Dad's final creation flies

I posted on here a while back about dad's last creation which I acquired half-finished when he died, a Bristol Bombay of about 6 ft span with twin electric power in which he had installed speed 700s and in line gearboxes, which I junked and replaced with low kV brushless inrunners so I could use scale diameter props.
Well the thing is far from finished, but in a flyable state, so today I decided to take it and the York to the strip and see if I could make a second (the York is the first and was until today the only) of dad's designs take to the air.
The strip hadn't been mown for a while-the dandelions were pretty high!-but I reckoned useable, so tried the York first-a long takeoff run due to dandelion-mowing activities on the way, but otherwise fine, and good to see the fat old beast back in the air, greased her back on after 7 minutes...it was now or never.
Well, what an anti-climax! Apart from nosing over because of the long grass on the first attempt, full up-elevator checked that and bags of power from the brushless motors lifted the Bombay from the strip without any dramas and she flew away like a trainer, pretty much in trim and really the only issue being a lack of down thrust which I'll dial out on the Tx mixes. After 5 minutes I plonked it down (it's a real floater) and have to admit punching the air in delight and calling into the blue sky to ask my father if he'd liked that....

• 2 weeks later...
Got a couple more flights out of it now-it's proving to be a litle more 'interesting' than at first thought-as usual! So some experimentation needed with c/g, control throws, and Tx mixes, but overall I'm very pleased with it, I've just got to get the trim sorted so it can be slowed a little better for landing and it will be fine.
Meanwhile I'm finishing the u/c and need to get some sort of paint finish on it!
Hoping it might make it to Middle Wallop this year if any of you guys are going to be there.

Posted by Big Phil on 15/06/2010 20:48:13:
 Any pictures Yorkman
                           B.P 

Edited By Big Phil on 15/06/2010 20:48:32

Hi Phil-there are some pics of it in my album-don't know how to add pictures to a thread, sorry!

• 2 weeks later...