Hitec's new aurora 9

tommy

Just wondering what the touch screen is like to use at the field in direct sunlight. Is it like some cell phones that become hard to see .
Is the aroura ,dsm2 compatiable.
Great to see theres another kiwi based modeller here .. A T..

Alan the flybaby floats are great on my calamato..

Edited By kiwi g on 31/01/2010 20:41:35

Edited By kiwi g on 31/01/2010 20:42:50

Aurora Touch Screen is optimised for contrast in all weathers.
Am almost blind in one eye, red/green colour blind both eyes and have yet to have a day in past 10 months screen could not be easily read.
Q&A from another thread may assist:
"[QUOTE=Diggs;13621585]I am wondering if people in the bright sun have on polarized glasses? I can't see my charger screens or my DX7 screen at the field when I have on polarized shades...../QUOTE]
All LCD screens use a polarized filter on them so YES it you are wearing polarized sunglasses there is a chance they will interfere. When viewing your charger, rotate it 90 degrees. At some angle between where you start and 90 degrees you will be able to see it better."

Edited By A.T. on 31/01/2010 20:45:10

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by tommy on 08/02/2010 21:00:09:
   Hi       Anyone know where I could get the battery connectors for the tx battery,so I can run tx on 2 cell lipo and also make up charge lead. 

Been waiting for someone with local electronic store knowledge but as no answer, perhaps the following will help:
The dimensions of the battery compartment are 110 x 45.5 x 16 (L x W x H).
For those with an appropriate alternate charger, the charge lead is fitted with a 1.3mm DC Power Line Female Connector. [1.3mm ID x 3.5 mm OD x 9.5 mm shaft length] NB: Circuit on board will prevent peak detection from most other chargers and as per manual, to avoid possible damage to a very nice transmitter, remove battery and charge externally

Aurora, Eclipse, Optic, Flash & Prism series - Lipol, Field and Fast Charging.:
Hitec provide an accessory part # 58307 for field/fast charging transmitter packs used in the Aurora, Eclipse 7, Optic 6, Optic Sport, Flash and Prism series Transmitters.
This because peak chargers either do not operate or cut off incorrectly due to protection within the charging circuit.

1) Remove Battery Cover.
2) Remove battery from case and gripping rear of battery plug, lift slightly to release the locking tongue, and gently slide out.  Do not pull the wires.
3) Connect #58307 to charger, connect battery pack and charge in terms of relevant charger instructions for battery cell type/count.
4) Observe locating tongue and polarity, as shown in attached pictures, then gently slide battery pack plug onto TX connector.
Refit battery and it's cover. Damage will occur if polarity is reversed.
Eclipse 7, Optic 6, Optic Sport, Flash and Prism series Transmitters' polarity is same as Aurora pictured.
5) [url=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9260053]Diode in TX Charge Circuit[/url] Never Jump TX Charge Circuit Diodes - Hitec FAQ.
6) Alternate TX / Battery plug [url=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9918426&postcount=2]Kyocera Elco mini 2 pin[/url]

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Edited By A.T. on 15/02/2010 07:29:53

Edited By A.T. on 15/02/2010 07:31:48

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have not been keeping up to date with the FAQ page...

Optima RX - Independent Comprehensive Range Test""     The Hitec system worked as well as any I have tested and better than most. It performed better than the Futaba FASST, the Airtronics, the XPS and the JR low end receivers. It performed at least as good as my reference receiver, the JR AR7000."

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {updated}

Regards
Alan T.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there a special trainer lead needed to make the Aurora work with the Phoenix SIM?? The web site says its plugs in directly in ( i assume its the one directly connected to the USB interface), i also have an adaptor used on Dx6i. With the Aurora plugged in the sim does not recognise the TX.

Posted by Sunny on 22/03/2010 10:03:32:
Is there a special trainer lead needed to make the Aurora work with the Phoenix SIM?? The web site says its plugs in directly in ( i assume its the one directly connected to the USB interface), i also have an adaptor used on Dx6i. With the Aurora plugged in the sim does not recognise the TX.
as per
 Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {frequently updated]

Regards
Alan T.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi,
FInished reading the first part of the review in September issue, and the extra photos have confirmed my suspiscions... I am in love with the look of this radio!!!

As a mere DX5 user, i am looking to upgrade and want to give a radio with a computer a go... As a "yooth", and beginner to programming would this be easy to use? I do find myself able to work out most computers as a bit of a "techie" if i do say so myself.

I don't really have the budget to buy say a DX6 then upgrade again in a couple years time, as i will probably want to get my little fleet of models onto the same ttype of radio and stick to it.

Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated

Cheers 

Paddy

• 3 weeks later...
If I wanted 2.4ghz it would definitely be the one I would buy. It seems to be the only one on the market that offers rx's with sensible aerials on the end of leads rather than 2 bits of wire. This leaves a lot of freedom for mounting and can easily cope with carbon fibre fuselages and other possible problems.

John

• 2 months later...
Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 15/08/2010 11:58:44:
I had a fly around with someones model yesterday that was using the Aurora system and it seemed pretty darn good to me - telemetry too.

There are even more Hitec Telemetry gadgets - includes Voice Announcement System and wireless connection to laptop etc. The Minima RX does not have telemetry.
Minima 6E/6T ("E"nd and "T"op connectors) weigh 6g with the case and 4g without. These are non telemetry RX but with full range "There have been some question why this has dual antennas when the Optima can use only one BODA? The simple answer is that they are two different animals. Any time you build something that is lightweight you have to make sacrifices but Hitec were unwilling to sacrifice full range thus dual mini BODA's."

See also the Telemetry section (and video) at
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.

The hall effect current sensors look good, shame the display isn't above the neck strap hook, I find trying to glance at the timer on my Dx6i a real pain, whereas the one on my Cockpit Sx which is above the neck strap is very easy to read and only takes a quick glance.

Maybe they will be bringing out sunglasses with a head up display...............................