Some questions about some of the Trainer aircraft available

Greg Lloyd

Hi Kelvin

The BMFA have cleared 2.4 so you can use it anywhere. They recommend that you have a black pennant on the tx in the way in which 35mHz Tx's have an orange pennant.

Thery also recommend (very sensibly in my opinion) that clubs operate a 2.4 frequency board alongside their 35mHz control board/system. The reason here is that many 2.4 flyers still fly 35mHz and they may put down a 2.4 transmitter and switch on the 35mHz Tx without getting a peg - their mind will still be in 2.4 mode!

David.

Advert

Hi Greg,
have alook at the Chriss Foss Uno WOT.It can be built as a 3 or 4 channel trainer.It will proberly take a couple of weeks to build if you are new to this hobby.Powered with a os 40 engine this is capable of performing loops,rolls inverted flight,outsideloops and spins.It has good handling and stabillity and good slow speed handling.Hope this is of some help

Hi Greg,

The UNO WOT has foam wings, so you can build it with as much or as little dihedral as you want (With appropriate application of sanding block). It's a little smaller than the 40 sized trainers, and of course more expensive. The build is definitely more involved, but you will at least know how to fix it if (when?) you break it.

Ah, o.k. I knew it had foam wings but didn't realise that you actually shape the wing dihedral yourself.

I'm still thinking going for an ARTF such as the Boomerang or Tutor, and then having something such as the WOT for my second plane.

For info, my aim is to eventually end up flying 3D aerobatic models - so I'm looking a progression path that will take me there!

Hi guys im new to R/C flight, but thought i'd add my two pennies worth if thats okay......I have or rather had an Arising Star with SC 46 engine and a futaba 6EX. First flight was fantastic, very easy to fly the build was straight forward and getting the C of G was simply a case of putting the wings in place and lifting it as per instructions (excellent for us novices). However as Shaun Chant rightly stated in his first reply It went nose first at full throttle into the ground :( the Engine is fine only had to replace one servo and crystals. Will post some pics when i get time the accident was not my fault however i did take it with good grace!!!! and have now ordered a new tiger trainer :)

Cheers David.

Right, I'm away out to buy my Tutor 40 aircraft. I've decided to go with it.

Just buying the plane today. I'll be getting the engine and radio gear, etc online at a later date.

Think I'll be plucking for the OS46LA engine unless anyone thinks otherwise?

Also, the new Futaba 2.4Ghz radio set.

Good to see you've gone with the tutor. Refering to your earlier comment, I put together a boomerang for a friend and the wings were not a very good fit and didn't stay in place. Had to disconnect the epoxy and re-glue it! Don't know whether it'll ever fly, he doesn't seem to be bothered to finish it so I can't comment on the flying!

Just bought my Tutor 40 airframe today. It looks great except for one thing. It looks like a small hole has been accidently punctured on the side of the fuselage at the rear - near the tailplane.
I think the model shop probably only has one of these in stock. I'll call them tomorrow. Question is, if none are in stock, should I wait for them to order new stock in? Or can / should this small hole simply be patched? The hole is approx 1 inch long and 1/2 inch wide. The film and balsa panel have been punched through.

What do you guys think I should do?

I'd take it back, it might not stay perfect, but you should start that way. Plenty of oppertunities to damage it yourself. For minor skin/covering repairs look at the advice in the new thread "Plane Repair Help PLEASE !!!

It has good advice , (from the usual suspects).

All the best,

Dave

Well, I took it back today and now have a 100% perfecto Tutor 40 airframe. I wonder how long it'll stay like that? ;-)

Anyway. Seems a quality piece of kit. Looking forward to building it up and getting my wings.
Heading up to my local club soon for some introductions and hopefully a bit of training.

• 1 month later...
I'll be ineterested to see how you get on.  I've made a Tutor 40 and flown it a couple of times with the help of an experienced flyer - but no buddy box - I just took over when it was in the air for the first time!  I had only spent a few sessions with an electric Super Cub but they paid off.  I feel that the 40 could be a bit slower for a trainer but I can handle it.  I'm using 2.4 - my friend is really envious.  The only problem I've had is that after only 4 or 5 landings the undercart is already doing the splits and they weren't heavy arrivals.  Has anyone strengthened the legs?

Hi Peter,

It's the naff piano wire that most ARTF manufacturers use on their aircraft. My Tutor 40 did exactly the same thing - right up to the point that the noseleg bent through 90 degrees during a takeoff run.

I converted mine to a taildragger - reinforce the floor in the area in front of the servo bay with a decent sheet of ply, and fit a "proper" undercarriage from a model shop. If you can get one made from two pieces of piano wire bent and soldered togather, all the better.

Make sure the wheels are pretty much in line with the leading edge of the wing. Fit a tailskid (a semicircle of the same ply you used for reinforcing the floor would be good). Check the C of G os still in the right place and you're ready to fly again.

Ground handling is a bit more tricky, but other than that you won't notice any difference.

That's an interesting thought, personally, having (years ago!) learned to fly a Tiger Moth, I prefer tail draggers.  That was some achievement of yours to do that to the nose wheel, I assume it was on grass!  So far mine is OK but if it does what yours did I shall follow your lead.  What engine and prop did you use?  I've got an Evolution 46 and a 10 X 7 prop and the throttle seems very low in cruise mode.