Seagull Pilatus PC9

Ian Jones

Advert

Hi Shane,

Sounds like you are getting to grips with it but please can you quote word for word what it says in your instructions about the CG. I've flown a good number of these on their maiden flights and have never known one to have the CG quoted as being measured at the wing tip. We need to get this cleared up for you.

Also please check you have the correct instructions for your model because the 71" wingspan model that Tim has does indeed have the CG quoted as being measured at the tip and I expect that is the reason he asked you for clarification on which model you have.

I am wondering if the instructions you have and the model match each other?

Here's the manual for the 71" version (MS: SEA 94) (Model has registration number A23-062)

Here's the manual for the 60.63" version (MS:12) (model has registration number A23-057)

Edited By Ian Jones on 16/08/2011 01:32:59

Edited By Ian Jones on 16/08/2011 01:33:24

Posted by Shane Sunday on 16/08/2011 10:09:41:
this is the funny and confusing part. My manual is infact the 60.63 version but inclueds the image for balancing from the 71 version.

Thers something very wrong here somewhere and I think you should talk to the distributers, J Perkins Distibution, here's the relevant contact details:

Telephone 0044 (0)1622 854 300
Fax 0044 (0)1622 854 301
Email Servicing/Support [email protected]

Just to re-iterate.
The wing on this aeroplane is swept back along the leading edge so if the balance point should be 90mm from the leading edge at the root but due to an error it has been balanced 90mm from the LE at the tip then the aircraft will be seriously tail heavy and unlikely to survive it's first take-off.

Please let us know what J Perkins say.

That's what I'm saying. I've tried to contact JP via the phone but they are open for calls at the convenient times of 10:30 and 1:30 when I am elbows deep in work. If the equation... the root of the wing devided by four is correct then I'm not far off. with the root from leading edge to TE being 29cm. then 9.5 should be ok right?

• 2 months later...
Well it is now october nearly November and I have been waiting for a day off along with good weather. Also a friend has wanted me to maiden it at his club but due to bad weather and days off this has not been possible. I have been waiting some time to fly thus bad boy. The weather today in Belfast has been nice, overcast and winds about 12-15 mph. So no more waiting I had to take her up. WOW! I thought I might need to use a different prop to get more power but my 13x4 works a treat. The battery is a 5s 5500 mah lipo and the AUW is 6lbs 5oz. I had a quick flight to see how she performed and only needed 3 clicks up trim to have her flying straight and level. I think I could trim a couple oz of lead off the front. First flight was 4 mins with a good landing second was 3.20 mins and a rough landing but I still had 36% of the battery left after both flights. I've so much to say but I think WOW sums it up.

Thanks for all the help guys.

• 2 years later...

hi can somebody please tell me what the Wing Root Chord is for The SEAGULL PILATUS PC9 ROULETTE (40-46). 60.6 inch wing span?? I need to know if I buy a wing set it will fit to a fuselage I have already.

I am hoping someone says 11" as that's what I need!

thanks

A.O

• 8 months later...

I have just bought one of these second hand but new.

i am flying it with 6s 4000. It was marvellously. I had two issues one retract leg snapped when landing on grass, no biggy but not great. Also I was expecting more power. I have a carbon z cub that has loads of power I am thinking of reproducing that set up?

• 8 years later...

I have been digging and found the Seagull Ref 103, the 70/91 version, 63"/1m60, for my 'upgraded' Laser .90,,,(🤐)

179€ new and delivered to me free,,,,😇

instructions,,

https://www.miniplanes.fr/avions-thermiques/aviation-civile/seagull-pc9-7591-160m-sea103-p-22421.html

Now do I fiddle with the rubbish retracts or get electric ones, that's the question ?.

A friend of mine had the Seagull Roulettes PC9 as his first low winger - a lovely model that I set up and test flew for him quite a few years ago - viceless and looked really good in the air. Never had an issue with it - plus he didn't pay anywhere near what they're asking for them now!

As for retracts 😠...............if the model is just going to be a fun sport hack then for practicality I'd be very tempted to fit a fixed set. Small retracts of any type just don't appear to be anywhere near robust enough to my mind for the average club field, even the reassuringly expensive Eflites that don't seem to be any better than the  Hobby King examples that were selling at a fraction of the price. Most folks wouldn't know if the full size had a fixed undercart anyway and unless it really bothers you, it might be worth considering.

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

179€ new and delivered to me free,,,,

You made an old pedant happy by not saying 'for free'......... thank you.

I'd try the mechanical ones first, then bin them if necessary.  That's my plan for Seagull P47 - if the weather gods, and a free day, ever allow me to actually fly it.............

2 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

A friend of mine had the Seagull Roulettes PC9 as his first low winger - a lovely model that I set up and test flew for him quite a few years ago - viceless and looked really good in the air. Never had an issue with it - plus he didn't pay anywhere near what they're asking for them now!

As for retracts 😠...............if the model is just going to be a fun sport hack then for practicality I'd be very tempted to fit a fixed set. Small retracts of any type just don't appear to be anywhere near robust enough to my mind for the average club field, even the reassuringly expensive Eflites that don't seem to be any better than the  Hobby King examples that were selling at a fraction of the price. Most folks wouldn't know if the full size had a fixed undercart anyway and unless it really bothers you, it might be worth considering.

Have you used the EFlite retracts and compared them with the Hobbyking units in use?

My own experience of a number of EFlite retract units is that they are significantly better on grass than the Hobbyking equivalents. The exception is the small 10-15 size 90 degree twist and turn set, which has a very delicate ball joint nylon linkage to impart the twist-and-turn movement. I've had two sets of those fail and replaced them with the closest FMS set, which required some surgery to fit the same mounts. Other than those all of my other EFlite sets have been much less troublesome than the Hobbyking/Durafly sets. Don't get me started on Dynam retracts though.

8 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

".....reassuringly expensive....." - my universal translator just says overpriced... you're far more polite than I am!

It is at 368€ on the biggest cut price site,,,https://www.miniplanes.fr/avions-thermiques/aviation-civile/seagull-pc9-7591-160m-sea103-p-22421.html

If they are the sg retracts with the blue rubbish plastic I will probably go Chinese electric,,,

Ours is a gravel runway.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
Runway

11 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Have you used the EFlite retracts and compared them with the Hobbyking units in use?

My own experience of a number of EFlite retract units is that they are significantly better on grass than the Hobbyking equivalents. The exception is the small 10-15 size 90 degree twist and turn set, which has a very delicate ball joint nylon linkage to impart the twist-and-turn movement. I've had two sets of those fail and replaced them with the closest FMS set, which required some surgery to fit the same mounts. Other than those all of my other EFlite sets have been much less troublesome than the Hobbyking/Durafly sets. Don't get me started on Dynam retracts though.

Only going on the experience of other club members who have expressed their disappointment at the quality versus cost of the Eflites and having a look at a friend's Eflite set that had packed up (to be fair, the problem was an ingress of grit gumming up the works now and again, so not really a fault with the unit).  I've made some mods to a Hobby King set consisting of a larger and better quality Oleo pin - 6mm instead of 5mm - larger cap heads instead of grub screws in the trunnions and elsewhere  - fashioned  aluminium mounting plates instead of the silly plastic ones supplied as standard. The electronics and actuating mechanism in the HKs have never given me trouble despite the lead screw looking a bit weedy.  Fitted in my old Hangar 9 60" P47, so far so good.