Setting up a Hangar 9 Pulse 40 for Electric

Simon B

I've been doing some calculations and i see no reason i couldn't run this plane on a 500w motor/ESC combo like this:

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&action=additem&item=338

Surely i could then run this plane on a 3s battery pack (although a fairly high capacity one)?

It would just about be ok on this setup if you only want 100W/lb. 100W/lb is a guideline for just about being able to fly - it will have little or nothing in reserve. As the suggested weight for the model is 2.5-2.8kg and the max suggested weight of model for this powertrain is 2400g (i think this is towards the electric glider end anyway) it would be unwise to use these components as they could be seriously underpowered.

So your choice is:
-spend lots of money on a more expensive 700-800W 4s setup on the pulse 
or
-use a very similar 400-450W powertrain and put it in either a 25e pulse or something much more capable like the sebart angel 30e on 2500mah 3s

seems a bit of a no brainer to me

Edited By Jonathan Lewzey on 01/01/2010 17:19:34

Simon, you have to remember Power = Volts x Amps, so 660 w on a 3s battery, say 10v under load and you are looking at 60 amps. Flying time = battery capacity/amps drawn so you will need a fairly large capacity battery (e.g. 5,000 mah) to get a decent flight time, also although batteries might be rated at 20 or 30c at very high currents the volts drop off considerably ( less power) and the battery gets hotter (shorter life span etc.)

A 4s option might be a better solution, I'm using 3200 mah 4s in a plane with a 500w motor and get over 10 mins flight time and the batteries hardly get warm. 660 w on a 4s is 660/14 = 47amps which is around 15c on a 3200 mah battery.

Giantcod and Hobbyking do some good prices on 3200 mah 4s batteries and also 600w motors suitable for 4s, I'm currently using these.

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/loong-tipple-3000-4s1p-lipo-battery-p-404428.html

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2099&pb=1

Or an alternative battery 

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9464

thats the ESC! The motor is max 45A continuous 35A, which tells me you'll be lucky to get 500W out of it (45A x 11.1v = 499.5W)

ok, you want a pulse XT40  i conceed defeat

Check out this motor, weight range of model - 2kg-2.8kg. perfect. Input voltage - 14.8v (4s). perfect. power - 800-900W giving 128-163 W/lb depending on AUW. perfect, with the potential for good performance. Max current is 61A so a 80A ESC is probably a safe bet. Try not to save too much on this as the ESC is a critical link in the system. The lipo is the most costly item here so i suggest you shop around for a 4s 4000ish mAh 20C min pack from hobbyking or (if you must) giantcod (don't touch them myself). The prop is listed on the motor data sheet.

Hi Simon
Back again. My set up with motor ESC ,lipo and mdel cost a total of £274 all up price for everything needed to put it in the air. Of course we are not taking into account servos and RX as I already had those
Sorry cant be bothered to ignore any one Its not worth the hassle and a little childish
As I said before prams and toys
Garry

Edited By Garry Pollard on 01/01/2010 20:49:04

Edited By Garry Pollard on 01/01/2010 20:50:20

Hi Pete I flew the Pulse yesterday for thr first time and its brilliant.Very acrobatic in my instructors hsnds and very docile and stable in mine.It was very friendly and I felt relaxed flying it .No ptoblems with orientation.Id fitted a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro which was to powerfull so last night fitted an OS46 LA. The build was a joy no problems and very quick,the quality is good and a very much admired model at the field It will look better in electric because I had to cut most of the top part of the cowl to fit round the IC engine.I dont mind this because I like to be able to get to the engine easily.For my level of competence  abot 20 months flying and being 65 years,the model ticks all the boxes and Im 100% confident with it.After 3 flights I had no problems landing

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 02/01/2010 09:53:33

Well i picked it up yesterday and apparently it's the model that was used for the RCM&E review (I bought it from a chap in Maidstone who seems to know a few of the folks from the mag here).  I've taken the i.c engine off and removed all the foam and cleaned the oil off (i'm now convinced that i.c seems like too much mess for me - this model was pretty clean and i still didn't like the oil residue) and tidied up some loose bits of covering.  The motor and ESC should be arriving tomorrow, so it's just a case of installing these bits and i should be ready to fly, as it came with a full quota of servos (nice Futaba ones ).