Nihjuis Spitfire 62"

Suspect the "Clansman" approach to electric aircraft does not work! A lot to learn just like Bowman systems! Can be a guru on both but the only thing is to play around and with the knowledge you have on electrics already John, Bob will be you Uncle!

• 2 weeks later...
Well,

she's just about finished, just got to box off the wheel wells and weather the wings and  that's one more project off the production line.

I recieved the batteries today to series up two 3s's and when it stops raining I'll give it a run up to see what I can ring out of it.

Hope you like it?

I'm quite happy with the way the join line on the wing has worked out but it did take a lot of rubbing down to get it how I wanted it.

Next up, stop building and get them flying.

John

Hi guys,

well it's stopped raining and results are; All up weight of 8lbs, 750watts per lb at 32amps, with a 14x7 prop, which I think give me around about 93 watts per lb.

please tell me that's enough to fly her?

Snaba the panel lines are just drawn on with a black biro but because I'm drawing over Poly c they give an indentation just like the real thing and look quite effective. The lettering decals I bought from www.pyramidmodels.com and they've got everything you would need for all different scale models. The roundels I did myself on the computer using Inkjet creative stickers, from www.photopapernow.co.uk  I draw them using autocad freestyle which is a free download from the net, and then just print them off.

Pyramid also do the roundels if you want to buy them but I like to make my own.

hope this helps

Regards

John

Ignoring your typo of "750 watts per lb at 32 A " and assuming your figure is actually 93 watts per pound, I would say yes - just might be OK.
As I said earlier, "flying" on those figures is fine - you will likely find it will average a heck of a lot less, but for take off, loops, and that burst of power you sometimes find you need, its not a whole lot. Best of luck.

Lovely plane John , it really looks good in the scheme that you have choosen.

I have flown a 8.5 pound H9 P47 a few times on 650 watts ,  it flies fine though loops are small and a bit challanging . The AXI 4130/16 is spinning a 15*8 at the moment , I will carry on flying this setup untill I recieve the 16*10 ordered .

Personally I will be happy with 90-100 watts per pound . I try to fly in a scale manner and besides I do how overpowered 3D models if the mood takes me

well this is my spitfire! I am going for the paint scheme of the spitfire MK9 at duxford. painted using flair products paints and high build primer. I have tried to do panel lines but they didnt show up so well so i didnt bother on the wings! I have the decals on order from Pyramid models for the spitfire ZD*B Hope you all like! 

Thanks for the remarks guy's,

always nice to know that the hard work!!! is appreciated.

Nice job Will, are you going to put the cannons on? As a side note Allan, talking about watts per pound. you mention flying a P 47 on 650 watts, I have been flying a Ripmax Mustang for about two years now and never really bothered to check the power to weight ratio as I Bought it  with the motor installed as second hand and just assumed the builder would have put the right motor in. I installed a 70 amp ESC and I have been running it on a loong max 2250 4s, I have had nearly a hundred flights with it and it has been a dream to fly, not quite aerobatic but very scale like. Imagine my suprise when I put it on the wattmeter for the first time yesterday and found out it was pulling 56 amps at 850 watts!!!! It only weighs just under 3 pound with a 11x7 prop on. My thoughts were bloody hell, those batteries must have been put through the mill. And you know what I've been using the same two batteries for two years and they are only now just starting to reduce my flight times to about 7-8mins. Prior to this on half throttle (which is what she flies best on) I was getting 10-12 mins plus.

Give it up for Giant Cod that's what I say!

John

Hi,

Still enjoying flying my spit, what a plane ! and its still in one piece !

I found the ESC getting really hot when pushing it  on two flights using the 4max set up so I removed the front intake scoop and hollowed it out with a Dremel and cut out a hole in the fus so now the intake really is an air intake !!.... hopefully cooling the electrics  

"Engine" cowl's held on wth magnets...

John, Oh yes im going for the full works and cannons is on the list. I have had to edit the plans to make it more scale. For instance the tailwheel is now scale and note the engine airintake under the fuse. I have also gone for the round exhausts!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi all.
Just wondering how many of your got the plane in the air this season? At least here in germany even the ducks walk these day and spit would probably look kind of kinky with skiis. I got a bit stuck with mine after covering the whole plane with Oracover, was not really happy about the result and am planning to strip it down and replace with glass. Also, as Jim here I'd love to get a good tip how to best make nice exhausts! John, maybe you..?

For a model of this size just do as I did and buy the Vortex vacforms. I have just done a 1:5 Hurri and wanted them to look right but it is a real pain. The round bits were made by wrapping gf around an aluminium tube wrapped with tape then wax coated. The other parts were formed from balsa and moulded again from gf, the result cut and glued together. It looks great and was the only way I could think of making this part as to my knowledge nothing commercial is available. I woud not contemplate doing this on a smaller scale.

• 9 months later...