, but I needed to sell it and time is pressing (regarding the pound).

Webbies do have a good selection of traditional type kits, Yes, the shop is dominated by ARTF etc., but that is the modern world.

Another thought, why not build from plan? Or own design, as the GL is so simple, in both concept and execution, you could do as well. As they say standing on the shoulders of those who have gone before, makes it simple.

Erfolg  

I do not know Ashton-under -lyne at all well, although just be fore the model shop closed, I visited. So much had changed for the worst, it was depressing. It really did effect me, I felt sick with fear, about how the country was going. I doubt if you would recognise the place. Street after street of boarded up shops, and there was the model shop, inside a little oasis. Must be 2-3 years back?

It seems a little similar to model kits in the UK. I recently tried to buy a Repli-kit, only to be told, they had a legal dispute and were no longer trading. As an after thought, it was said, if they could resolve their dispute, they may be on the market again, but would need to be more expensive to pay a copyright. This for designs whose commercial value is strictly limited, conceived in an era of limited (yet sensible) protection.

Other individuals do seem to try, yet cannot stay the course it would seem. I do wonder if the Blohm und Voss model that was a thread on this site, made it to kit? Will Funfighters ever be issued again?

I guess it is cost? When an ARTF, can be bought for approx £100- 200, built and covered. Who will buy a kit for £100, still need to buy £15-30 of covering and possibly another £20-40 for accessories. It all comes in a lack lustre box. Then you invest 30 -200 hrs building it.

When ARTFs come in a beautiful box, and the finish shames my own.