Mick Reeves 63" sport Spit

'Widget'

Thanks Tim.

Hi Glen, Your right of course, the servo can be fitted to suit a particular preference and my ME109 has the retract servo mounted from the top of the wing with the output disc up. I should have added to the previous message to Martin that the MR instructions show fitting from the under side etc; and not used the word 'should' in that text.
Look forward to seeing the pic Glen, always good to see how others do it.

Cheers, Martin

Hi Martin,

These are the pics I promised hope they are of some use. My kit was very old when I got it and had no instructions at all. I think I found an article on fitting retracts into foam wings and followed those. I don't think the photo shows how much they are angled forward when in the landing position,even after I had built tthem I put some more packing under the reward edge of the retract to make it slope forward more. I lined the inside of the wheel cut outs with balsa and then sanded them down flush with the wing.

Regards,

Glenn

Hi Martin,

After cleaning the model off for a weigh in I could not resist giving it a fly today. All went well and it reminded me just how good this model flys, it will do some very unscale like manouvers like knife edge and flick rolls. Take offs are always a challenge it needs in bit off up to keep the tail down but then wants to get airborne before it has reached flying speed so does take some care. I have taken the tail wheel off mine to try to reduce the tendancy to nose over.

Regards,

Glenn.

Hi Glen, Cracking day for a fly here too, shame I had to work. Thanks for the take off tips, must finish sooner than later.
Hi Martin, Your Spit looks good too, it looks like someone has has taken a lot of trouble getting the nose section right and the paint finish looks good.

Cheers

i made a post earlier in this build, about the torque rods being wibbly wobbly, can i ask, if you hold the servo can you move the ailerons up and down by hand? or are they stiff, the one i had eons ago, had horrid flutter, about the retracts, i hope you guys are not using your flight battery to power the retracts? they need there own power source

Edited By Alan C on 28/03/2011 21:57:27

Hi Alan,
My torque rods were binding a bit but free enough now. When turning the servo disc, there is no slop in the movement or twisting of the torque rod to allow any flutter on mine, based on my other aircraft it should be fine.
Regarding using a separate battery for the retracts I always do, until I fit the new servo-less retract units that are coming out now.

Cheers

Hi Alan.

When I built mine I put a servo in each wing so there is no aileron slop. I have about 1/2"
movement in the aileron, 3/8 up and down on the rudder and as much as I can get on the rudder.
Where have you seen the servo -less retractsthey sound interesting. I always use a seperate battery for retracts as well.

Regards,

Glenn

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I managed to get the Spitfire ready for it's Maiden last Thursday, and took it up for a short flight.

From memory the seller on Ebay had not flowm the model, and there was quite a bit of work required to get it in flying order.

I did ring Mick and he supplied the COG of 4.5" from the leading edge.

The flight went ok, but it did pitch up quite badly just after take off, but this seemed to stop as the speed built up, very little trim was required.

My model does not have flaps, and does seem to like being flown fast which makes the landing a bit of a challange.

I did bend one of the retracts on landing, so I have a litle repair work to do. I phoned Martin Smith on the way home and he mentioned the COG comes in at 4 to 5 inches .. I would be interested in others who have this model to see if the COG varies in any way???

• 11 months later...

Hope I'm not too late for this posting on the Mick Reeves 63" Spitfire!

I was given this kit through a friend from someones attic. Unfortunately there were no plans or instructions in the box, so I can't tell if all the bits are there.

I was hoping you guys would help me in sourcing a replacement set so I can get building (after I've finished tthe Magnatilla).

I've recently emailed Mick Reeves but so far no reply, but to be fair, it's a bit early.

Don't know how old the box is, but it's a bit battered. Also wondered if my OS FX-62V will be man enough for it?

Regards

Hi Jim.

You are lucky to have got hold of one of these kits, I have been looking out for another one for some time. Although not scale it makes up for it by being a really easy model to fly. I am just completing a winter overhaul of mine,right back to a complete refit and respray. I do not have a plan or instruction but can help in any other way. I put servos in each wing and fitted mechanical retracts to mine. One thing I would recommend when building is to make sure you build in right thrust to the firewall as it has a tendency to run to the left quite severely on take off. I have fitted an OS 70 FS so you should be OK with your engine, build the back end light as poss so you do not need to add weight to get the balance correct.

Regards,

Glenn

Hi Jim, I have the build diagrams & instructions for your Spitfire and MR retracts. Nice to hear your input Glen as you helped me no end with my build and set up. I can scan the instructions and send them via email if you like Jim ?

Cheers,

Martin (Widget)

Hi guys!

Thanks for your quick response and offer of support.

Martin: I would really appreciate a copy of the instructions so I can check out the kit for missing parts. I'll try and figure a way to send you my email address.... thanks a lot!

Glen :Thanks for your offer of advice, I'll need it I'm sure.

Thanks again guys.

• 2 years later...

Hi Martin

I have just picked one of these us and if you still have the instructions could you copy the section on the wings by pdf or just a jpg.

Please PM me for an email address

Thanks

Martin

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 09/07/2014 16:44:20

Hi pilot-M,

I'm not sure you'll get a reply on this thread from Martin as his last post here was over 3 years ago. Howerer, if you send him a PM he will get an email notification which he may pick up.

In the absence of a response here, someone else on the forum may be in a position to help, hopefully....

I've edited out your email address to prevent the bots picking it up.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!smile

Pete

hurricane2.jpg

Hello Martin.

Well done to find one of these kits, I have been looking for another one for years. I do not have my instructions but if I can help in any way let me know. Build the back end as light as you can to avoid having to add lead and weight to get the balance right. I cut holes in all the flat sheet parts and then covered to fin and tailplane with tex. Mine flies really well with an OS70.

Glenn

• 1 year later...

Having lost my Spit earlier this year I have just completed the construction of another have persuaded one of club members to part with a very old kit. I am at the finishing stage and thinking a spraying it as a pr blue spit, but what colour blue is it Duck Egg or a light blue, photos I have found are not clear enough but I know somebody on this forum will know exactly.

Thanks

• 7 years later...

Hi

Today I acquired an attic find Mick Reeves 63 Spitfire in original box as new.  I haven’t  checked parts yet but instructions included. It was a RipMax marketed version RK202.  

It needs to go to a good home.  

Please get in touch if interested.  

Paul

• 10 months later...

Just sorting out a Reeves Sport scale Spit i picked up, it has been converted to electric, i think it has been flown on 5s of which i have none so this will be flown on 6s and i am down proping to a 14x7 from a 15x8 to keep the amps in check. I see mention of 1/2" control throws, i assume this is 1/2" each way, not in total?