AR500 Power up?

Hugh Coleman

Greetings, this is what I have done so far:

1. charged a new 5 cell (6V, 1100mAh) Nicad to capacity.
2. Fitted a bind plug to the AR500 and connected the battery to the "Gear" connector.
3. Turned on the Transmitter and successfully bound the RX.
3a. Used RX to centre Aileron Servo.
4. Installed a switch in the fuselage of the current build.
5. Connected switch to Batt/Bind connector on RX and turned on TX.
6. Flicked switch.

At this point, all I got was a brief "beep" and a flash of red light from the RX.  Then nothing.
I suspected the switch so I tried connecting the battery directly to the RX Batt/Bind connector.  Same thing.
Tried another Battery.  Same thing.
Tried another two AR500 RXs (already bound to TX).  Same thing.

Can anybody tell me what on earth has happened here?  There must be something simple and stupid that I am doing wrong. 

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 29/12/2009 21:12:41

Advert

Hugh, did you power everything off once the rx was bound and removed the bind plug before you started adjusting anything else?

I have three of these rx's and all of them have behaved themselves. There are a lot of threads in the Radio section already regarding the AR500, can I suggest you read through some of them?

a) Rx not properly and fully bound ( including Dougs suggestion)
b) Tx too close to rx
c) Insufficient time allowed after switching Tx on before switching on rx ( up to 10 secs preferable )
d) model not correctly stored /selected in tx

And also, as asked earlier, where did the beep come from

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 29/12/2009 22:00:57

On re-reading your original post, something puzzles me.
5. Connected switch to Batt/Bind connector on RX and turned on TX.
6. Flicked switch.

I must assume that you mean an inline switch between battery and rx, rather than switch directly across the batt/bind port
If as you suggest, you got ther polarity wrong, that may have fried your rx - but unless you then plugged the switch harness ( still incorrectly wired to the battery ) into the other 3 receivers and fried them all, it sounds unlikely.
What Tx is it ?

Hi Timbo,
DX5e.  (I have a DX7 as well, but that seems to have issues of its own at the moment (losing signal, which has let to two fatal crashes so far)).

No, I used the switch in line between the battery and the RX.

It puzzles me as I had previoulsy used that RX with that battery to centre the servo.

In the process of installing the switch, something drastic changed.

Another thing... Just to experiment a bit, I connected all servos to the RX to see what might happen...  Each time I powered the RX up, the Throttle servo (Only the throttle servo) twitched.

I just ran a multi meter across the battery terminals, as I suspected that somehow, my battery was drained and that was the issue... 6.8V showing.

I'm stumped.

Is 6.8V a bit high for this RX?

Well, it cops higher than that if powered through an ESC in a leccy model.  Apparently these will cope with between 3.5 and 9.6 volts.
Servos will cause things to struggle on 4.5 though (which makes you wonder why they include a 4 cell (4.8 Volt)Nicad in the box with the DX7i).

Back to the shed to try something else...

Cheers,

Hugh

(Edited after reference to user manual)

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 30/12/2009 07:14:16

Hugh,
Take the switch harness out of the circuit and re-bind the Rx by connecting the battery directly to any Rx channel. Are you binding correctly? Insert bind plug first, connect batt, switch on Tx, wait until solid light, remove bind plug, disconnect batt, switch off Tx. Switch on Tx (not too close to Rx), connect batt to Rx, wait for solid light.
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious - it's just that we need to know your process exactly.

Pete

"That's a Bingo!" to quote from a recently released Tarantino film.

I rebound the RX (as per your instructions as it happens)... It turns out that I was not removing the bind plug at the correct time.

Everything now works as it should...

I feel a bit silly now, but you live an learn.

Thanks all!

Cheers,

Hugh

PS, now I just have to find out a way of fitting Aileron servos so that they don't foul the rest of the servos when the wing is fitted to the fuselage.

Whilst I have that hat on lets discuss the voltage issue a bit more.
You said ....in reply to
Is 6.8V a bit high for this RX?
" Well, it cops higher than that if powered through an ESC in a leccy model.  Apparently these will cope with between 3.5 and 9.6 volts.
Servos will cause things to struggle on 4.5 though (which makes you wonder why they include a 4 cell (4.8 Volt)Nicad in the box with the DX7i).

Firstly - no it doesnt.  Powering your receiver via a speed controller means that the rx is fed a constant 5V irrespective of the main battery voltage - thats the job of the BEC unit built into the speed controller. It regulates the main supply voltage down to 5V and keeps it there.
Secondly - Spektrum receivers will operate on any voltage between 3.5V and 9.6V however a minimum of 4.5V is recommended.
Not sure what you mean about servos will cause things to struggle on 4.5V ?#
Many servos are happy on a maximum of 6V and are normally spec'd at 4.8V, however many will also operate down as low as 3V. I have a couple of models which use a single lipo cell ( nominal 3.7V ) and run 2 x hitec mini servos perfectly well, via a spektrum AR6100 receiver.
As for spektrum supplying a 4 cell battery , there is nothing inherently wrong about using a 4cell pack with spektrum gear...indeed, again I have at least two models which use this configuration quite happily. Peoples worries about brown outs are somewhat paranoid ata  times - brown out on 4 cell battery should not occur if proper guidelines are followed. Use a good quality battery, capable of supplying the currents required without sagging,  properly and fully charged and maintained, in a model with properly installed servos  - operating correctly fitted free moving control surfaces. Ensure the Rx is fitted with the latest QC firmware and all should be well.
Sure 6V supply is probably better in many cases, but not always necessary.

Yes, I know, that's why I felt so silly.
But I had tried a rebind so many times already, that I was convinced that this was not the problem.
In the mean time, I was doing some reading on another forum that highlighted bind plug removal and when it should happen specifically.  So I thought I would try it again.  What did I have to lose.
In my experience, losing bind resulted in a flashing light in the RX, at least, that's what my dodgy memory was telling me.  What I was getting, was not in my field of experience, so I was convinced that I had something different and new going on.
I knew deep down that it must be a simple solution.

As I say, you live and learn.  And thanks all for your patience while I learn.

I will use that 4-cell battery then at some stage.

How can you determine that the Latest CQ firmware is installed?  And is it us not, how do you go about getting it done?

Cheers,

Hugh.

Hugh,
further up you wrote you have trouble with your TX DX7 - loosing signal. Ever thought to send it to HH? had the same problem - lost 3 models and sent the TX = receiver to HH - came back repaired with the comment output power was too low...  Its fine now. I check sometimes with the flightlog - everything fine, almost no disturbance during flight. May be worth a try to send it for a checkup. VA 

• 2 weeks later...