Mick Reeves 63" sport Spit

'Widget'

Hi,
               Requesting all information regarding MR 63" sport scale Spitfire please as I have just purchased an unfinished airframe and parts including the none fitted retracts (mechanical).

Cheers,
                                       Martin

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Widget.

I have one of these that I have flown often over the last 5-6 years. It is a brilliant model and flys realy well. I fitted mine with mechanical retracts and powered it with an OS 70 FS which gives it more than enough power. it is getting quite tatty now as i twend to fly it if the conditions are poor. If they still made the kit then I would get another one without any hesitation. When fitting the retracts slant them well forward or you will have it nosing over all the time and if poss build in quite a lot of right side thrust as it has a tendancy to swing left on take off
If I can help in any other way let me know.

Regards,

Glenn.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Hi Widget.

I have set mine up with about 1/2" movement on all surfaces except the rudder, where I have as much as the elevator will allow. I tend to use a lower setting and expo on the elevator when landing so that it does not balloon up to much. Mine does run off to the left on full power take offs, so build in as much right thrust as you can, I could do with more but that would then make the engine offset from the cowl that I made. It does tend to nose over on take off so I used 3" wheels and tried to get the retracts to lean forward so that the wheels are as near to the leading edge as poss. The size is not too scale but who cares when they are up.

Have a good Christmas,

Glenn

Hi Glen & Martin,
                               I have recently contacted MR but no reply as yet. I will set mine up as yours Martin unless MR states otherwise, regarding the wheel size I think  3.25 " diameter is okay reference the Tony Nijhuis 62.5"  version and yes I have manages to get the wheels forward just behind the LE.
                               I have managed get a few degrees of right side thrust in so that should help. I'm really looking forward to the colour scheme application as I quite like the 'baby' Spits so a BoB scheme is planned.
                                Any idea's on how to make the early 3 outlet ejector style exhaust stacks ? I will also post a new thread regarding this subject. Many thanks to all who have replied so far and hope you all have a good Christmas.

Cheers, Widget

• 2 months later...
Hi Martin,

Glad you got the instruction sheet. I picked mine up on ebay.. it;s never been flown and needs all the electronics fitting.
I notice the Rudder and Elevator pushrods are very stiff, so I'm in the process of changing these. The canopy has gone yellow over time and I'm going to fit a SC 91 FS.

I rang Mick and ordered a replacment canopy, which I now have.

Be good to chat with you and your model and maybe exchange comments and tips. What engine will you put in your Martin..???

Best wishes,
Mart.

Hi Martin,
I bought mine on Ebay too, it came with MR retracts but needed completing and the aileron torque rods were binding badly but free now. I added extra 1/16 sheet to the upper rear decking and sanded to give a more rounded fuselage shape. Its fitted with CF flaps and an on board glo system, the engine is an SC70FS and I had to fit a new engine b/head approx; 20mm rearwards to accommodate the longer engine as the original position suited a 60 two stroke engine.
I bought a new canopy for mine, the new one is a much better shape than the old one fitted on my model also I have purchased a pair of ABS three pipe exhaust stacks from Vortex Vacforms. I intend to finish the Spitfire as a MK2a in Battle of Britain colours and markings.
I will send some pics when finished. ( I will add some pics of it as received, have a look in my photos)

Regards,
Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for that info about your model.

Do you have an email address or mobile I could contact you on .. Would be good be able to ask you some questions about this model.

I'm not sure what retracts mine has,but the model is all painted and has the split colours on the lower wing surface. Duck Egg and Black.. I was hoping not to have to adjust the firewall to suit the engine, and my reason for a 91FS was due to the weight, the wings do seem very heavy compared to model models, maybe I will get away with a 70 FS like you?..

Best wishes,

Martin..

Hi Martin.

I have posted a pic of my Spit in its glory, not quite so good now as it needs a complete overhall but I enjoy flying it too much to take it off line. It is powered by an OS 70 FS which is plenty unless you want to race others. I do not remember moving the firewall but did make my own cowl from block balsa, that is probably why it looks a bit longer than scale.
If you are going to move the engine back then think about the effect this will have on the C of G, make the back end as light as poss otherwise you will suffer by having to add nose weight. I was able to balance mine by putting the batteries as far forward as they would go so avoided extra weight..

Hi Glen & Martin,
Looks good Glen, glad to hear the 70 fs is powerfull enough, out of interest do you know the finished weight of yours ? I've nearly finished covering the fuz , still lots to do though, make the radiator, air intake and oil cooler, got some blue foam for some parts, fit all the blisters & fit flap servos etc; and then the paint job but I will wait for the weather to warm up before I spray it.
I have kept an eye on the C of G throughout, making a new tailplane/elevator & fin/rudder assy; from lighter balsa, and because the originals were damaged and I have located the Rx and retract batteries just behind the 14oz tank ( I don't want to run out of fuel during a sortie)
Your Spitfire sounds interesting Martin, did you purchase it recently, I did keep an eye on one on ebay in your area ? I will be glad to chat and exchange pics of our Spits. My e-mail address is...

Regards, Martin S

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/03/2011 01:06:08

Hi Glen,
Thanks for the info, I think Mine will be a bit heavier than yours, I just hope the Mick Reeves retracts are up to it ! When it's finished I will add more photos to 'my photos' on this site. Someone has just offered me a Great Planes Mustang kit, I'm very tempted as I have an OS52 fs without a home, oh dear !!

Cheers

Hi Martin and Glen.

Thanks for all the info in the posts and your email address Martin...I will contact you shorlty.
Im going to take some photos of the Spit and post them.

Im interested to see you both have flaps on you models, mine does not have flaps.
Good luck with the Mustang Martin.

Hi Martin,
With the model in a normal flying attitude the retract servo should be fitted upside down into the wing normally via an underside opening, the control rods will run from the servo to the u/c units and a cover fitted to hide them. Has the wing any cut outs to accept the wheels and legs, if not you will need to remove the required amount of foam from the underside of the wing to suit your wheels etc:

Lets try my mobile number, send me a text and I will reply with my e-mail address.

Cheers, Martin

MARTIN - no phone numbers on the open forum please - use the PM system.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 21/03/2011 19:27:34

Hi Guys.

I'm getting a bit confused here, the retract servo that I have fitted goes in on the top surface of the wing and the correct way up. This model was not designed for retracts so there are no cut outs or bearers for the undercart. I fitted my own hardwood bearers after getting the geometry correct to make sure they are as far forward when down as poss. I will post a pic of my retract servo and wheel cut outs that I made if you will excuse the fact that this model is about seven years old and has had a few severe landings in its time.

Regards,

Glenn