ST Models MX2

Delta Whiskey

MX2 Aerobatic Aircraft
Picked this up myself from Brentford Models today at £102 comes with servo's, brushless motor and esc.

Spec:
Lenght:               1106mm / 43.5"
Wingspan:         1210mm / 47.6"
Wing Area:         27.3dm/sq / 423.2" sq
Flying weight:    960g / 22/8 oz
Wing Load:        35.16g dmsq / 11.5oz  ft sq
Power:                Brushless Motor - 1800 mah lipo
Prop:                   13 x 4 "
Radio:                 4 ch - 4 x micro servos

First impression look good, nice touches like balsa inserts in the EPO foam where wing joins, solid looking u/c wheels. More to follow.......

Advert

Yep thanks Barnesboy, the UK is slightly different spec.
I put it all together in about 20 mins, took another couple of hours for those damn stickers, so many of them too !
Not sure how long they will last either, once they are off, I may do a custom spray job if the EPO foam can take it.
Couple of discrepency found as discribed on the box, it says it has a two piece wing  for ease of transport ! Nope it has a one peice wing !
Also is says it's now fitted with a 12 x 5 prop, for better torque control while prop hanging, it's a flimsy 12 x 6, luckily I brought a stiffer graupner one, though I will try the stock one first.

Mock Up Shots:

Assembly Starts - all fairly easy.....
First Step as per Instruction Fit U/C

2nd Step Prop & Spinner

3rd Tail Assembly - fit the tail into the horizontal stab, then align holes and push into fuz hole, until you hear a loud click, then push in the plastic plug / bolt to secure tail assembly to fuz. This only goes in one way so don't force it. (just above my thumb)
One problem I have noticed is that the servo horns when fitted to the rudder & elevator with the z bars are too low and therefore the back of the z wire will catch on the fuz, easy to fix by just cutting away some foam, not done yet as I will fit the radio tomorrow and wanted to make sure the servo's were at center before connecting them up.
4th Step is to slide in the wing, be careful not to damage the servo wires ! Wind is fixed by two wing bolts seen below. I found 4 rubber washers that had the same cut out as the end of the wing bolts (two for each bolt, top & bottom), this was not mentioned anywhere in the instructions, however it was easily worked out. One could not be fitted though, as you cannot get to the top of the bolt nearest the front ! So I just ommitted it !

Apart from fitting RX that's it ! Oh that's it apart from the stickers !
No instruction on these at all, just peeled of the tail one and went for it, bit like hanging wall paper and if your like me being too fussy, and getting every little bubble out, you will probablly do it in haf the time, took me over 2 hours !

Will fit Rx in the morning, and hopefully go fly the maiden !

Well the maiden flight saw the MX2 land ok so I guess you can call that a successful maiden !   I took off from tarmac and pulled it up to quickly balloning a bit until it got up to full speed, then it was a joy to fly!  No trimming at all needed, though it did seem a wee bit nose heavy when you ease back on the throttle. Landed really quick easily a slow on grass after about 5 -7 mins.
2nd flight with same battery (2200mah) far east jobbie, not been used for nearly a year! saw a better take off, letting it rise by itself at full power. Roll rate just right for me (Sports Flyer Setup as per manual) and nice loops and stall turns. 4 or 5 mins tried to land on the tarmac road (single track) and veered at finals back on to the grass a bit too heavy, and bent the UC only very slightly.
Took off at the field and with pliers bent back into shape a tad, and 2nd battery when for another flight! Pleased with it overall, but not too happy with the poor thought out (again I hear you say) U/C these ARTF's all seem to have ! 
Hopefully back out tomorrow !

Well on my second outing the u/c came totally loose. Once back home, you could see the plastic mounting that the u/c fixes too was loose. Read a couple of posts as Barnesboy above suggested, (thanks), and decided I would do the same with what I had laying around. Fitted a bit of 5mm ply to fit the u/c slot, expoxied in a let cure over night.

Next day, drilled two holes about an inch deep thru the ply, plastic mount and into the foam. Fitted in two wooden dowels, the type you find in an MFI kit for a peice of bedroom furniture! Expoxied them in, and left the tops proud of the ply, about 5mm.  Then went to drill to holes for these in the u/c set up on my pillar drill, when all of a sudden they grabbed and spun round the drill ! Hit the stop button, but not before they whacked my hand ! Ouch. U/c bent and totally messed up! Luckily, no damage to me either!

I found a two piece very light u/c arms laying around, and fitted them on using 2 inch wheels rather than the 1.5 inch stock ones. No spats. Looks ok to me, I think with the smaller stock wheels and the spats fitted there is only about 10mm of wheel protuding so when landing on grass the spat catches before the wheel does, thus forces the whole u/c back. It is a poor setup though, so modifying it to something like this could only help!

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 08/02/2010 13:47:49

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 08/02/2010 13:50:11

Next outing with the u/c as shown, I had 5 or 6 flights on 4 packs, and even taxiied back across the grass after one landing too! U/C stood firm and no signs of any weakness! Happy at last !

Flying wise, it's fairly easy and goes where you put it. Knife edges dropped the nose and you had to turn out before losing too much height, but I only have the rudder set for sport mode as per the book, will move to max travel for my next outing and see if knife edging holds. Stock motor is a tad under power but fine for every day sports flying, and high stall turns were ar joy !

• 2 weeks later...
Hi There

I just bought an ST Model MX2 but I am a total newbie  to rc planes and have a problem connecting the battery to the engine. The engine wires don't look the same as on the instruction booklet and I have no idea how to connect my battery.

Can one of you old hands give me clear instructions or even a photo if possible?

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi John,

less of the old hands please ! I've only been flying planes for a year, and heli's for 2 !
My Mx2 came with dean connectors, which are  two flat surfaces set in a T shape, and most 2200 mah Lipo batteries come with Deans connectors so it was not problem for me.

What batteries are you using and what connectors do they have? The other common type is the bullet type connector. Depending on your batteries connections, you may have to change either the battery connectors or the planes connectore depending on which way you choose to go ! It's a personal choice really.

Posted by John Goldsmith on 21/02/2010 20:54:02:
Hi There

I just bought an ST Model MX2 but I am a total newbie  to rc planes

if you've never flown rc before this is not a good starter plane. its desinged for aerobatics, not first time pilots. if you're not a member of a club, join one for advice on getting started and a safe place to fly. As DW says, the connectors do need to be the same type or they won't connect properly. it should be fairly obvious if they don't. btw, 'engine' is for IC models, with electric we use the term motor. I hope you're not trying to connect directly to that! the speed controller (ESC) connects to the battery at 1 end and the motor at the other.

btw, welcome to the forum

Posted by John Goldsmith on 21/02/2010 20:54:02:
Hi There

I just bought an ST Model MX2 but I am a total newbie  to rc planes and have a problem connecting the battery to the engine. The engine wires don't look the same as on the instruction booklet and I have no idea how to connect my battery.

Can one of you old hands give me clear instructions or even a photo if possible?

Any help will be appreciated.

as above - the MX2 is a no no for a first model attempt to fly it and it will end in tear's and your dosh wasted..........

old hand anderson...........ne 1.

Sorry all, being an "old Hand" I should have pointed that out too, about this planes suitability for a beginner - so here it is ......IT's NOT !
It has a fast roll rate, and if you moved the aileron stick to much even with expo set, it will roll quickly making a newbie loose orientation and putting the model and possible others at risk.

It does slow down very nicely into a slight headwind for gentle touchdowns, however, as both above say it fully areobatic, so not suited to a first time flyer.

Hello John, just to add my vote to the rest of the lads, don't fly this model. If you still have the box,put it back in it, and go for a high winger. ST models do a great Cessna,and cheap too. Maybe the shop who sold you the model will exchange it for something more suitable. You also need to do some research on Lipo batteries,potentially very dangerous lads. There are great threads on the site that you should check out for "newbies". Welcome to the hobby.... but be careful and if you can,join a local flying club. 

Oh dear... I did not realise this plane is not newbie friendly!

Unfortunately I cannot return it so I might as well try to fly it. Nothing like a bit of pressure

Yes, my motor has a deans connector, but my battery does not, it only has a small white plug (no idea what it is called) and two additional wires. I will have a closer look tonight.

Thanks everybody, I will let you know how it goes...

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 23/02/2010 09:58:12

Thanks everybody. I cannot return the plane so I might as well try and fly it. Nothing like a bit of pressure

My motor has a deans connector, but my battery does not. It only has a smallish white plug with all the connections in a row and two additional wires. I will have a closer look tonight.

Oh, and I will let you know how it goes, for better or worse...

john-think you should def consider the word's of wisdom that are been offered to you....99% certain if you attempt to go alone you will end up with a load of expensive bit's of foam that will be only good for the bin........many moon's ago i tried the same route as you are talking about..thought - there will be nothing to it-one and only flight lasted 10/20 sec max........best to take up delta's offer-it will pay dividends in the long run....

ken anderson. 

no need to return it - wait till you're competant on a trainer style model so buy one of those first.

you still haven't said anything about being a member of a club or having insurance. If you fly in a park with a model designed for advanced pilots you are Dangerous to the general public. Especially without insurance you could find yourself in a nasty situation if you injure someone or damage property. please do not attempt to fly it on your own, not least as its a very nice model and i'd hate to see more crash pics on this forum.