Any words of wisdom for an enthusiastic but untalented chopper pilot

TonyS

I've been playing with a Blade CX3 for a while now and can just about get it where I want it under control.
It doesn't fly well in anything but virtual calm though so I'd like to move on to something slightly bigger.
I got a Blade 400 3D for Christmas and I am having a 'mare with it.
The count so far is one feathering shaft and a set of main blades.
I've tried flying it on Phoenix flight sim and either way it seems to me that it's impossible to stop the flight from deteriorating rapidly from 'dodgy hover' to wild out of control crash in seconds.

Is it just me? Is there something I'm missing about using the controls? I try to be very sensitive on the sticks, I try quick corrections then back to centre, I've tried extreme but rapid adjustments - basically everything but they all end up with the thing in bits.....
What am I missing? 

Advert

Sounds like my first attempts with my Twister CP Gold.

In the end I altered the throttle and pitch settings to make it more sensitive to the controls and it worked much better, well for me anyway.

I suspect that I, like yourself could do with an expert setting the Heli up for me properly.

As for words of wisdom, don't give up.

Tony,

What radio are you flying this on ??. I've set up a few of these and they are way to sensitive straight out the box.

Some things you can try, first, if you have a computerised transmitter, find the swash mixing settings (might be something like 60,60,60 but could include -ve numbers so be careful) and reduce the mixing for the elevator and aileron by 10 increments. Also, I'd stick at least 25% expo on the elevator and aileron, will make the Blade much more enjoyable to fly.

Don't be tempted to reduce the head speed, this is a mistake that a few mates have made. Will sound less intimidating, but actually makes the heli more unstable. These little things are built to scream.

Do you have a pitch gauge ??, what pitch curves are you running ??.

Cheers,

Simon

Great advise from Simon,

All i could add is find a local heli man and ask for his help, a well set  up heli will save you hundreds in repair bills, and be very rewarding to fly, I do this as im gash at setting the damm things up so Dave S (recently joind the forum) helps me with my set up

BB

Yes Tony - I would suggest more practice on the Sim. Take also Simons comments on board.  How are you trying to fly the heli?  Are you using just thumbs only on the sticks. Helis are more easier to fly if you use fingers and thumbs. I was taught this way and takes a little bit of time to get use to it - but it tends to give more precise control  However my prefered way of flying helis (mode 2) is finger and thumb Right stick (aileron/elevator) and thumb only left stick (throttle/rudder). Ive got so use to it - I even fly my fixed wing that way.

Al

hello tony S-my words of wisdom would be dont attempt to fly your foodmixer until it is 100% set up by an existing heli flyer......i can do circuit's with contra's...but going from them to a fixed pitch or collective pitch is totally different...they are so more responsive and if(like me) you're a novice-they catch you out good and proper...the result=big dosh and one happy model shop owner...when you are returning on a regular basis for bit's to salvage your wreckage.........

ken anderson.......fixed wing = 100%......foodmixer's = 5%.......

Tony,
In Phoenix, use a model with training gear and pick the gym as the flying location.
Aim to keep the model on the floor within a 3 foot square which are marked on the floor in the gym. Get used to the controls by skating the model around the floor.
Progress to hovering off the floor but still in the square you have been using.

Once you can do this easily on the sim, take the same idea outside. Hover at least 3 - 4 foot of the deck to get out of the 'ground effect' problem.

Simulator practise was the key for me, if you cant do it on the sim, there’s not much chance of doing it for real...

Plus, as others have said, get the heli set up properly and try some expo on the controls to soften the response

i would suggest the same as what has already been suggested . adding expo ( be careful to add expo correctly for your radio u can make it more senstive it u add it incorrectly ) once you added expo it will calm down the center stick movement . i dont know if i would suggest lowering the swash mix to much if any as you may need that extra movement if u get it banked over too much u may need the extra movement to get out of trouble. also the stick length is it comfortable for you . adjust them for the best feel . you could also add some extra weight to the fly bar to make the heli more stable . but ultimatly its all to do with practice. more stick time be it on the sim or real life. i suggest to people trying to learn to hover to go on the sim and set the heli out of trim . this way the heli will want to drift away from you . now this makes you have to fly it 100% to get it to stay where u want . most new flyers dont give enough control they move the stick then back to middle and then wait to correct. you need to be flying the heli 100 % of the time to be incontrol .

any advice you need or any heli with anything contact me on here by pm ben hall

i know its posted under jim carrs but am just on his machine . 

alternitavly you can find me on the heliguy forums . username benjomeen
 that is a great place to find information all heli related 

cheers ben

Hi Tony,

I'm just transitioning from a blade MSR to a Honey Bee FP. I was told to follow this:

I didn't follow it exactly as I already had a feel for some of it, and I was feeling the limitations of the MSR to start with, but the idea is very sound indeed. A lot of other people have apparently used this as a good way to get started.

Exponential (applied correctly) and simulator time will help. Have you got anyone in your club who's a heli wiz to check that the heli is all set up perfectly? It will make everything so much easier.

I have got the blade 400 which was a mare to fly. However a guy called boggy on a differnet forum ( remeber the name but not the forum) gave a set of set up specs for the spectrum tx. this sorted out my problem.
The other thing is where are you practicing? You could find that the down wash is affecting your control due the the ground effect. hard as it sound s it is easier to fly a little higher up eg 3-4ft. But only if set up correctly. Get a guru to have a look if possible.

Gaz

• 1 month later...
I feel for you TonyS i remember racking up the credit cards with spares for my trusty old mfa sport500 and morley mxb,no internet back then just a dvd(VHS tape) made by jim davey of model helicopter world magazine,it is really frustrating to start with not sure if this will help but if you attach the training undercarriage and just slide around lifting maybe mm's off the ground just so it's light on the skids maybe putting in tiny hops every now and again,before you know it those hops get longer....more stable flying a heli has been compared to balancing two poles one on each hand a balancing act,,dont try to hover staight away take it easy get comfortable with sliding around tiny hops and honestly i swear those hops will become a hover it's just patience,their is however a product on the market today called the Alien command stabilisation system,it's an autopilot for rc helis begginers can be doing circuits in a matter of hours it wont let the heli get out of control and uses sensors to keep it level, if you get into trouble let go of the sticks and viola,straight and level flight resumed,i used one for aerial photography on a trex450 and a flycamone 2,you could actually let go of both sticks and it would sit their even in a breeze,as you gain more experience just start turning down the gain,i sincerely wish you all the best with your Blade400 stick with it and you will be rewarded.