ST Models MX2

Delta Whiskey

Advert

• 3 weeks later...
I have just put together an S.T. Mx2 and have hit a snag which I hope someone can help with.The instructions came with an update sheet mainly of set up information, and on this it stated aileron throws of 35mm either way for sport or 45mm either way for 3D. well I can't get more than 22mm, that is the limit of servo throw and cannot be increased even using ATV or end point adjustment. So what throws are you flying with, before I cut the wing open to see what is happening. By the way the tail end has no problems.

Alan

Hi Alan

I have had two of these and just went to dig out the product manual(s) mine says 35mm sports and 40mm up and 35mm down for 3D

Cant remember what mine are, if you don't receive an answer from anybody else i will dig it out and measure.

Having said that I don't know your flying ability is but I remember starting with reduced rates anyway on my second model.....foam-e it might be but I lost the first one by keeping the rates high with no Expo big mistake

Before you start chopping it about try it on the max you have, even with my low rates it's very responsive

JC

Thanks to all who replied. I flew the model today in dead calm conditions and I must say I was dissapointed in the performance with all the throws at the maximum I could get, my foam-E Wot-4 is far more agile. Also the power output of the motor seemed to come in steps rather than smoothly so I will fit another ESC to try to improve this. Thanks to JC, I have e-mailed SP so I will wait to see what they say.

Alan

Hi Guys.

Im new to this forum so.... Pleased to meet you all!

Im *born again flyer*. Flew for about 15 years.. gat a B cert etc.. then stopped to go build a house ( saw it on TV and it looked like a challenge LOL) .. ANYWAYS>>>>

I have come back to flying and it has changed a LOT! All this electric stuff now LOL I stopped in about 2000 and Electric was just about starting off.

I had just sold all my gear becasues I couldnt find a site / club to fly my Ultimate with 120 4 Strok pumper and my Panic etc... then the guy who boughtmy LAST MODEL told me of a new local club..so I am back.. but ELECTRIC ( for now )

I bought a very battered MX2. Flew OK but was VERY tired.. ( more Cyano than foam in places LOL). The original motor was still fitted although it had an updated ESC. The motor shaft was slightly bent so I assume this was sucking power away from the prop ..PLUS it shook it about a bit!

In trying to straighen the shaft out I guess I weakened it and after many flights I had a hard landing and *DINK* the shaft broke!!!!! : (

I want a new motor and one with a BIT more punch.? I am flying 3s 2200 cells.. LOoooooooooOOOONg max ( odd name isint it??)

CAn ANYONE point me in the right direction with regard to a suitable BUDGET motor ??

I DID go buy a motor from Giant Cod it was a XYH35-30 1400kv 15A Brushless Outrunner. it wont work tith my ESC.. ( I guess its the number of windings or something? as the guys from GC say the ESC timing needs changing . they ALSO said a 12x6 prop was WAYY too big...

OK I get 1400Kv is 1400RPM per volt ( yep I have read up since I returned), but I am still none the wiser as to what motor I SHOULD buy to revive the old hack? ( hence I only want a BUDGET motor)

Can one / some of you *more knowledgable* guys help and advise please?
Also, would I need to buy an uprated ESC ?? If so.. MORE adivce on that too please?

MUCHOS GRACIAS in advance

Ian..

PS I am considering the PZ300 also ( £98.00 at Squadron Leader "" PNP... Temp out of stock though). But I have read some cr*p about the main wing being upside down? Any views ??

Cheers again guys..

Hi All, I've just read every comment re the MX2 and I am puzzled. I have one and fly it with four different 2200 Lipos (only one Lipo at once!!). The results are always the same; lacking power, sluggish, short battery life - six minutes at best.
The model is as supplied, with a 12X6 prop. although it says on the box that it is fitted with a 12X5 and it says in the manual that the recommended prop is 13X7 !!!!!!!!!!!
Apart from the fact that, on the recommended 'sports' settings, it is impossible to get anything like the control surface movements that are stated. Even at half of the throws and with -35% Expo, it is over controlled.
I agree witht the comments re the under carriage. It may be OK for tarmac but try it on a field of short grass!! As for prop hanging, you really would have to stand and hold it in the vertical.!
So, any suggestions from those of you who are doing all the marvellous things with a standard, un-modified aircraft? I would like to transform it into a competent sports flier. I'm not into the extreme stuff. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Peter,
What radio are you using, if it is Spektrum or JR you need positive + expo. to calm things down. I found the model to be very disappointing and slugish. On the tail I have moved the pushrods to the outermost arms on the sevo and the innermost on the control horns. On the ailerons the slot that the pushrod comes through the wing restricts the movement and needs to be opened up, also you need to fit the same length servo arm as supplied for the rudder and elevator to the aileron servos, I am in the process of doing this. I think the ESC is very poor and seemed to give a stepped rather than smooth output, so that is being replaced also. I had the same sort of problems with my Wot-4 E, you only get what you pay for so dont expect perfection at these prices.

Alan

Hi Alan,
Thank you for your constructive reply. I am using Futaba radio, so -ve Expo is good. You are certainly correct about the aileron pushrod exit slots. I just wish I could find a way of livening up the power train combination - ESC, motor, prop. I had expected the ones fitted to be somewhat livelier! I don't really want to have to spend more, changing ESC etc. to make the performance what I think it should have been in the first place. Will keep trying. I have to say that I am pleased to know that it is not just me having the problems.
Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter

I have had two of these, also two Wot 4 Foam-e's.

All I can say is they all differ dramatically out of the box! On the Wot 4 thread some people were getting less than 220 watts while others were getting close on 370 watts.

As has already been said if you pay £100 for a plane including Motor, ESC, Servos and Prop you really are getting what you pay for.........unfair I know.

There is great demand for both these models and to be honest I think the manufactures put in whatever they have to hand to to keep production rolling....and quality control ...

JC

Edited By JayCee on 03/02/2011 12:53:06

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Roby,

I got back into flying on this model after a LONG break of about 6-7 years.. I can tell you it has few vices ( apart from the VERY dodgy Undercarriage). It fliew well in all *reasonable* conditions.. rememebr it IS a *foamy* so isnt exaclty heavy. But it is of a good size and apart from the wheels bit, being a foamy, it is easy to repair. Mine is YEARS old I am at least the THIRD owner ...

High Wing may gove you better landing carachteristics.. but as shoulder wings go.. You cant do much better... if the weather is *marginal* just take the wheels off and belly land it.. For your money you wont go wrong.

Nb. Guys ... I have just uprated the motor in mine......with an E-Power BL2815 Brushless Outrunner Motor (920KV) from Giant Cod... I havent flown it yet but the power is AWSOME (OK so it sticks out THROUGH the front cowel a tad, but the power!!  .. Will post more on this as soon as the sun comes out!

Hi All,
I started trying to improve the performance of my MX2 by fitting a 40amp ESC. So far, so good - definite improvement. Now working on sorting out the undercarriage - seems it's the only way to get more than two flights a day, off a grass strip!!!!!!!! Once these two are sorted, will look at the possibility of changing the motor, in line with some of the suggestions in this thread.
It still concerns me that, in order to get the sort of performance claimed for any model, I have to spend more and modify it. I'm a Yorkshireman by birth and believe that I should be able to get a minimum performance claimed, from the standard package. Anything beyond that, then I accept it is reasonable to modify at a cost.
Does anyone agree, or am I expecting too much

I bought one last year it never made the first flight. i connected the battery and the esc burst into flames a quick disconnect. i have removed the ecs and had that replaced, but i had to remove the motor as well as they are soldered joints to the ecs, to do this i had to slice the nose off. it has been like this since, i really lost faith with it would i purchase another st model doubtfull. The ecs was not up to the job. spend a bit more and purchase the multiplex acromaster fit quality servos and motor and esc they are superb.
not for newbies but the model (sorry toy ) shop should advise these facts when purchasing.

Peter.. I have to agree TO A POINT.. for what you pay you DO get a lot.. BUT.. I would rather pay (say) another £20.00 and get one with a better ESC for example... I maintane tha tshis is a good model though. Shame they skimped on the ESc... Mine has an uprated ESC ( although I think it is possibly too small for the new motor) but will get changed SOON!

As for uprating the motor... The E-Power BL2815 Brushless Outrunner I got from Giant cod SEEMS to be the business and a good bit more powerful than the standard unit if a tad bigger. Oh AND, it only cost me about £15.00 ! Will almost DEFFO need a 40amp ESC though... Worth a look though..

Oh I ALSO had to cut the front cowel off mine.. TWICE!! but they DO glue back on!

Stick with it I say ..

Ian.

>>>THE BORN AGAIN OPTOMIST<<<