Just starting out and have some questions..

Greg Lloyd

Just to confuse everbody a bit more I have a EPP combat wing that has the ailerons mixed to work from both sticks!!
This means that i have full control on the left hand stick when I hand launch it (right handed. Once in the air I can fly it normal mode 1. That must make the transmitter a mode 1.5 or something.

(I wish we had smilies on this forum I could use a few 'laughing'ones here)

All good fun!

I can only fly "mode 2" if it is up nice and high ! DONT ask me to do fast low inverted passes :(
I guess really what it is, is that I ( like most experienced flyers, fly most of the time as if we are driving our car, IE on auto pilot. One does not concieously think about "press the clutch, and release the throttle" it just sort of happens automatically. 'tis the same with flying, EXCEPT when very low and inverted, when |I do tend to "switch to manual" and actually concentrate and think hard :)
I have been asking for smilies since this forum started, havent I mr moderator :)

In general, Mode 2 is the accepted mode for a trainer like the Arising Star, and all the rest of the high wing trainers,which have 4 functions.Throttle and rudder on the left. Ailerons and elevator on the right.For all its worth I would advise you to learn using this mode,simply because I have yet to come across a Warbird,3D,aerobatic,scale model,that does not use this mode.I am sure there are some out there,Just my tuppence worth.Have fun.

Actually there is no such thing as the "accepted mode" for ANY type of plane flying ( even the odd full size has variations )
The only "norm" is as already suggested....use the mode that your instructor uses, and the one that is prevelant in your particular club.
Although maybe a dying breed, our club of 60+ members is almost all mode 1.
....the right one incidentally LOL

O. K. I have me coat on.....Just saying,in my opinion,most tx are mode 2,ratchet gimbal on left and all that...car started...most manuals tend to set up mode 2...vroom vroom....and Only one member in the club flys mode 1,flying a Rascal or Zephyr I think....Neeeeowmmm.Me thinks "accepted" was too strong a word:):) Once ye fly and enjoy.

Mine was setup in the early days of my flying experience by wiggle and see, lol
I have my throttle on the left (mode 2) along with the rudder and on the right is the flappy things on the wings and the flippy things on the tail. I really didnt know there was such a thing as Mode 1,2,3,4, untill I started reading rcm&e a few years later.

But then it didnt matter cos a) I was crashing alot b) It was all I knew c) I was flying and having the enjoyment I wanted (want) from my HOBBY,

There,s a penny form me lol

Lee :-) oh still no smile's :-(

Hi Greg,
To answer you last question, I was trying to teach someone who suffered from Parkinson's Disease. He had an Irvine Tutor 40 and I can tell you that that was stressed to incredible loads when I would have to pull it out of verticle dives from 0 feet. It never failed in the air.
I have just assembled a Jumper 25, (Baby Arising Star) and had to add 6 ounces of lead in the nose.
From the flying side I doubt if you could tell any difference between any of them.
And if you are wondering about all the guff about modes going on, Find out what the club you are joining use and buy that because that way they can fly your model.

We still remember with amusement a club member who learned on Mode 2, throttle left, elevator right.
He decided that the other way was better and so changed over.
All went well until he decided to do an overshoot and slammed the throttle forward, only snag was...it was now the elevator.
He went back to Mode 2 in a hurry, once he had built a new model that is.

Hi guys, i have been lucky enough to fly in full sise aircraft before i started flying rc models and in all the types i flew in the left hand controls power while the right hand controls pitch and role,plus feet for rudder,so when i fly models that feels most comfortable to me.left hand is power and rudder and right hand is pitch and role,but at the end of the day you should just fly with what feels most comfortable to you ..