Building the Nijhuis Lysander

Timbo changed his mind and we have decided to start me off with a fresh thread of the build in this, the build blog section after all
So here goes - I have taken the plunge and ordered the complete pack.
I will let you know when the kit arrives.
                  Please contribute I will need your help!

In the meantime I must get the west wings fournier finished to make room for this one - watch this space.....

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 04/10/2009 11:23:58

Hi Jim,
I have just started scrutinizing the plan to build the same model but as  electric.
It's just what I fancied for a winter project.
 I will not go for the plan pack as I wish to try save a few ounces as I think the I/C version  a little over engineered  for electric flight.

I will be following  your build with interest.       Best of luck    T.W.

hi Terry,

i dont know enough to try and convert to electric. in fact IC has me baffled as well,  so i am going as simple as possible and just sticking to the plan and getting everything from the same source. will be very interested in how you get on. let us know how you get on.

good luck with your project too

jim

Today i received 2 parts of the pack in 2 separate deliveries. the first was the moulded vacuum pack of cowl,canopy and spats. I have had a look at them and i must say they seem quite substantial. my only worry is cutting the spats out of the mould. i wasnt too successful with the fournier's vacuum moulded parts. is there a better tool than a modelling knife.

the second delivery was the CNC pack and wood pack. came wrapped in corrugated cardboard. a couple of small tears in packing but wood was ok. there is one sheet of very thick ply where the parts are etched but not cut.

all i am waiting for now is the plan.

I will post some photos in a day or two once i have sorted out photo bucket.

I think i will be ready to start by the end of the month.  

Doug, 
I think Jim is talking about the 6mm birch ply  which carries the wing, not a job for a hobby knife, as there's a great deal of accurate cutting required to produce these two formers.

Jim,  If you have purchased the CNC pack all such parts  should have all been CNC cut. I would make enquiries, otherwise  you will need a scroll type saw to cut 6mm birch ply.

I use very small bladed engineers metal shears for cutting plastic moulded parts.
Never cut right to the line on your first cut , this allows for accurate trimming and final sanding. After sanding scape the sanded edge with a modelling knife. 

Edited By Terry Whiting on 08/10/2009 08:25:46

Doug
Thanks for that suggestion. The mistake i made with the fournier was trying to trim to final shape at first attempt.

Terry,
following your post i had good look at the 6mm ply again and on closer inspection they are cut through but there is what i can only describe as loosely bonded sawdust in the cuts . it comes away reasonbly easy with a knife or something similar.

All i am waiting for now is the plan

KC
No i didnt buy the plan as a separate item it just seems to be included if you buy the complete pack at £114.99. I think it lists the pplan in the advert. I know it comes with the magazine but as its double sided i thought there wasnt any harm in having two copies.

Besides waiting for plan isnt going to delay me. I have already done that myself as i have major repairs to do to my trainer.

Jim 

Yes, i see now that the plan is included with the full set of parts.  So i suppose the point is why does the plan cost  9.99 pounds when the  magazine with plans costs 4.99 pounds?  And plans don't normally come with instructions from UK publishers.

Edited By kc on 10/10/2009 17:58:26

kc
It will be interesting to see what the differences are. will let you know. perhaps these ones are rolled.

I have now got some pics of what has been delivered so far. i have used the mag to give you all an idea of size of the vacuum pack pieces.

it was a pain doing each one individually. i will look into whether or not its possible to do a complete folder in one go. not sure if this will work or i have done it correctly.

I may not be able to afford any servos for it hopefully i will be able to stretch out the contruction to christmas!!! hopefully get 3 standards and 4 micros and an ar500 or an ar6200. Gonna put a lost model alarm on it somehow cause bloomin' ell, i ain't gonna let it get away after all the cash i put into it!!!

I received all the wood parts in one package from SLEC and all the fibreglass in a second package from a different supplier. No sign of the plans that should be included in the deal, so I have e-mailed myhobbystore asking when I might get them, although I have the free ones. I had to chase those up as my subscription copy of the Special only had one plan in it but 3 covers!! Printer problem?

Trouble is my wife has bought the model for me for my birthday which is 1st November.....and she won't let me start it 'till then!!

If you look in the mag page 62 it doesn't actually say you get a plan it just specifies all the other parts!  Only this website states the plan!!!!!!
The price of the plan has near doubled on the MyHobbyStore site too Its 19.95 pounds there!

You can bet they come folded not rolled too ( postage cost )

Edited By kc on 13/10/2009 18:12:36

Hi there
I got the plans today about a week after the vacuum pack and cnc and wood pack. The plans were folded but are single sided . the paper is substantially better quality than the  plans in the mag.

forgot to say that i think the paper is probably at least twice the thickness of the magazine plans

Jim

Edited By rookie jim on 13/10/2009 20:29:06