Ripmax Messerschmitt bf109 (EP600)

Kev Bamber

I have the Ripmax Spitfire EP600 and am looking to compliment it with the Messerschmitt bf109 (EP600).

Looking at the few bits of info out there, the Ripmax Messerschmitt comes across a lot less benign that the spitty; with the few you-tube videos showing it as a wing dropper from the hand launch & and spiralling in.

Does anyone have any experience of the Ripmax Messerschmitt? Is it as sweet as the Ripmax Spitfire, or a trickier little plane?

Kev   

Advert

Thanks for your replies, that gives me some guidance.

I'll use a similar 500watt setup as my Spitfire which should help it in those few seconds after launch, use a good launch-mate for the first flights and keep the CoG foward initially.

I do like the Mustang, & from talking at my club (flying, not gentlemen's) seems to have  the same sweet characteristics as the Spit - but it has to be the bf109.

• 8 months later...
Well, I've finally put together a Ripmax Messerschmitt bf109 and waiting for a weather window for its maiden.

On weighing it I've found it comes in a full 11 ounces heavier than the Ripmax Spitty, that's 25% more. I can see now why they're not as sweet on launch.

The ripmax bumf shows it less than 4oz heavier so that's clearly wrong cos I've built both with similar motor/battery weights.

Edited By Kev Bamber on 31/10/2010 16:01:09

Hi Kev, I have battled with the 109 during the summer and it has been a handful at times. I moved the c of g forward to get the model to behave. (I had to cut the forward battery end stops out to allow extra forward travel.) The indicated c of g position seemed to make mine a little pitchy to say the least. I got no indication on mine for the tailplane incidence, I seem to remember it varied depending exactly where you positioned it, forward end of the seat or to the rear. Perhaps mine has ended up with incorrect incidence??

As others have said you have to keep it fast to keep it tame, landings are a little hot, much quicker than the Spit.

Cheers
Danny

Thanks Danny,

That's interesting, I also had to cut away the battery ends stops by around an inch just to get the 85mm CoG Ripmax recommend. So you suggest moving the CoG even further forward?

I Pushed my tailplane as far forward as it would go in the pre-cut slots.

Sounds like this is going to be interesting !!

Kev.

Hi Kev, I think if memory serves me right I had to cut the battery box end stop to get the c of g exactly right, it was about 1/8 too far back otherwise, so had to cut the box to get it spot on. I really didn't expect an 1/8 to make that much difference but it did. It was still a bit too fast for my liking.

I also made the mistake of using cheap servos which made things even worse as they didn't centre very well. I changed the ailerons for good ones and that helped. I haven't changed the elevator servo yet. If it is still unpleasant after that then it will be up for grabs at the next bring and buy......

Cheers
Danny

This is a bit odd. I have "built" my own Ripmax Spit, helped considerably with a friends Mustang, and to lesser degree also assisted John Bowman with his ME109.
 Following the success of the powertrain I used in my Spitfire, I recommended the exact same setup for the others - which they adopted.
I maidened each of them, including unpowered slope flying, and also flat field powered, and have to say that although I liked the Spitfire the best, the other two flew just fine.
All were balanced on the exact recommended spot, and apart from a recent "incident" with the ME109 ( caused by a faullty servo ) it has flown well, with none of the nasties mentioned here. John is perfectly happy with it - apart from the servo incident, and another self induced issue he had on a previous flight.
Incidentally, power is around 350 watts.

I broke mine again launching in nil wind conditions .

It is nice when it is in the air.

The elevator is very keen so I use 20% expo to calm it down, you could always reduce the throws if it is still a bit keen.

Part way through the rebuild and a more realistic colour scheme,will post a blog when it is finished.

last pic before I crashed it

Short video of a landing.

Good luck with the maiden 

• 3 weeks later...
I've just maidened the Ripmax Messerschmitt that I started this thread for & so thought I'd close the loop (pun intended) with some feedback.

Take-off was from a hand launch by my brother, rather than self launch using those silly finger holes. This was event free with no wing drop from a reasonable throw. I'm sure having decent power (550w) & CoG a few mm forward of book helped it away.

Landing also fine. In fact cos this has a fixed prop with brake off, the speed bleeds off much quicker than my Spitfire, which just glides on & on with its folding prop.

In flight I found it great, responsive but no too twichy. Some people in this thread reported the 109 to be  very sensitive to elevator. Again, I think having my CoG a few mm forward of book helped, cos mine was fine.

The one area I struggled with today was orintation. The light was flat with low cloud, but even so, I was okay with my other planes. That duck egg blue & green colour scheme is a nighmare to see to see, with the plane silhouetting through the turns.

My verdict, a great flyer but difficult to orientate in low light. Just hope it's easier to see in good light.

Kev.