Hitec Optic 6 problems

James Gwillim

Hi guy's - HELP!!!
I recently bought an Optic 6 TX on ebay - it appealed to me as it is easily, and cheaply upgradable to 2.4Ghz with a module, something that I can't do with my Futaba 6EXA. Anyway, there seems to be a few problems with the Optic 6, and I'm completely baffled.

Problem 1 - it will only work with my current RX's ( Futaba and Corona ) when set to Negative shift - opposite to what the manual says.

Problem 2 - I can only get the throttle to work in reverse, and over only half the stick travel - ie full throttle with the stick fully back / down, and minimum throttle with the stick in the centre position. Servo reversing seems to have no effect over the direction of operation. I should also mention that this is being used with an electric model, so throttle channel conected to an ESC. Am I missing something?

Any help that anyone can offer would be very much apprecieted

Cheers Guy's

James

Advert

Hi guy's thanks for the suggestions - especially you Wingman. I cleared all the model memories and started again, and hey presto, throttle problem solved! It will still only work with shift set to positive though, opposite to what the manual says should work with futaba, and I'm getting a lot of servo chatter, but that could be the confined space of the room that my models are currently housed in.

Thanks again guy's

James

I was about to agree with Wingman, and suggest a reset.

The positive shift is confusing, should be -ve shift with futaba but with UK recievers I was under the impression that the shift did not matter.

I will test mine later on +ve and -ve shift with Futaba recievers just to confirm my suspicions.

Servo chatter could come from having the Tx too close, or it could be a loose aerial.
Are you using Hitec crystals in the Tx because they can be sensitive to non Hitec crystals.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by James Gwillim on 13/02/2010 07:51:32:
Hi Andy, no, I'm using the xtal from my Futaba 6EXA, so that could be the problem. I've checked the aerial, and it's not loose, so I guess it's the most likely cause!
 Cheers   James
 Definitely the problem - Futaba TX crystals are not interchangeable with Hitec TX  - different specs & RX not as finely cut...
Crystals are no longer interchangeable between brands, contrary to popular belief they are totally different in cut, overtone value and a few other specs. e.g. Hitec DC RX crystals on 35.36 & 40MHz have a frequency 10.7MHz ABOVE the nominal frequency whereas Futaba DC RX crystals are 10.7MHz BELOW nominal frequency. Hitec FM TX xtals are cut at half nominal frequency whereas the Futaba FM TX xtals are cut at 1/3 nominal frequency.
Whilst you may get reasonable results in good conditions with Hitec xtals in Futaba RX, Hitec crystals must be used in Hitec RX for optimum results. Futaba single conversion RX crystals may appear to work but with proven less range and glitching, especially noticeable in damp weather or wet ground. Local radio technician was surprised but ran a number of tests with result he is also now convinced that there is a significant difference in the crystals as has also been confirmed by the local crystal manufacturer who supplies USA military and others requirements.
For further information, refer to

Edited By A.T. on 01/03/2010 07:02:01

Edited By A.T. on 01/03/2010 07:05:19

• 1 month later...
Hi,

about 18 months ago I purcahsed the HI-TEC Optic 6 Sport and it's my own fault really but I checked everything was in the box and seeign the quality checked symbol on the box lid and put it to one side while I was building a few aeroplanes and learnig to fly. I've built the planes and got to the point of installing the radio and on Sunday dug the transmitter etc out of the box. First thing decided to charge the transmitter but to my horror I discovered that either the Amerang charger socket is too big, or the hole for charger plug is too small in the plastic casing of the TX. I've bought another charger as it's out of the guarantee period, just in-case I've got a duff charger from Steve Webb Models whose happy to accept returns in-case it's a problem with the TX, but if anybody has any useful suggestions as to what I can do I'd be very greatful for any help, or advice.

I sent an e-mail to HI-Tec  but I've had nothing back from them, but the only thing that I can think of is to make the hole bigger in the plastic casing,  but the idea of doing that  doesn't appeal really.

Any thoughts?    

Not quite clear what the problem is as it's a bit strange that the supplied charger doesn't fit. Anyway you can't enlarge the hole in the TX case as it is a socket with a pin for the centre connection and a 'finger' for the outer connection. In any case it would seem that a quick and cheap solution would be to spend £10.99 on a genuine Hi-Tec charger here :- charger

Hi guys,

That's great and thanks for your help and when packed they must have put in the wrong charger. I suppose my own fault for not trying everything when I first bought it from a model shop 18 months ago. I've contacted Steve Webb models and puchased another Hi-Tec charger and looking at the photos very kindly provided by Wingman mine looks identical to the one in the photo, so I don't know. Let's hope the new charger solves my problem and thanks once again for the advice to not drill the casing.  I was planning on returning it to Amerang (Hi-TEC) UK distributor before doing that anyway. The hole for the charger is definatly the one to the left of the battery compartment when looking at it? Clutching at straws here really I know.

Dylan  

This is a topic I've read a bit on and there seems to be some difference in some Optic 6 sets. I'm using a Futaba charger with my Optic 6, and it fits and charges perfectly, but I have read that the futaba charger doesn't work or fit with some people's sets. There must be at least two different spec sets out there!

Regards

James

• 7 months later...
I have a Hitec Optic 6 transmitter with a hitec spectra 35m synthesized RF module fitted,
 I have just had two hitec electron 6 dual conversion receivers given to me ,I am quite new to this hobby and really need some advice please can one of you good chaps out there tell me if the receivers are compatable or will I have to put the old module in and get a set of dual crystals ,
   Many thanks ,regards Tony ,

A.T.'s post above clears up a mystery for me. A few years ago I bought an RTF heli on 35MHz. After flying it a few times I took it to an indoor meeting and someone else was using channel 69, which the heli Tx was on. I said 'No probs, I've got xtals for 72 and 74 so I'll change channel' The xtals were for normally used with my Futaba 6EX and when I fitted ch. 74 xtals to the Tx and heli rx all seemed well at first... then at about 20 feet away the heli twitched and went berserk pirouetting upwards on full throttle until it hit the sports hall ceiling which shattered the top rotor, then it dropped like a stone and broke into several pieces when it hit the floor! End of heli. I blamed interference at the time thinking all xtals were the same but obviously the Futaba xtals weren't suitable for the heli's radio. After that disaster I bought an McX on 2.4 and later on, Spektrum gear.

Posted by Anthony Vanstone on 05/12/2010 19:49:48:
I have a Hitec Optic 6 transmitter with a hitec spectra 35m synthesized RF module fitted,
 I have just had two hitec electron 6 dual conversion receivers given to me ,I am quite new to this hobby and really need some advice please can one of you good chaps out there tell me if the receivers are compatable or will I have to put the old module in and get a set of dual crystals ,
   Many thanks ,regards Tony ,
 If it helps, Anthony, I have an Optic 6 with a Spectra module on 41Mhz (I'm in France). I have used it with a Hitec Rx and both single conversion and dual conversion synthesised Corona Rx's and all have worked with no issues. Provided you set the Spectra frequency to that of the RX, it should work fine.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by James Gwillim on 25/04/2010 10:35:58:
This is a topic I've read a bit on and there seems to be some difference in some Optic 6 sets. I'm using a Futaba charger with my Optic 6, and it fits and charges perfectly, but I have read that the futaba charger doesn't work or fit with some people's sets. There must be at least two different spec sets out there!
 Regards   James

Caution, using a Futaba charge lead as  this will sometimes result in an intermittant connection and TX battery not charged
The Futaba has a non standard charge plug - 2.5mm centre whereas others, like Hitec & JR etc use a 2.1mm centre.

Hitec TX Plug Polarity & Sizes - picture
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3820878/Hitec%20TX%20Plug%20Polarity.jpg
Transmitter Charge Plugs - Size & Connections - picture
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3820878/Transmitter%20Charge%20Plugs.jpg

Alan T.