Plane Repair Help PLEASE !!!

Rob Barrett

Hi all,
I'm a complete novice and have, tonight, ended up with a series of smallish tears in the solarfilm covering on my (seagull arising star) trainer plane. Can anyone recommend an easily available, tough, clear tape, which I can use to 'patch' up my trusty plane ?
Sh'e designed to fly and teach and not to look pretty !!!
Many thanks and regards,
Rob

Advert

Shaun,
Thanks for your comments but this isn't so simple as the cvurrent solarfilm is multi-coloured and lots of writing etc... Its clear tape I'm looking for so I can carry out quick and efffective repairs. This was always only meant to be a trainer plane so I'm not too bothered how it looks - I just want to be able to fly it !

Andy,
Any advise where I can buy such tape would be much appreciated ?
Cheers,
Rob.

Hi Rob

WH Smiths sell it so do stores like Hobby craft and probably Woolworths.

It comes in a green / black / yellow (Tartan?) coulored box with a dispenser for about £3.

You'll have no trouble in finding any.

Don't be tempted to but another make, magictape is the best.

Andy

I found some 2" wide, clear tape, I think it was called "All Weather Tape" but at least that was on the packet, in my local Focus. I am sure that other places stock it too. It looks a bit misty but would be nearly invisible on a model.

I used it to repair a cracked window in a conservatory, on both sides, it is still there after a full year.

Magic Tape will be in Smiths or any stationers. IT is good too.

Mike,that Diamond tape is the dogs alright.I fold a little back on itself first,peel of a longer piece than I need,fold a little back on itself again,tear it of the cutter thing and hold both sides by the tabs.When I do the repair,lift it back by the tabs a bit,then cut it close to the repair on both ends...no prints.Man, this sounds more complicated than it is.....sorry.

Aslan, I had to read your post twice, but second time I realised what a good idea it really is. LOL
Rob. I have the seagull jumper 25 trainer (the smaller version of your arising star) I ripped the covering on its first outing in the car, it got punctured by the glow plug. I did a temporary repair with selotape. I have now done over 100 flights and I havent bothered to change the tape yet as it doesnt need it. Like your plane it doesnt need to look good, just fly. Cheap too. :) Al

The 'all-weather' tape is a bit heavier than sellotape and its derivatives but much stronger. On larger repaires I have used sollotape to rejoin the ripped edges of the solarfilm then heated the repair to re-tension the covering and then covered the whole repair (between wing ribs) with cut to size clear 'fablon' available from Woolworths (it's about 300mm wide). This makes the flying surface as smooth/flat as the original finnish.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advise. I've now repaired the plane using the "Focus purchased" "Duck All Weather Repair Tape". This is described as "Transparent, Strong and Waterproof" and I got a 50mm (2 inch) x 10 m reel for just £2.99. This is certainly very strong and my only critisism is the colouration - this seems to have a slight light green tint when I've stuck it over the (mainly) while solarfilm. At least my good old trusty (Seagull Arising Star) trainer is back in the sky and this is the only consideration. What sort of trainer wouldn't look more realistic with some patches and repairs on it, I ask you !!! Thanks again to you all. Just one final request - can anyone sort me some good weather so I can get in some more training / practise for my BMFA A Test ? Rob

• 5 years later...

Hi Russ... It might be worth starting a thread for the project - "Refurbishing a ...... " show us a few photos etc and get some input.

Anyway, as for your question.... A few thoughts....

1] Decide if its economic. Covering can be an expensive process and makes ARTF's look very good value. If its a cheap ARTF it simply may not be worth it. Covering an ARTF trainer like the one mentioned at the beginning of the thread probably isn't worth it, as they are so cheap to buy new. [£60 or so...] On the other hand, if its a classic 70's pattern ship in good nick it might well be worth spending some time and cash on.]

2] What kind of covering does it have? Cheap ARTF's are covered in sticky backed plastic, which comes off easily but is also easy to damage. Solarfilm will leave colour behind as the colour is actually the glue. A little heat will help. Other coverings will lift without leaving a coloured mess.

3] What kind of hinges does it have? Flocked cyano hinges can be cut through, and new hinge slots cut. Some plastic hinges have a metal pin that can be removed with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

4] Covering... a tip. The Giant Shark stuff is excellent value if you are happy to buy it in fairly large quantities, and plan to carry on building.

As I said, why not show us what you have to work on

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a similar situation. On inspecting my new second hand trainer more closely, I discovered a few tears in the wing. It too has graphics. Me being rather anal, I really wanted to keep it looking good, so I purchased a roll of sola film (yellow)| for a fiver borrowed some different shaped plastic glow in the dark stars from my daughters cieling and used them as a template. Wing is now sealed with added star graphics, doesnt look perfect to be honest, but I hope this will make me less wary as I learn to fly as I'm sure I'll have plenty more to fix as I get up in the air (and down)!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe my Tutor II is covered in Oracover and mine too has one or two holes in it, mostly caused by me, one of the guys gave me a patch on the field one day which looked like sticky back plastic (clear), I bought a 2m roll from the stationers for abut £2.49 and thats what I have been using. None of its come off yet and seems to resist burnt and unburnt fuel and it doesn't cover up the original covering. Just a note make sure the covering is clean and free from grease, I use electrical cleaner or it won't even stick.