Some questions about some of the Trainer aircraft available

Greg Lloyd

Hi All,
I have a few questions about some of the trainer aircraft that are available. I've looked around on the net but cannot find answers to all my questions.

I've had my eye on the following IC trainers: Tutor 40, Arising Star, Boomerang 40.
I like the look of all these aircraft but I am slightly swayed away from the Arising Star due to the flat airfoil limiting what aerobatcis I may be able to do once I become familar with the aircraft.
Also, I've read one or two negative reviews regarding the handling of this aircraft (although I've also read some good reviews).

1) Which of the above would you pick?

2) How much assembly is there with the Tutor 40 kit. From the descriptions on the model shop websites it seems to be more finished off that the others. One model shop says "simply bump in the radio gear and engine and that's it". I personally don't want a plane that has little to no building required. I prefer to spend some time building up my baby. The Boomerang and Arising Star have just the right amount of building required. Anyone able to share their Tutor 40 building experiences? (Or maybe you know a link to an online manual - I couldn't find one)

3). IC powered models appear to be messy, etc - but I'm thinking that electric models don't have the same oomph about them? Is this a correct assumption or not? Is their a good electric powered trainer out their that will act like a 25-40 size?

4) I haven't bought anything at all yet, so I'm wondering which would work out the best option to start with: Nitro or Electric?

Advert

To be honest, they're all pretty much the same. A trainer is exactly that; docile, easy(ish) to fly, gentle stalls, stable and yet capable of pretty much all the basic aero manoeuvres you'll need whilst flying a trainer. As for building, don't get too hung up on it. You'll either crash it and get the chance to repair it (you will!) or if not, get a more complex second model and build it whilst you learn to fly the trainer. Its air time that counts at this stage. I/c models don't have to be all that messy and I feel they are the best way to start out. Electrics are improving all the time, but to get good endurance and performance you need to spend some serious money. True there are some cheap bargains out there, but it's probably more true with electrics than anything else, you get what you pay for.

Go on, buy a 25-46 sized nitro trainer, ARTF and get it airborne!

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking electric wise. It's takes quite a lot of cash to get a decent aircraft with comparable power to nitro.

Any estimates on how many hours to build up the Tutor 40?

I like that idea of a more complex second model whilst I train on the first plane Shaun.

What models are typically a second plane?

I had the Futaba 6EXAPL-PCM in mind.. Something I can configure for more than one model.

I really leaning towards a .46 engine and either the Seagull Boomerang or Irvine Tutor 40 at the moment.

What about engines, any brand particularly more reliable than the other. I've looked at SC and OS engines so far.

Stay with the 2 strokers for the moment.You shouldn't have any problem with any of the small 2 strokers,so maybe go for the cheapest. Once you start flying,that's it,hooked.I would suggest at the moment spend as little money as possible on servos,rx,battery,engine etc. and put what you save towards a tx.If you feel that the hobby is something that you are going to stick with(which I'm sure you will)check out the Futaba 9C super.A superb piece of kit. You will never need to buy another tx..ever. One thing is don't let the cut backs interfere with safety.

Engines wise, OS are the market leaders in 2 strokers, but at a price. ASP, SC and Magnum roll off the same production line and are good reliable, affordable engines. SC engines seem to be on special offer everywhere at the moment and are cheap as chips. Others like J'En, MDS, RMX are all ok on a budget, but you really do get what you pay for.

Tx wise, you can't go wrong with Futaba. Go for the best you can afford, with the most channels, mixes and features. That way it'll serve you well into the future.

Greg, I am learning with an Irvine Tutor40,with an Irvine .46. It is excellent, not that I know ant different, but my instructor loves it! It is really stable, flys well in quite windy conditions and the engine has plenty of power. My 12 year old had his first flight last week, got it into some really hairy situations, (fast tight turns, full power dives etc) and there were no problems, except stretched rubber bands on the wing mounts that is. I have had one heavy landind,(ran out of fuel, doh!, and only suffered a bent U/C leg and a small puncture to the wing covering. All in all its a good strong well behaved trainer.

It takes a couple of evenings to assemble the tutor 40, and your out flying. Basically Glue the wings together, glue the tailplane and fin in place, fit the fuel tank and engine. Attach the undercarridge, Fit control horns and set up the push rods, fit the radio gear and it is complete. I have also put a Ripmax trainer 40 together, (as a back up) and the build/assembly was exactly the same. I suspect that it will fly the same as well. Go foe it, it took me ages to get into the hobby, and each time I fly, I wish I had done it sooner. Be patient though as it harder than it looks,with luck I think a trainer should do all you want and take you beyond the basic skills that must be learned.

I learned on a Tutor and was very glad I did. Excellent plane; stable, slow (although quicker when you want it to be!) and mildly aerobatic. It gives you loads of time to respond if you get in a sticky situation.
Having said that, go for what you like, the arising star and boomerang are on special offer at Steve Webb for £42.50, just got an arising star for dad who is still training.
The most important thing is to get an instructor who knows what he's doing.
Jonathan

Thanks for all the advice guys. Sounds like they all have around the same amount of building work involved so good enough.

Dave, what did you do when you got the wing puncture? How do you fix something like that?

I like both the Tutor 40 and the Boomerang. That's what it has come down to. I prefer the look of the boomerang over the tutor, but I'm wondering if the quality of the kit is a good as the Tutor. Does anybody know?

I'm itching to place an order for the plane now!

Hi Greg,

My First plane was a Tutor 40. The build was pretty much painless, and you could probably get it ready in a week of evenings. Don't rush it though - you'll hopefully be doing this hobby for years, so what's a couple of days either way? You'll lose a lot more time through crummy weather at the moment. If you can get a more experienced modeller to give you a hand - there are always a few pitfalls that the instructions don't cover.

I used an OS46LA on it, and it had plenty of power for training. I wouldn't go for anything smaller on the tutor 40, though. If you've got a bit more cash the 46AX is higher powered, and will probably be slightly more useful later on. I'm not sure if the AX is a bit less forgiving of the beginner, however.

Both have a rear needle, which if nothing else keeps your knuckles just that little bit further from the prop.

As for radio gear I used a Futaba 6EXA, but if you want to learn on a buddy lead find out what brand your instructor uses so they'll be compatible.

Just put together a Boomerang 40 looks good and robust not flown yet waiting for a Rx from the states,I have the futaba 2.4 and spare Rx's are like rocking horse pooh in the UK also more expensive.
Flying a Ripmax EP Spitfire after a break(30+years) from RC flying, got the Boomer to pass the A(aaaargh)test.
Learnt to fly in the 1970's with a Ripmax Dazzler 48 anyone remember them?
Any trainer you have in mind will do the job.
See the Pictures of my Boomer and Spity in the gallery section.
Have fun with whatever you build and fly.

Kelvin

Greg, wing punctures are fairly common with many ARTF planes. Its no drama, you just cover it with a self adhesive patch of solatrim (r/c covering), give it a quick blast of a heat gun to tighten it up a bit (if you have one) and you're airborne again. Your trainer is very unlikely to stay pristine very long, so don't get too worried by patches, dings and hanger rash.

Throw something together in an evening. it's so worth it because of the buzz of seeing something you've assembled get into the sky, and whilst you're learning, build something else. Time in the sky NOT time in the workshop, that's what you need at the moment.

And to be honest, if you've just thrown it together in an evening or two, you won't be too heartbroken when you bump it! (you will, you will, you will....) Unlike your pride and joy, which you've laboured over, and you don't want to spoil it, so it never flies.

Greg go for it, I have just started with a arising star and a 46 engine,I found that at my club, a lot of the old hands,still use there arising stars as fun and to practice some of there moves, before they do it with there more expensive model.They still make me go wow with the trainers, wish I could do that.So even with a trainer ot amazing what can be done with any of the kits you are considering, oh and by the way I use a Futaba FF7.

Hi Greg

Only joined my local club 3 weeks ago not flown with them yet due to the rain.I asked about the 2.4 and was told it is OK you have to have a black flag/rag/wifes black stocking attached to the Tx for the BMFA insurance but as far as I know it is now allowed.
I have been flying from a farmers field up until now.

Kelvin