GlowSwitch Plus v2.13

Palmerama

As I had trouble with my inverted 4 stroke idling I felt the need for one of these onboard glow sytems.

I have fitted and tested its operation on a 3 way switch on channel 5 as stated in the instructions.

The switch in the 'Off' position the glow plug is without power.

The switch in the 'Automatic' position from idle up to 50% throttle the plug has power and is then without power after this 50% throttle point up to max throtle.

The switch in the Manual position leaves the glow plug with power on all the time from idle to full throttle.

In my opinion 50% seems to high for the 'automatic' switching of the power and the only way so far to put it into calibration has been to plug the on board glow system into the throttle (channel 3) on the receiver. When returned back to channel 5 it is back to the same setup as above in automatic at 50%.

On my Futaba 7C I have programmed the mixing of channel 5 and channel 3 as follows:

P-MIX1
MAS CH3
SLV CH5
SW E (with the middle  dash and bottom arrow up)

I then found the error of my ways, when checking the settings I realised the percentage of RT allowed me to adjust where on my throttle my glow power would switch off on the automatic setting. Much easier than any calibration to alter the switching point.
The manual did give some instuctions but it was for a Futaba Field Force 9 (9CP) some what different to my controller.

I was going to ask where I was going wrong but then I found the RT%

I hope this may help any others on there setting up.

Regards
Kevin

Advert

Not familiar with the one you have Palmerama,but you should be able to connect it to the throttle channel via a Y lead and not worry about any mixes.The only switching on, is via a   switch on the model providing power to the battery driving the unit(which you don't manualy switch on when priming etc.),and the processor looks after the rest when you calibrate it through stick movement.I would avoid the 3way switch and prog. mix setup........I could be way off here.....

Thanks Aslan

I have it working fine on the 3 way switch, works brilliantly as I described and I can adjust by my controller when the power comes in when set to automatic. I can also turn it on or off.

It was confusing me to start with but I took another look whilst about to ask for help and already sorted it out.

I still posted it as I thought the info. might help others and I would recommend one of this type and model to others.

Regards
Kevin

• 1 year later...
I have inherited this very same on-board glow switch. I have I think inadvertently altered the programming of it.
Yesterday I was tuning the engine it fires and found it was active from idle to 50% initially. Then the glow battery flattened and it was only active at idle.
This morning after charging the battery it still operates only at idle and 50%trim or less.
Anyone know how to change this?
Steve

Infact it's a GlowSwitch Plus v.3 and it has "www.rcmodeladdict.com" on it - but it's a dead link.
I had another play with it this evening.
It has an LED which flickers red/blue on start up for about 3 seconds, before going into its mode of operation.
The device is powered by a single 3300mAh cell and linked to the throttle servo and throttle output of the receiver.

When playing this evening I discovered that wiggling the throttle stick up and down 1-2 times during the start up flashing, altered the programming and the position that the stick finishes in may well end up being the tip-over point, where the glow goes out.
So I tried a few positions and got the glow to expire after 1/3 throttle stick position. I'm happy with this at present.
There is also a "on all the time" mode and an "idle only, off after 10 seconds" mode too, via the stick-wiggling programming but for the life of me I cannot tell you how to get to either of these with any authority!
I do rather like the idea of mixing the throttle with say aux2, set-up  with the 3 position toggle switch on the Spekky DX7, such that the glow would be disabled in the down position, automatic (ie on all the time upto 1/3 throttle) in the middle switch position and on all the time regardless of throttle position when the 3 pos switch is up.
That's for another time.

Edited By Steve Fish on 05/02/2011 12:00:03

Found this link Steve.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190489342385

It might help you as there is a seller that you can contact if you have a problem. Think it's the unit you have. I would steer clear of having it on all the time. The way you have it set up now seems the way to go. On my one, when tranny and model is switched on, I simply throttle up and then down and it activates the glow. My engine cut is on a switch so it disables the driver when I flip it to cut the engine. Hope this helps.

Yes I agree that for now the way it is set up (however i did it!) is the way to go.
I have in fact emailed the very seller you refer to! I have extensively googled this issue hence contributing to this forum thread which was a bit old. I really appreciate your thoughts on it. THanks.

• 3 weeks later...
I have finally read the instruction for both the glowswitch AND my Spektrum Tx and assigned 2 mixes involving the throttle and gear switches, with the 3 position switch too.
So I have Flap 0, automatic setting (with just a couple of clicks of throttle up from idle as the trip-over point to switch off the glow driver), glow always off and glow always on, but both Flap 0 and Flap 2 on the 3 pos. switch can be overridden by the gear switch.

You need to employ two different mixes - one for each active position of the 3 position switch.

I tried the previous settings out today (1/3 throttle trip -over point) on my OS140RX-powered Comp-Arf Impact and it quickly drained the glowswitch glow driver battery. I suspect the glow plug was unnecessarily hot for far too long during the flights.

• 1 month later...
Hi, does anyone know how to contact this heliaddict guy because I am after two twin units and he will not respond. The previous links do not work. Do you know of an alternative other than the SM services one which is rather bulky and I witnessed one drain the battery to nothing after two flights last week.

Martin

Some glow drivers require you to calibrate everytime you switch on by moving the throttle fully open then back to idle. I think that's the case with the one Just Engines do.

There's also the South Herts Advanced Glow Switch. This one does not work on throttle setting - it monitors the glow plug temperature and switches on if needed at any throttle position.(http://www.southhertsmodels.co.uk/IGs.htm)

The point being? Well, with a normal glow switch you abort on a rich engine then the glow heater will be on whilst on idle but of course an abort should be on full throttle and as soon as you go to full throttle - no glow heater. Can defeat the the point of having it! The AGS will light up anytime it's needed. A friend of mine had one and it was very succesful. That convinced me that I should get one - I've not used it yet though.

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 06/04/2011 01:00:11

I bought two of these for a twin engined plane, and I've been busy fitting them today and learning how to program my 8FG to get it to work in multi mode. Everything seems to be doing what it should i.e. I can have it switched off, permanently on or extinguishing at 30% throttle all on the 3 way switch. Took a while to get my head round it, but pretty simple once I cracked it.

I wanted to try these on my Dual Ace first because I'm going to fit these to my new B-25 for a bit of added security. I've never used an onboard glow, but I was having a look at a friends model with a similar set up, and his tick over was incredibly low and very reliable.

Got the other wing to sort out tonight, but if I can help, please let me know.

Cheers,

Simon

Edited By simon burch on 11/04/2011 20:38:15

Hi, got two of the AGS-2 from SHM on Saturday and have just finished setting one up on the bench. Quite simple to use and am now glad that I spent the extra money on ones which will energise the glow up to nearly full throttle. Have managed to get it to energise right down to idle as I do not want throttle cut. Highly recommended so far.

Martin

Well, all fitted. Just need a day without so much wind outside to go and test. Should be much easier to work on, never liked reaching round for the glow stick on the port engine with the nacelle so close to the fuselage.

I'm not really sure why you would want the glow to be energised all the way up to full throttle? Wouldn't it just have been cheaper to wire in switch and have them lit all the time?

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 05/04/2011 20:39:31:
Hi, does anyone know how to contact this heliaddict guy because I am after two twin units and he will not respond. The previous links do not work. Do you know of an alternative other than the SM services one which is rather bulky and I witnessed one drain the battery to nothing after two flights last week.

Martin
Hello Martin,
Sorry, I do not know why the links do not work but I cannot edit them to make them work. I have however copied the address into a new browser tab and it comes up.
try it.
It seems it will automatically download to your browser's download folder. Then if it has, open it with adobe reader.
If you PM me your email address I will email you a copy of the manual. Reply to this message when you have PM'd me.
Once you understand how the device works, it is really quite straight forward to programme.
Additionally, the ebay link above is still active for heliaddict.

Best wishes
Steve

• 4 years later...

The manual is at GlowSwitch Plus manual 1 http://www.rchelispot.com/viewtopic.php?t=15591

and its companion post GlowSwitch Plus manual 2 http://www.rchelispot.com/viewtopic.php?t=15592

for the front and back covers of the manual.

Looks like the GlowSwcth Plus is no longer made or represented it used to have its own website then Heliaddict but both have dissappeared.