Yet another Ripmax Spit

Tim Mackey

Owning and loving my  IC 4T powered S/A Spifire, I decided it was time to get something that I could more readily throw off the big rock. With Xmas approaching, and wifey getting proficient on the slopes and sharing a love of PSS models, I have bought her a Ripmax Spit.  I know there are several threads running on this model but mine ( oops her's ) will be a bit different for a few reasons.
1) Electric - but flown mainly as sloper. ( No Phil - not for combat )
2) I will be fitting Inrunner rather than my more usual Outrunner
3) I hope to modify it to fit an on-board sound system

Just ordered the model right this minute from Leeds Models ( cheapest I could find it at £78.99, plus a reasonable £9 shipping).
Motor arrived this morning - I decided on an Inrunner to simplify the fitting a bit - 1200 Kv, 450Watt,  from George Worley at Purple Power. Feels and runs like a nice bit of kit, and I also opted for the nice vented ali folding blade style spinner in 50mm.
I will likely use a 10 X 7 prop on 3s Lipo and aim for around 250+ Watts approx.

Until the kit arrives, I am unsure about speakers for the sound system, but am thinking probably twin 3" units possibly one in each wing, or maybe depending on space and size of panels, up around the nose /side area.
Radio gear I already have.... Spekky AR500 and HS81MGs all round.
50A Turnigy ESC and inbuilt BEC will supply the radio.

I have read the various threads so far, and in summary I think the following is about right. Please chip in if I have missed 'owt
1) Reinforce the motor mounting area - poorly glued.
2) Add CF or piano wire to elevator joiner.
3) Likely AUW between 2.75 - 3.5lbs.

Looking forward to this

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 05/11/2009 20:02:21

Advert

timbo-the one i had flew straight out of the box so to speak-it was the mk 1 version and not a happ'eth of bother-all credit to whoever designed it..i had a tornado outrunner in it and a 3s/3200/20c lipo in - sold it a few weeks ago to fellow club member...

ken anderson..........(ps-thought you mentioned your 2009 model budget was nearly spent)..........

Well I absolutely LOVE my Ripmax Spit!  It flies beautifully and looks the part in the air.  I used an MVVS 3.5/1200 driving (if I remember correctly) an 11 X 7 prop.  I beefed up the motor mount area with a couple of strips of ply and epoxy, but other than that it's out of the box.  With 3s 3300 LiPos I get 10-minute flights with plenty of reserve.  Nice, big loops, victory rolls, low, fast strafing runs - fantastic!

Cheers,

Tim.

Posted by andy watson on 05/11/2009 23:31:43:
Can I suggest your biggest problem might be getting sufficient volume through the speakers at a sensible weight.  I seem to remember they were fairly hefty when I was considering one for the stuka.
 I am prepared for this issue, but dont feel its going to be a major hurdle. As you may know from other threads, I have successfully used a sound system on-board a Hangar 9 camel ( yes I know its a bigger and heavier model ) and this used just 1 x 4" speaker at 20 Watts input. I am hoping that 2 x  3" 10 watt units that I have will be OK on this project. Total weight of the 2 speakers and module is around 14 oz so sure it will incease the wing loading, but not I hope, beyond reasonable levels.
Alternatively, I may try the single 4" in the nose as this weighs only 6 oz.. We will see.

Posted by Phil Wood - Moderator on 06/11/2009 08:18:18:
Timbo is making me jealous again so I'm going to rain on his parade.
You could install a 1000 Watt PA system and a couple of 15" Bass Bins but you'll still have a job hearing it against the wind noise at the top of that Rock.

Should be good at the club field though.

Polyphilla.
 The plan is to use the model mainly in lighter lift and hence "quieter" days at the slope - after all with 300 Watts on tap, hitting the sink sholdnt be a worry.
I figure it may sound OK on a nice pass across the face of the slope as the sun starts setting on that calm warm summers evening
And of course as you say, should be fine on the flat field site too!

Gotta give a quick to Leeds Model shop. The model was ordered late at night online, on Thursday 5th.
Yesterday ( 6th ) I had a call from them to discuss a few other bits and bobs I had ordered they made suggestions of alternatives for a particular item. Their advice was sound, and they were polite and helpful. I confirmed the changes.
A big box of Spitfire arrived this morning 7th Nov.
Excellent service in my book.
Probably wont start the build until mid week...other projects are underway already, and can't multitask

Doubt it warrants another build thread TBH - there are already several on here for this model. If I come up against anything odd or special, I will post
My sound module is on its way back to Canada for some hardware changes, so it may be that I retro-fit the system  - highly unlikely to be able to wait for the turnaround before we want to get her in the air, and I have all the powertrain and radio gear ready to fit, so patience will likely be too thin to wait. Besides, once I suss it all out on the bench, I may decide as Andy suggests - its just too small and light to be a feasible project. We will see.
2 x 3" speakers arrived today, but they are almost twice the weight of my single 20Watt 4"  so unlikely to be using these