Building the Nijhuis Lysander

Advert

Posted by Terry Whiting 1 on 07/06/2010 11:53:56:
No   I was at  NLMFC's  (Baldock) open day, being the 6th June
they put on WW2 model D-Day. same absolutely fantastic models,
but sadly not one Lysander.

So was I (2 miles from my house) and next year there will be

Hello everyone.. I have been away for a bit 

The nice weather recently had put  a stop on the build, one because I have been able to fly and secondly because the sun makes my loft work space into a sauna. So I have moved down stairs for a bit to move on with the build. 

When I last posted I was joining the wing halves together, here is one finished and the second outer panel being built.

I have made the mount for the servos

Unfortunalty the servos I want to use are a very tight fit  so I will have to remove some of the rib to get them in with out jamming them in

This shows how much I need to cut away, do you guys think its necessary to reinforce the rib ?

And here are the component parts of the second wing ready to be stuck together. 

Which is the trickiest bit so far in the build. I will post some pics later of the jig I use to do this.

One thing I am not sure of is the profile of the TE aileron/Flap around the joint between the two win half's. Does any one have some close up pictures of this area ?

Thanks, I remember building the fuse it comes together real quick.

I got on with building the left wing today.

To join the wing half's' I made 3 packing blocks to go onto the plan to set the dihedral. A 40mm under w20 , 10mm under W10 and 6mm under W8. This matches the dihedral shown in the front view plan.

I then adjusted the two spas so they matched up, I had cut them slightly long working on the principle  that you cant add it on later.

I then glued the two diherdral braces to the inner panel 

I then fitted W9 by sliding it in sideways and then twisting into place.

I then spent a good half hour dry clamping it all and making sure everything lined up and was in the right place, and then added glue

I have also been finishing off the  ailerons and flaps, the little ribs take a lot of cutting out. I put some pics up of my method of making these tomorrow. Once I have got some more wood after having made 2 left ailerons lol

Hi Max,

Nice work pal, as for the rib cut out I reinforced with 1.5 sheet with
it's grain 90 degree to that of the rib, but then all my ribs were
1.5mm sheet.
You might be 1mm out on  W8,9,& 10 as the base line at W20 is
actually 43mm  not 40mm. Bit of CAD error, but It shouldn't make
any difference though.

Terry 

Hi Terry, I had not  noticed that but I wondered   if something was off as I had to adjust both dihedral braces on each wing at least they are both the same. Had an epic this morning  because as with anything clamped my two wing half's moved whilst drying . Luckily it was just the TE out of line and a bit of work with a razor saw and then a seriously big clamp and it was put right

Got bits and pieces done today. Most of my time is being consumed by making the flaps and ailerons , Also profiled the LE on the right wing, glued the wing tubes into the left wing, and a thousand other little bits and peices. This is defniitly one of the most time consuming parts of the build.

And I went out with the Easy Glider today and got a 48 minute flight, which included getting lost in a cloud at one point as it came over the patch, a case of full up elevator/rudder and scan the sky to see where it comes out of the cloud !!

Edited By MThemadhatter on 08/06/2010 20:50:42

Edited By MThemadhatter on 08/06/2010 20:52:15

Max,

Such measurerments are easily missed. I find it pays to spend a
little time going over the complete plan with a rule before any build.
These days it's quite common finding errors.  

I use the very same plasic scissor clamps, but using them with
epoxy does allow creep. Where possible a couple of pins through
the work, then scissor clamp stops any creep.

I sure hope your carbon rods fit  spot on .

Terry, just a thought, perhaps, these "pages" could be sorted. and put int sub titles. for builders. e.g
LYSANDER
                    WING.........
                    FUS............
                     tailplane...
                     Cowl..........
                      FIN............
                      Cockpit.....
 etc. etc. give the guys a guide where to goto instead of searching through all of the pages for details on building a certain part
Then on a disc, free with every laser cut kit bought
 Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 10/06/2010 12:52:39

Terry,

finally glued the tubes and ribs you sent into the inner wing panels. looks ok so hopefully i am going to get back on track.

All,

It would be a good idea if  there were some instructions with the cnc packs etc. i know most  of those building from plans are experienced but there will always be rookies joining the hobby or some who are relatively inexperienced.

having said that some of you build very quickly. very impressive.

jim

Halifax plans arrived today , spent some time to day figuring things out and searching the net for retract units, but thats another thread

Thats a monster of a plane ! I am thinking about the 72" lanc next as I have room to build it and some of the electric gear already. I think he used 4 ASP FS on it , that's a lot of tuning 

Edited By MThemadhatter on 10/06/2010 22:42:35

Jim,

As long as you have not had the 'epoxy creep' as did Max, you should be OK  .                                     .                                                                                                                                                              I totally agree with what you are saying about build instructions,                                           
which is something that requires some serious though if we wish
to see model building  thrive.
Many of to-days builders  are trying their hand  via the ARTF route
and could well be their first build.
'    

Edited By Terry Whiting 1 on 11/06/2010 09:51:47

Must admit the build article in the mag sucks, ok if you've done lots of building but for a new comer to building, Nope. You have to study, study, study then study the plans again and again, and then look to this thread (and others) to grasp the details. Not the worse though, have seen much worse!!!

As for the lanc, good luck, if you need any scale info (articles,  mag reprints, books etc) on the lanc let me know. I did pm Supermario about the Halifax as again I have lots and lots of info (mostly in .pdf) and most are now out of print.

But anyway back to the Topic.

Moldings arrived today (URGH), looks like a lot of work ahead.
Started inner panels today

i watched the england game and thought i would check on my inner wing panels on the basis that it cant get any worse.

i was right, panels seem to be fine and the carbon rods slipped out easy. i had wonered whether the epoxy may have got in the end of the tubes but for once lady luck was on my side.

have started to put the spar attachment into the wings and the servo hatches.also started the web spars on the inner wing panels.

as for flaps and ailerons they will be next. Whats the best method to get a 45 degree shape on aierons and flaps. is it planing with razor plane, sanding or cutting with a razor saw.

Jim

HI Jim,
I know in the blog there is a sketch which Mario added, it showed the method he and I used to obtain extra degrees of flap. Also Mario and I planed  3mm off the wing flap hinge spar.
An email answer I received from Tony Nijhuis said " If you can get an overall 40 degrees of flap the better"   .
Terry                                                           

Edited By Terry Whiting 1 on 13/06/2010 10:07:34

Hi guys

Jim
The sketch that Terry mencioned is on page 29 in this blog.
You do the aileron per plan but before you glue the under ribs you add an extra strip
of 3 mm balsa in the flap hinge spar and that gives the desire increase of aileron.
Terry
Just continuing to join documentation for the Halifax building.
Now I got a scan plan that Graham send and just ask information to Unitract Int. for
the retracts units.
I've been reading many threads in many forums about people that build Halifaxes and other 4 engine planes and now there's one thing that worryes me.
What happens if one engine stops during the flight?
You, with your experience, maybe have an answer.
Regards
Mário