Tiger Moth instruments

Solly

Advert

Ernie, thanks for the reply. I have made instuments in the past, using multicore solder for the bezels etc. It's just that I don't seem to have much time these days, and thought that if  a ready made set-up is available it would be better for me. If all else fails I might get back to you. Cheers.

Peter, many thanks for your offer. However I am finishing the model as G-AMHF, dark blue and silver, and have a wealth of photographic detail on the full size, including cockpit detail. When I've finished it I'll stick a photo  in my album, hopefully in about 2 months time! 

Solly,
This is mine and its been around over Ten years,its a great model both to build and fly,I have just upgraded power from OS 120 fs to SC 180 fs. Just waiting for weather to improve for test flight.

Good luck with cockpit detail and look forward to pics of completed model.

Jim

Hi Solly, I used David Leftley Graphics - I had taken photos of a real tiger G-AHIZ based at the time with the Cambridge flying group. The front and rear cockpits are different - the front has a yellow bodied oil pressure gauge, the rear is black. When I sent the photos to David he contacted me to ask if I'd sent two different aircraft. He produced these at the right scale, and still sells them specifically for the Flair Tiger although there is no reason why they wouldn't fit other 1/4 scale models. The instruments are produced with a 3D domed effect - not totally scale, but very effective from standing distance, and no effort at all! The compass faces were stuck onto the bottom section of a 35mm film cannister with a strip of plasticard wrapped round for effect - the whole thing was then stuck onto a lithoplate shelf made for the job. It is amazing how easy it is to cobble a few bits together to create an illusion - this was my first scale model and I found it great fun to play with the scale details. Mine has a Laser 150 in it too - scale power but perhaps not too much in reserve for non-scale flight, however, this was one of the biggest singles available at the time. Good luck with yours!

Many years ago I sent this image to David after he supplied the self adhesive instrument dials and I installed them. This picture can be found in gallery 1 on his web site - link above.

This is the front instrument panel as supplied. The faces are self adhesive and include all the text panels on the instrument panel (but I didn't get photos of the handwritten ones inside the cockpit coming) Again, this and other images can be found on the web site above.

Apart from using David's services, I have no connection with him or his company - as can be seen from the other threads there are other providers out there too!

Edited By Nick Prescott on 28/01/2010 22:51:52

• 2 weeks later...