Nylon where art though?

Advert

Thanks Timbo and Bert thats great. I will get some on order. It looks like perhaps I ought to stock up as its getting a little harder to find I was very surprised Mike Woodhouse didn't list it, I dare say a phone call would have shown that he does but its just not listed.

I was tempted to try silk.............

Thanks team

Hello Danny, have you considered using Sig Coverall I think its polyester, you stick it round the edges with dope then heat shrink it . It doesnt pull as much asdope and you can fill the weave with none shrinking dope. Most model shops will stock it I think.
You probably know about it already.
                                                                    Cheers FK.

Not being funny, BUT depending on your wing size/ shape (& 'er indoors ?) -Have you considered nylon stockings or tights ? They're very stretchy (as if you didn't know !) and after a couple of coats of dope & fuel proofer almost indestructable .Make sure you get the seam straight on the LE or TE  if using it like a tube If Painting as well any "ladders" will disappear .!5 denier is thin & 30 denier is OK for 40 plus powered models -the flying sort of course ,not what we are all thinking of !
Sort of re-cycling isn't it .
I used to use them on control-liners years ago when the only other choice was tissue .
G-UMPY1
Not yet found a use for old suspender belts

Hi Alan, thx for the link to Inwoods  i am starting to move away from Nylon as i have heard the shrink can be a little aggresive.

Myron what can I say.... had not even considered that route. Was just looking into silk over tissue maybe I should consider stockings over tissue instead

Its for the fuselage on a Brian Taylor hurricane BTW

Cheers
Danny

Danny
Nylons/tights  don't shrink like "proper" nylon covering 'cos it's not such close weave ,I guess . I simply wouldn't bother with tissue underneath the nylon-unless you might want to help hide any descrepancies in the wood surface finish ?
Try it on an open structure & on sheeting just as a trial -I think you'll be converted !
Not only that, if you do have have a serious rip on the model whilst flying & if 'er indoors is with you - no probs.

Danny,

I tried 100% polyester dress lining for covering. ( picked up info on this from another forum. )

Unfortunately it has already been pre shrunk so it has to be put on with balsaloc or similar.

With the heat while sticking it to the frame you must pull it tight.

I then applied 100% dope on top of the balsaloc'd bits to seal it prior to doping with 50/50 dope/thinners. I hold the surfaces vertically so the thinned dope does not pool in the centre ( of wing rib bays etc ). If the weave is tight, only about 2 coats are needed to get it weatherproof but not fuelproof Some shrinkage will take place with doping and I got some nice drum tight wings with 2 coats

If there is any slack before doping, then the shrinking will tend to concentrate the slack on one location. I then found that some of this would heat shrink with the iron set a little bit hotter. You know you are too hot when the colour starts to fade from the material. Hopefully i can enclose a pic of my scaled up Mamselle 72" span covered in lilac material with purple tissue trim ( after all it is a Mamselle !! ) This was a test bed for this covering as wings fairly standard but the fuselage is round which presented a real challenge for this type of covering

100% dress lining is available at material shops ( dont be shy about going into a shop full of young ladies and fiddling about with the material checking for tightness of weave and weight ( it is light ) - I found them very helpful !!

There are a variety of weights/weaves/ colours ancluding patterns. Costs about £2 per running metre between 40 and 60" wide - very useful size for cutting various sections out to cover a model. When I covered my 108" / 18" chord Mamselle with solartex a long time ago, I used almost a whole 10 mtre roll and was left with a lot of almost useless bits because of the 27" width.

hope you find this posting helpful

John

Hi Myron and John, thanks for all the information it is very much appreciated. I am still very much in the air over the covering material I will use, if the model wasn't quite such an investment in time and money I would try some of these ideas.

I will let you know what I go for and how I get on.

Thanks again
Danny