Model transport box

Hi everybody, I raised this subject last year out of general interest but now I really need to do this!
I need to build a transprt box to carry models on my motorbike. It has been suggested elsewhere that I could use Corex which is the lightweight board that estate agents use fro their signs.
any input appreciated.
Marty

Advert

I was thinking along the same lines.

My plan was to build a wooden frame and cut polystyrene blocks as padding.

Another idea for the padding was to mould padding by filling plastic bags with expanding foam (I am not sure how well this would work).

The protection would come from the frame and I just was going to use cardboard to cover the sides. However in your case you will probably need it waterproof so corex sounds a good option.

I will be very interested what other ideas come up

Martyn

Just be safe.

I remember when I was a canoeist, that an unfortunate young man was knocked of his motor cycle by another vehicle and died as a consequence. It was his paddle apparently that played a major part in the incident.

Erfolg

Have you considered towing a trailer?
It would seem that I am not alone in knowing how you get on, keep us up-dated.

I would very much like to use the same mode of transport but want to keep to the minimum capacity for towing a trailer which is 125cc.  However finding a modern 125 with the old design twin rear swinging arm to attach a trailer hitch is proving difficult. 

I had thought about a trailer but I'm restricted on strorage space!
I'm curious why you mention two swinging arms? a trailer hitch need to be attached to the frame or somewhere, the usual methed is to make a tube frame which goes from the frame - around the back mudguard - back to the frame on the other side. The Ball hitch is then mounted on the rearmost part of the frame. (if you understand that
PM me your number and I'll call you to explain.
M

Thankyou for the invite to contact you directly however submitting this posting may encourage more knowledgeable individuals into the topic.

You are correct, and, my description was at fault. 
I have had a long chat with F2 Motorcycles Ltd and they explained what problems I was likely to encounter, below is from their website.   F2 Motorcycles told me that all things are possible however it comes at a price and the cheapest way is to find a twin shock bike.   I would be prepared to forget riding a motorcycle other than to transport  2 model aircraft on a 46ml round trip, in fine weather along mostly country roads.   I can put together a lightweight trailer and the journey can be done at low speed, therefore a cheap and cheerful  throwaway moped would do, however the 125cc mimimum to tow a trailer is the problem. 

Will it fit your bike ? Each trailer comes with a towing hitch which is designed to fit twin shock frames. The front mont goes to the shock absorber top mount and then an adjustable hanger need to fit to a strong frame point near the back of the seat. This hanger may fit straight on your bike with no alterations or you may need to make a longer/shorter one simply by taking a piece of 6 mm steel the correct length and drilling a hole in each end.

My solution to transporting models on my Triumph Bonneville (back in @ 1975) was to buy a "Del Boy" Reliant Supervan to transport my models (no car licence then) which worked fine between bouts of escaping steam until it fell over and shattered into small pieces.

I then transferred the running gear to a saloon version shell which worked splendidly between bouts of escaping steam until it fell over and shattered into even smaller pieces - unfortunately, in the process, I managed to squash my virtually indestructable Lumpers trainer...

I then bought a Bond Bug which which worked superbly between bouts of escaping steam, surviving falling over onto it's roof just after I left the model shop when it's brakes failed, until I took my car test and graduated to a 4th wheel which reduced the frequency of "interesting" events a little!

However you go about it though, do be aware of the drag of a wayward box or wing - especially on a lightweight bike it could have nasty consequences if things aren't very secure!

Edited By Martin Harris on 07/04/2010 13:56:51

Thanks for the posts lads.
The major problem I have is a by-product of my job!
I work month on month off at sea. I have no off road parking and can't justify having a car sitting around doing nothing except using up insurance and road tax for six month! Not to mention the deteriation due to the salt air here on Anglesey, oh and the vandalism! Soooooooo ...... I ride my 1100cc bike.
Unfotunately Phil, I live in an end of terrace with only a narrow footpath as access to the back so a third wheel is a no-go aswell

This is the state of play at the moment:
I have sourced a 8 x4 sheet of 5mm foamex which is stronger than correx for £35, I intend to make a box with the inside of the corners re-enforced with beading which I will glue and screw.
The model will slide in from one end over which I will have an end cap held on with velcro strips.
If anyone can see any pitfalls please shout out.