Building the Nijhuis Lysander

Hi everyone. Its strange, i start a blog off about building the lysander and you all beat me to it. Still i am ready to start now.
A number of the posts discussed washout but i havent got a clue what it is , but it sounded important. I am hoping someone out there could explain what it is and why its important in this build. I know this may be basic but i am a rookie. - both in flying and building.

Jim

Jim,
 Please don't get my wrong, and  I'm not trying to be offensive as you could have the ability to make a first class job of the Lysander, but if you a only slightly doubtful I would not recommend  this as a first build model.
The wing especially is rather complicated, and must be built absolutely accurate or it's first flight could well be it's last.
I would encourage anyone  new to this hobby to try their hand at kit or plan building, but to start with a much easier build,   suitable in honing building and flying skills.

When Tony Nijhuis said it was a "builders model",  he was really referring to anyone with a few models under their belt

If you wish to go ahead, I will certainly try and help.  I have by the way almost finished the wing, just the flaps, and the wing tips to go.  .

Terry,

Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated and i appeciate your honest views. I have just finished building a model from kit but i cant say  i am experienced.  I have already bought the lysander kit so i may as well give it a go so If it doesnt turn out ok then i wont be in much of a worse position than if i left it on the shelf and didnt use it for years. i am not looking for a quick build, but a project to keep me occupied over the winter. I will do it very slowly: there isnt any deadline so i wont be bothered if i am still doing it at easter. Many thanks for your offer of help.

Doug,

Interesting comment from TN. Yes i too thought the lysander flew well in the video. I would be interested in whether you do build  in washout or not and your reasons.

Jim

Doug,   I built in the  w,out in the outer panels only, but reduced from 3mm to 2.4mm.
A taper is much easier to cut from 6mm sheet .

My method was,   I made  my taper length  from R10-R20, and the taper was   2.4mm to zero.
I drew a parallel line to the mainspar of 22mm, this is the distance between mainspar and TE of R20, my taper was pinned to that line with zero under R10.
This has given me the desired washout. 

Changed my mind and decided to start on fuselage. mainly cos peter has already done that part and has posted some good pictures on his blog.

Was that a good decision. Peter's photos came in really handy so i could check what  b1,b2,b3 and b4 looked. I eventually found them on the plan but peter your pictures gave me the confidence to get started, so thanks
Jim

Jim,
If you Google " Tony Nijhuis Designs" click on "Whats New" Tony had added photos of  5 model constructions, including the Lysander.   It's worth a view.

It's advisable not to glue the formers until you do some stringer tests, as a former has only to be a smidge out of place to cause the 'wavey stringer look'.

Produce the two inner box sides, when dry accurately mark the former positions with a pencil and square off, but remember they are handed. now finish your box. 
The firewall will give a certain amount of rigidity.
Slide on your formers to their respective positions and clamp. Now test with a few strings.  By rights they should be spot on, but 1mm can cause the stringer a rise or fall, if there is a problem,  readjust the offending former,and mark it's new position.    

A few minutes now can save much heartache.

Well i have completed the first part B1-5 at last, but only after a mishap. glued B5 in wrong handed so the sides werent even when joined at rear. managed a rescue and now OK.

I will have to read the notes far more critically in future. Still at least i realised it looked wrong so thats a start.

Terry i am working on formers using your suggestion and peter's method of measuring as a double check.

Deep breath and on to the next stage. #

Jim