Matt finish on iron on films?

Advert

Take some "00" grade steel wool from any motor/DIY store and lightly rub the whole model down with.

Next get hold of some Ronseal matt Clear Vanish (water based) and brush or sray the model. Leave a couple of days to dry and harden off,although the vanish is dry in a short time, its still best to give it a couple of days. You now should have a lovely matt finish. There is a down side which is that due to the nature of solar film "moving" in heat, the vanish in time will start to flake off.

Michael - et al
The Spitfire was never 'fabric covered' - in the prototype the ailerons, elevators and rudded were fabric covered but eveything else was metal skinned. Metal covered ailerons were introduced on the Mk V and metal elavators on (from memory) late Mk. IXs. By the end of its life the rudder was metal covered as well - certainly on the Mk 21 and perhaps earlir - not sure without checking.

Mike

Reason for fabric covered control surfaces?
I cant speak from direct experience (though I am old enough!) but, as a physicist, I suggest the reasons are several - cost, speed of assembly, mass (and therefore inertia), and weight.

Probably the most important were weight and inertia. Reducing both these would enable faster response to manual controls, and less counter-balance required.

Then there is a further matter of quick and cheap repair when holed by lead! Just apply canvas and dope, or whatever.

StarDancer

The easy and permanent way to get a matt finish on painted Solarfilm is to coat with Prymol, paint with Humbrol enamel or Spectra, then brush on a coat of Tufkote mixed 50/50 gloss/matt. This gives the semi-gloss finish typical of WW2. Anyone know where I can still get Furniglass resin, which is Tufcote available in 500ml cans?