Replacement Trainer

ericrw

Advert

Just to clarify, is the Wot 4 one model, a high wing sports plane, and then is there the Uno Wot, Chris Foss’s Trainer. Eric says that his was a Ripmax Wot trainer,  I think this a modified or ‘made under licence’ ARTF version of the Uno Wot, probably in China. Then, if so, I’d be tempted to say that going back to a standard trainer might be, in some ways, a slightly retrograde step. The Uno Wot, Chris’s original, although regarded as a trainer, was probably only limited by the pilots ability, as they say.           
    Can we ask, Eric, and with the greatest respect, of course, how did you crash? If you were fooling around, then perhaps you don’t need a trainer anyway. If it was too hot to handle, would a consultation with your instructor be a good idea? If you are going it alone, a big glue pot, and a equally large sack-full of determination is a good start. Whatever model. When I remember my first lone hand 10 second attempts, off the slope, shares in Balsa Cement and Tissue Paste must have gone through the roof!
    It sounds to me as though you might be well into it, so perhaps a practise model, a Seagull 40, as a first low-winger maybe, while you look around and see what you really want to fly. An Irvine 53 will give that a nice sparkle!!
    This is all personal choice really, but I can only believe that if you’ve been poling a Wot Trainer around with an Irvine 53 up front with confidence, then you can only progress forwards.

Good Luck and Happy Landings.           PB

Peter,

as you say, to clarify...

As far as I remember the WOT4 came first - a design by Chris Foss which was an attempt (sucessful in my view) to create a model which could be a Sunday hack in the hands of any half way competant pilot - but could do most of the aerobatic moves then "in the book" - this was before 3D! The model has lots a clever features, in particular;

A fuselage that contributes to lift.

A "trick" aerofoil that somehow combines stability, good slow speed handling and agility.

Its robust and easy to repair.

I think I'm right in saying Chris Foss then went on (following the sucess of the WOT 4) to design the Uno WOT, the WOTS WAT, the acro WOT and so on. The period concerned is I think approx mid to late 70's onward.

In a very real sense in the WOT 4 Foss hit upon the "optimum" design for a model airplane of that size - which is why it may be equaled - but is unlikely to be surpassed.

Very much later Foss has something of a re-emergence with first the WOT Trainer (which is not a WOT 4 - but looks superficially like it but more benign) and most recently the WOT 4 ARTF with ripmax.

The reason why some folks refer to the WOT 4 as trainer is its excellent manners and good slow speed handling. Foss has never claimed it was such - in fact if I remember correctly he always refered to it as a "sports plane" or an "aerobatic trainer". It has enjoyed a lot of sucess as a "second model" after a trainer and as an almost indestructable hack/ engine test bed!

For the youngesters amongst us think on this - if it hadn't been for the WOT4 there may not be 3D - the pioneers of 3D learnt it all on a "hot" WOT 4!

In short its part of our collective RC modelling heritage and many modellers, including me, will always have a soft spot for it.

BEB

The WOT trainer when it first came out was not up to it's name, I believe the V2 is a major improvement so if you were happy with that then stick with it.

If you crashed because you were having difficulties getting the hang of flying the Wot Trainer then a different trainer with with a flat under wing and lots of dihedral could be beneficial (Arising Star for example). 

If your crash was just a silly moment get a Boomerang or better still a Tutor 40 now the price has come down. The 53 will fit in the Tutor40, it will be a bit quick at the novice stage though.

There's no need to stick with or convert to a tail dragger. If you can land a tail dragger properly  then you can land a trike undercarriage properly too.

the great thing about the tutor is it has a semi symmetrical wing section which means it can fly inverted. The arising star can't as it has a flat bottomed section. I've flown both and the tutor is way better. the arising star is a bit of a dead end after circuits. The boomerang has a similar section to the tutor so its an alternative, but the tutor is a better quality kit and from my experience, is more friendly to fly.

i also can't understand the wot 4 hype. its an old model which i think is outdated now in both looks and flying qualities. A lot of vintage flyers still think a super 60 is the bees knees. how wrong they are! i've never actually flown a wot, but the one on phoenix sim is rubbish. 

Now thats a bit rich Jonathan - you condemn the classic WOT4 as outdated in flying qualities, yet then admit you have never even flown one !
As everyone knows, flying a SIM model is rarely if ever akin to the "real thing".
Sorry, but your plain wrong - the WOT 4 remains a classic for a reason. My wife learned to fly from scratch on a WOT4 - old version with fixed chord flat wing etc, and apart from slopers, she still finds it the easiest of all my models to fly.

yo -i can knife edge a rising star........the original Wot 4 need's defending here...if you want a model that will do what ever you are capable of and also let you off with a prang or two---i would put out the feeler's for one..then after you have flown a one..you'll see wot everybody get's excited about----------as for never flying a one and saying the sim one is 'rubbish'............you're probably right but come on a sim is a sim.......

ken anderson.........wot party ne 1...

ok, you're probably right . it was just so underwhelming on the sim that i didn't know what all the fuss was all about. after a basic trainer to learn the ropes i'd always progress to a low wing trainer to learn aerobatics. Here, my travel air was faultless in laying my aerobatic foundations.

lol, knife edge an arising star . you must be a very tallented pilot ken with a .60 2 stroke in the nose of your plane . either that or you're flying a farnborough pass - half way to KE and something most 4 channel trainers will do, including the tutor. I still think that the tutor flies inverted the best of all the trainers. it taught me inverted 8s

My Wot 4 gets to the field more often than anything else because
it's just so nice to fly - I love it. Even more so because it's electric powered!
Second to this is a big 72" DB Super Mascot which flies like a dream.
No longer available unfortunately.
It's little sibling is available from DB S&S, but as it's a proper builder's
model too many fliers will not consider it, or the equally good
Skyrider.

Hi All,  I've bought  another Wot 4 Trainer.  It's what I'm used too and it came out tops in this particular Topic.   In answer to Peter; at the time of the incident I was actually involved in a lesson with a Buddy Box and a very experienced Instructor.   So there was no messing around!    As I said earlier I had the'plane doing rectangular  circuits and approaches, it was in the up-wind leg of the circuit when I realised I had no control at the same moment, the Instructor realised he too had no control!   We could do nothing but watch the 'plane abscond!!   After the bits had been found and brought back to the site, the Instructor, went to the extreme bottom ( I can't guess how far but it was beyond a reasonable distance) of the field and lo & behold he was able to get a signal response from the remains.   I can only believe that ,as some forumites have concluded, that the  flight battery was low but had regain power during the twenty minutes or so that had lapsed before being returned to the site.   As far as my experience goes, I have not had the dry mouth syndrome for nearly 6 months !!   Eric.

Sorry buddy,
bit late now as you have spent the dosh.

But a quick search found black horse speed or travel air £57 from webbies . that way you can choose trike or tail dragger and it is not alot to loose in the event. i used to have a jumper and I got that for under £40 ( not that long ago) Some people believe in spending money for the sake of spending money. Early days Seagull and black horse defo bargins to be had.

Gaz  

Hi Eric,I think youve done the right thing.One of my club members has a Wot Trainer,and he then progressed to more advanced models.He gave his Wot to his local model shop to sell.They overpriced it.He then crashed his advanced model,and was at a loss as to which direction to go.I suggested he gets his Wot Trainer back.He now has,A Junior 60,A large Cap 10 A Large Cub,A Large Corsair,And  has an even bigger 90 inch Taylorcraft.What does he bring every week flying,His Wot Trainer He is comfortable with it,he enjoys flying with it its relaxing for him..A trainer doesnt have to end because youve grown above it.You can still enjoy it and it becomes fun to fly..So, learn to fly your Wot  and when you can fly  it enjoy it and relax with it.

Eric,    Thanks for your answer.  At least you know the cause of the crash was straightforward, even if the reason was a bit of a mystery.  I’ve seen this occur, too, admittedly not very often, and I found that yanking the lead out of the master effected a cure. Theory says that if anything goes wrong, the master tx takes control, no matter what, and that does happen, usually, but I wondered if the tx’s could get crossed up in some way. In your case, as you say, it could well be the battery, but I would be gently surprised if it was. I’ve generally found, that once it’s flat, if it recovers it very quickly fails again. May I recommend you do a bit battery inspection. Oddly enough, I’ve just posted about batteries in the ‘Saito cutting out. Help please’ thread by Tim Campling, and also ‘Common sense regarding ALL batteries’ by Myron Beaumont.
    I reckon you did the right thing, model wise. If the Wot Trainer is only half the model of Chris’s Uno Wot, then it’s still a cracker!  Unfortunately we don’t have any in our club, I shall recommend it to the next person that wants to learn to be a total masochist. I’m sure your Instructor gives it the occasional workout, and with that lively lump energetically cranking it’s curly bits, I imagine whole package is given a plus vote.

You Have Control!    All The Best.             PB

The Wot 4 is a fantastic plane!!  a trainer? no not really... can you learn on one well yes you could but then again you may learn to swim if we just chuck you in the water, it does depend on the person, it depends what model you are after 
ARTF? arizing star, tutor 40 et al
trad kit?  Wot trainer, telemaster precedent T240, flair cub

whatever you do, don't try to run before you can walk it will cost you more in the long run  

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Eric !
Maybe I'mlate,but if you want to click on:www.hobbico.com  ,and  than click on "NexSTAR"artf trainer (watch the video).This model trainer is one of the best in the world and has following characteristics:wingspan 69''/lenght 56''/weight 5.5 lb,requires engines.46-.55 cu in .No matter what you choose,I wish you much happines and satisfaction. Best regards Joe

• 3 weeks later...
Will add my 2 peneth.....

ARC Ready 2........excellent trainer, easily handle a .53, mine did.......easy to repair if/when/should the ground race up to meet it!  I would say 98% of the guys training at my field use them.....well worth a looksie

Edited By Mark Rowse on 19/03/2010 19:42:56