Sideways or Inverted?

Ross Clarkson

Hi all,

I will be fitting a SC61A MkII Series engine in my VMAR Bulldog which i am currently putting together.
This will be the first time i have installed an engine in an aeroplane so i was just wondering whether anybody has some general tips so i hopefully get it right first time?

What would be best, sideways or inverted or does it not make much diffeence? Also, i am sure my engine with silencer on may not fit as the silencer is too long. If so, how would i overcome this?

Cheers,

Advert

not having installed an inverted set up I can't really comment on that, but I have a sideways mounted OS-61FX in a groovy 50 3A and it works perfectly, except I had lateral balance issues, nothing a bit of lead on the left wingtip didn't fix though.
    Inverted would have been neater in my plane, but I went the "safer" route of a sideways mount after a few people mentioned inverted might be an issue with relative carb to fuel tank height and flooding etc so I just went with what I knew wouldn't be a problem for my particular plane design.  

Edited By Paul Gauci on 28/04/2010 01:20:27

2 stroke Stephen. I dont think a 4 stroke would have had the same problem as thier silencers are much smaller aren't they?

Cheers i12fly, i have contacted Justengines and they will be getting me a BCM Pitts muffler which looks awesome.
I don't really want the the big traditional silencer sticking way out underneath.

• 2 weeks later...
Sideways or inverted is not a problem. Whatever fits and is consistent with getting a match between tank fuel level and needle valve level. In my experience (30 yrs) needle valve level needs to be about two thirds up from bottom of tank level. Do be aware that inverted engines, if flooded, can lock up and a powerful starter might bend the con rod. The 45 degree mounting which puts the silencer along the bottom centre line is a good way to go but still prone to flooding lock up.