Building the Nijhuis Lysander

Advert

Hi Guys,

Keep the thread going, I have followed it since Rookie Jim started. Why ? Because, on impulse, I persuaded my wife it was what I wanted for my Chrissy present that year. It was not on my 'must build' list, but I have a preference for models that are not common place. However, she is not started yet, but in the queue, one of five kits (about number 3 in turn). I am still working on my 'Little Toot' which has a plastic cowl as awkward as Lizzies spats look and sound. My next scale kit is of the Fairey Firefly, a long time must build.

Cheers. Alan.

Morning Alan, its nice to have models others don't or lease only a few have.

I have always wanted to build the FF's sucessor the Fary Gannet , I was around when it came into service with the RN.

Looks like it might be a while before you build Lizzy but there is a lot of build info to read here and other forums etc

What kit is the FF being built from?

Hi guys,

I started building my Lizzy in September and was already half way, or even more, when I found this forum, if I had read all the posts earlier I certainly could have done better, the "early" members did a great job here. Anyway there is still a lot to be done so the all the help I can get is welcome and I will be glad if I can help someone. In my next posts I will show some photos of what I have done so far.

When I was working on the wings I was about to install working slats, but after a while I desisted for it was too difficult for me (maybe someone skilled like Supermario could do it), I think the slat should have the very right profile and agree with Clive, the slats won’t help much, if not worse, so Noel think twice before going on operational slats.

Johan

Well, you guys have spurred me into action! I had almost lost interest in the spats because (a) they were proving to be tricky and (b) once in the sky the model looks good without them. Anyway, I dug out some photos I took of the Shuttleworth Lysander a few years back, and I'm surprised how "wrong" mine are -- they're too fat at the rear, not going back to as much of a point as the real ones do. So I'm going to see if I can correct them before I mount them on my model.

lysander 041a.jpg

Thanks Alan, look forward to the build.

Johan, that looks very nice and I noticed the Nav lights..........Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm might have to fit some on mine.

I would be interested to know what power system you are intending to use,motor,prop,batteries etc.

The spats are a pain but if you work slowly they will turn out OK. I cut to within about 3mm of the lines on the spats and then workedcarefully to get one area on a pair to fit (straight part) and gradually moved along that edge until bottom. This way you stand a good chance of less gaps to fill.

I fitted mant tags to the edge of the spat (as per mario) and as they are flexible you can glue a bit at a time and get it right.

All the best with the spats just take your time. Look forward to a picture when they are finished.cool

Hi everyone, I have read through this thread with great interest, I have purchased plans from Tony Nijhuis and I'm just researching in preparation to start a scratch build. If anyone has any advise or have built a similar size lysander I would be very greatful of your help. In particular I need info on the wing slats and flaps as I plan to replicate the full size version.

Thanks for your instruction on the spats Clive, it will help me a lot.

About the electric setup: I bought all what is recommended on Tony's site, that is the 4 Max config., simply I could not do better due to lack of experience.

As I live in Brazil I don't belong to the lucky ones who can see and take pictures of a real Lysander, so for details I have to use the photos from airliners.net or still better from the excellent book "Westland Lysander" by James Kightly. In my opinion this one is almost a must for all who are building a Lizzy model.

The problem is this book seems to be out of print, I bought used one from Amazon.uk, they have still two available one priced absurdly £ 92.00!!! the other £ 400.81 (can’t believe it, must be a mistake), I paid for my used one £ 18,00. If any of you want this book send me a message, maybe I can help you.

Hi All, The quality of the moulding of the canopy is pretty awful.

If you examine the full size, it is really pretty simple, and in three separate parts. Most of it with simple single curvature, except the two curved bits at the front.

I wonder about making one. Has anyone tried this? What about a frame. Any thoughts greatly appreciated

ernie

• 3 weeks later...

dscf1125.jpgdscf1128.jpg

Well I had written a bit and the website decided to loose it all. So after 5 attempts I got the pics in my album

She balanced pretty much spot on the C of G on the plan with out extra weight. Weighs 3.2Kg or 7Lbs. 2 pics are of my Lizzy temporaly assembed on the C of G machine and the other is the aircraft I have based mine on. I love this C of G machine as you can move bits around the aircraft with out the risk of it falling to get the C of G right without adding unnecessary weight .

Mario was kind enough to send me the undercarriage alloy bent and drilled and would not take anything for it, not even postage. People on the forums constantly amaze me with their generosity .

2094410.jpg

Edited By Clive45 on 22/03/2013 03:01:21

Hi Clive,

Theres some very tidy work there ,she looks very straight and true ,she should fly beutifully,

wink 2The photo of the finished model hanging in your workshop in the third photo looks like a museum quality detailed model, You've got a very good collection in the background too,I'm jealous of your models and your workshop too !

I,m interested in your CofG machine

Just how does that work ?,

I can only make out two slings made of string , and is there a plumb line hung over the fuselage ?

But how does the machine work ,surely the slings will just hold the model at any level ?

I would love to know your method

Regards Noel

Edited By Noel Eaton on 22/03/2013 14:25:43

It looks very good already Clive, in the colors of the MA-J your model will be fantastic. I just finished my struggle with the spats, now I will do the wing roots and start the covering (Oratex). I never painted a model before, I hope I can manage it. What paint are you using Clive? I won't find the same here in Brasil but with the specs I will be able to find some similar. Are you going to make the ladder? I used copper capillary AC tubing for mine, very easy to work with. Next week I will send some pics.

Hi Johan, Thankyou very much for the praise. Mine is covered in Solartex, same thing different make, easy to work with. I put mine on with a lower heat and then stretched it with a higher heat afterwards.

I use household Acrylic paint and put it on with a small foam 1" wide (25mm), I get sample pots of paint mixed to my color at the local paint store. I use Dulux make.

Yes I will be putting a ladder on, I have just put the blisters on the cowl and I am making the exhaust at present.

Certainly will look forward to your pics and I will put afew up as I progress. Please post the ladder pics.

Cheers

Clive

Thanks for your info about the paint Clive. Here is a detail of the ladder.

camerazoom-20121110192221711.jpg

The wood at top (and bottom not shown) are just to hold the sides in place for soldering.

There is not much to show for the tank, I used a spray can sheeted with 1/64 midwest ply, front and rear are solid balsa. For easy removal of the tank I glued 4 wheel collars in the fuselage.

camerazoom-20130325144058626.jpg

camerazoom-20130302135956248.jpg

Finaly I am ready with my spats

camerazoom-20130324155141709.jpg

Thanks Johan, very nice work all round, very neat build. The spats look great.

Don't forget to give them and the cowl a rub down with wet&dry (as used for cars) paper for the paint to key on too. I also use a water based clear polyuethane floor sealer (satin or matt) after all the painting is done.

Keep up the good work

Clive