New DX8

Tim Mackey

Seems a decent set - nice to see in particular the addition of user changeable modes ( makes it easier to sell it on / let others try it etc )
SD card memory expansion, and roller ( DX6i style ) menu access and setting - and especially the telemetry facility.
I assume this will need either completely new receivers, or perhaps an addon for existing receivers - if not, then its not much use for exsxting long term DX7 /DX6i users like myself who have ammased a large number of Rx units.
Anyone know if any of the 4 non primary channels is propo?...perhaps on a flap slider or whatever??

Advert

So let's hope that all the bugs of the DX6i are corrected - just to remember:

potentiometer problem of the sticks

combined roll - push button switch breaks easy

wrong design of the trim switches - the spring-like part which pushes the actual switch breaks - especially at low temperatures.

As the case of the new DX8 looks pretty much like that of the old DX6i I can only hope that they changed something.
VA

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 09/02/2010 11:59:55:
It's so new, even the Horizon staff there were seeing and playing with it for the first time. 

Should be supplied with an AR8000 Rx.  I assume you mean telemetry Tim? I guess it'll be backwards compatible but perhaps without the telemetry on older RXs? 

Yes I meant the telemetry aspect - it will of course be completely compatible with all existing JR / Spekky 2.4G receivers, in their simplest form as it were.
I was querying whether perhaps there would be an add on module for the telemetry side of things rather than simply just dedicated telemetric Rx units IYSWIM. I suspect this is how it will work - the supplied 8000 rx will be telemetry port equipped, and you buy separately any telemetry modules you desire and daisy chain them to the port.... RX battery feedback, altimeter, temp etc. I think there is an existing Spekky receiver now with such a port - certainly the early car stuff had it.

Posted by Vecchio Austriaco on 09/02/2010 12:18:06:
So let's hope that all the bugs of the DX6i are corrected - just to remember:

potentiometer problem of the sticks

combined roll - push button switch breaks easy

wrong design of the trim switches - the spring-like part which pushes the actual switch breaks - especially at low temperatures.

As the case of the new DX8 looks pretty much like that of the old DX6i I can only hope that they changed something.
VA

Had a DX6i for 18 months now Vecchio and not a single problem with any of those things - although I know you are not the only one to have had the issues .
As you say, hopefully they have improved these aspects on this new set.

May be it is not cold enough at your place Timbo
My son is the happy owner of a DX6i since one year and after 6 month the programming switch (roll - push button) broke - so I made him a new one out of aluminium. 6 weeks ago we noticed that 2 of the trim switches go only in one direction - replaced all 4 trim switches with aluminium ones (this time purchased - pretty time consuming to make them at home).
I own the DX7 - never a mechanical problem. (so far...)

VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 09/02/2010 12:43:12

Oh I think we can compete quite well on the temperature issue Vecchio - a 60 MPH wind in winter up the top of the Great Orme is not for the faint hearted or improperly dressed!
Interestingly, we had a guy in the States on here last year  who was proposig to make and sell via a UK distributor the aluminium trim levers and rollers you mention. I did try to get a few retailers interested, but without much sucess .

May be it was exactly that guy where I purchased the trim levers. A company in the states called East RC. I found the address in some thread here in RCME. The trim leavers are CNC machined, fit perfect as replacement and will for sure survive the lifetime of the transmitter. What I didn't like was that the shipping cost was almost equal to the cost of the replacement parts...
By the way speaking to other guys at our field - we were not the only ones having this problems. But the majority has asked for replacement to Horizon hobby.
VA

Oooooohh, exciting.

Loving the DX10 telemetry & Li-Po, design is refreshing too.

Would love to see an official Spektrum telemetry module though for the  current range though (Alt, speed, temp, battery info, etc).

I don't think I will be selling my DX7 though, it does everything I need for planes & heli's.

Funny thing is I was under the impression that Spektrum had a deal with JR that they would never produce a radio set higher than 7ch, kind of like a Japanese business man's golden hand shake....Well I guess not.

Both look interesting, and the DX8 with its telemetry does appeal. For electric flight its a real advantage to actually see how much juice your lipo (or A123) flight pack has got in it ant any point of the flight. I wonder if it displays voltage of Mah?

That said I do like my DX7 and am very happy with it. I would get the DX8 for the telemetry (although Jeti and Hitec both have good systems of this) alone. Its just a shame it looks so much like the DX6i. I much prefer the machined look of my DX7. Also noticed the back lit LCD...thats the other thing the DX7 could really do with.

So yes, very interesting. I'll try and find out if a telemetry module will be avaiable to enable us to some, if not all of the current DMS2 spektrum Rx's.

prop.

BTW where can I find some more pictures from the show? Proving very hard to find!

Good question Andy but TBH I dont know the answer. I supsect not. I can say that it is highly unlikely that most mere mortals would never spot the difference - one of the great "advertised"  things about 2.4G generally when oit first hit the RC world was the supposed lower latency, which promised things like "locked in feel" and instantaneous response etc. Now maybe its me, but frankly I cant feel any difference to any other system in that regard, and I suspect that the average club pilot is unlikely to either.....perhaps the top gun super ace pilots of the competition circuit can, but for mere mortals.....nah.
The standard DX7 Tx outputs at 22 ms and resolution of 1024, and the SE edtion is half of that on both counts - with compatible Rx units only of course.

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 10/02/2010 08:28:52

I have just seen the piccys of the DX10 and i got a bit of sick in the back of my throat, its horiffic!!!!   european taste eh!! just watch the eurovision song contest and that will tell you all you need to know, at the moment the futaba 8fg (it sticks in my craw to say this) is the best looking unit out there, unless JR bring out a good looking tx in the next year or two i may have to go Fu***ba, please lord nooooooo!!

Posted by propogandhi on 09/02/2010 23:56:12:
Funny thing is I was under the impression that Spektrum had a deal with JR that they would never produce a radio set higher than 7ch, kind of like a Japanese business man's golden hand shake....Well I guess not.

So did I prop, perhaps the agreement had an expiry date...... 

Guy's not seeing yet the Tx in discussion, it appears that it dosn't sit well to "ones" eye, of some.
Altho I have been a Futaba man since 1972, pehaps it is in the catorgary as the new FG8, I am sure it is good, but looks verry plain, if you took of the "label", it could be a cheapy.
Let's hope they all put back the style
A.A.Barry

Posted by Lee Smalley on 10/02/2010 09:00:02:
I have just seen the piccys of the DX10 and i got a bit of sick in the back of my throat, its horiffic!!!!   european taste eh!! just watch the eurovision song contest and that will tell you all you need to know, at the moment the futaba 8fg (it sticks in my craw to say this) is the best looking unit out there, unless JR bring out a good looking tx in the next year or two i may have to go Fu***ba, please lord nooooooo!!

You not seen the 11x from JR yet then, Looks wickied like a transformer!

BB (who has his name on one)

Great to see Spektrum getting into telemetry, perhaps this will help sway the doubters who claim telemetry's an unnecessary frill, a distraction to your flying which won't catch on.  Mind you, don't listen to anything I say, I'm clearly a wierdo because I quite like the looks of the DX10!  And my favourite feature of this new Tx is the fold out storage pockets - has that been done before or is it as innovative as I think it is?

All eyes must now be on Futaba who are noticeably falling behind the pack.  Surely they will launch a telemetry equipped system this year?  Fingers crossed.