Nihjuis Spitfire 62"

i do not want to exceed the design weight but i am thinking of cutting in some lightening holes in the ribs and maybe in some formers. At the moment i have an OS 65 LA, and thinking do i really want a fourstroke which i know will sound brillant, but which size and make would you guy/gals suggest, i've been drooling over OS, SC, Saito but there are'nt any 60 size fourstroke about. Personally, if i do go for fourstroke i think a '70', but im not sure this is where you guys/gals come in. In Tony's article it is suggested that some nose weight will be needed so im also thinking of making a scale exhaust system and hopefully serve as both.

I think a .70 four stroke will have plenty of power for this model. I think TN's Spitfire had a .70 four stroke in and that flew very well indeed, check out the video on here.
ASP do a .61 four stroke, I know because I have one in my geebee sportster, it goes well. Choice of engine is a personel thing, I own OS, Saito and SC, all great engines, My choice would be another Saito tho.

Iain.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi.
I'm also busy with the plane, so far all went fine. I chose a 4-cycle RCV-60SP for an engine as this has in-built 2:1 gear which allows to turn scale props with high pitch. This engine fits inside the cowlings and only the exhaust will stick out, although this can also be built scale.

No sun without a shadow: I do have a slight but irritating problem: the retracts from Unitracts suggested by TN do not fit inside the wing when closed but hang open. if you look carefully at the photos in RCM&E this is indeed the case. Ugly mishap for otherwise great plan. This is because at the point where the wheel goes in the wing has a TOTAL clearance of 44 mm. However, from this the rib takes some 5-6 mm, meaning that the oleo and wheel could have a max thickness of 38 mm, 35 mm or so if you count in the hatch and its fixings. This means that if one would like to have a completely closing setup the thicknes of the wheel could only be around 22-23 mm. Has anyone an idea where to get 31/4 wheels with less than 1"  thickness or do I have to start 'slimming' my Dub-Ro wheels?

Hello,

I haven't started my project due to work and studying commitments but im going to use saito 72 and air retracts on mine. I cant comment on your experience but i will bear in mind when i do get to this stage,i have measured my retracts against the plan and it would appear mine should clear top and bottom skins, but  i shall let you know how i get on.

I've been struggling to get obechi strip around where i live so opted for spruce, i could mail order for them but i dont think it would be cost effective. However im also thinking of making lightening holes in some of the ribs.

I am currently building the Nijhuis spitfire of electric power

Its meant for a 0.61 IC but i have a 5065 turnigy to power it.

I wouldn't do air retracts if i were you. the plan shows mechanical retracts which you can buy form unitracts international. they will fit perfectly.

If you did go for an air system i dont know where you would put the air cylinder becasue the wings are only about 50mm tall and the fuse is quite compact. 

No reason why they couldn't be shortened, I guess. For my retracts problem above: I have ordered 3" Du-Bro Diamond wheels which are only 23 mm thick, by removing a bit off the rib in the wheels bay they should fit in nicely with the Unitracts oleos. We'll see if the plane will be a nosy one by missing only 1/4 " from suggested...otherwise, some other changes for the plan was made: I also built in flaps going from W2 until the aileron, the servo for this will be built in the cooler unit. For the cooling of RCV60SP I have decided to use the scoop under the engine to direct air inside the cowling, the outlet will be either built around the live exhausts and/or via an extra outlet tubing leading the hot air to the coolers in the wing...ambitious plans, uh?

The retracts bearer extends beond W£ so that you dont have to fill it with somthing else. If you do not keep it extened then you will be  able to see right inside the wing!

Snaba, How did you do your flaps? I was thinking of doing the same idea but i guess you renefoced it with something becasue just the soft 2.4mm sheet wont be enough to with stand deployment at full speed!

Will, I just basically replaced the sheeting from the last bottom spar almost all the way to the t.e. with 2.5 mm plywood, but not all the way, there will be a 3x5 mm balsa strip attached to the t.e. so that the flap will cloes fully. I prepared three hinges that I glued inside the flaps and they are connected to the ribs with 3 mm nylon bolts. For the flaps I had to make little cuts at the position of the ribs so that the front part of the flap actually turns inside the wing when the flap is deployed. I could take a picture and post it here, maybe it would help explain the construct?

• 3 weeks later...
hi,

I think i've got a problem with the wings and that is, after i sheeted the the top and took the wing off the board i found that the wing panel bowed slightly up and i wondered if it could be because only one side is sheeted, incidently both wing panels bowed about the same degree.
Has anyone come across a similar predicament?

batcho,

unfortunately, due to typical reasons (one of them carries 2 copies of x chromosome, the one is only 2 years old and the third helps to finance everything) I had no time to get to my plane recently but after x-mas I will dedicate a WHOLE week for it (all three excuses eliminated). So, I'll make some pics about the flap construction for all of us. Hopefully I can also start with the wing mounting, retracts I finally managed to get to go inside the wing using right size wheels.

Macsood, I didn't have any twist in ym construction but I don't think a slight bend after paneling one side will be a problem, it can probably be compensated when paneling the other side. But just in case: I hope all your spars were straight? With one of my first planes I didn't check the main spars good enough for this and the end result was a one-sidedly twisted wing. As this was a ribbed wing without planking I could compensate this with the foil but with a fully planked wing this is not doable...or maybe it is but I just didn't learn the trick

Hi Snaba,

I did check my spars twice before commencing the build and they were straight, i am using spruce for my spars but that shouldn't have any effect on the build. Maybe or hopefully the panel will straighten out when i sheet the other side, like you mentioned but i'll see if it does.
I await your pictures of your flap construction.

I guess then the problem will either disappear when sheeting the other side, or, you'll have equally upwars bent wings on both sides

Here some pics about my flaps construction, I hope they explain the basic idea. Now I'm installing the servos, the arm will be inside the flap. Curious to see how that'll work, test last night was encouraging, though...it's -4 and snowing outside, time to go back to the garage!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

This is my first build and its generally gone really well, except, since sheeting, the wings have warped. I joined them despite this mismatch and now I need to remedy it.

In front view the L.E. tip of one wing is "raised" compared to the other, and the T.E. of the opposite  wing is raised compared to the other.

Seperately each wing looks fine, and blends in to the fuselage line, so my dilema is not knowing which wing is correct and which needs "bending" to match the other. 

I have checked the rib profiles, laid a ruler on them, checked against the plan, looked at photos of full size spits, but nothing really tells me which wing is correct.      

Has anyone any ideas how to confirm which has the correct angle of attack?  Or does it not matter much ?

Hi,
From the looks of it, from the photo supplied; the wing on the left looks ok, the one on the right looks to be twisted.  You are going to have to try and get rid of this twist, but I do not like your chances.  Your fuselage also looks twisted in this photo.

This is the 46" Spit yeah?

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 07/01/2010 21:28:30