Four Stroke query

Advert

The corrosion is due to the hygroscopic properties of the fuel (Methanol). It will happen in any engine that is rested for any length of time with fuel residue in the crankcase. The prevention is well known, at the end of each flying session remove the fuel supply with the engine hot, running at a fast idle and with the plug igniter attached. This will help to scavenge most of the remaining fuel. At home a few drops of Auto Trans oil or some other moisture dispersant oil (air tool oil, for example) flicked through to coat the insides, then hang the model nose up so that any crap will drain to the backplate where it can do little damage will see the bearings last long enough to require replacement due to wear, rather than corrosion.
Evan.

Hi Keith, after every flying session I drain the tank then start the motor again until it cuts out due to lack of fuel. After that I squirt WD40 down the carb and turn over the engine about 5 or 6 times with my thunb over the carb. As Evan says this coates the inside with water dispersing oil. It works a treat. If I am not going flying for a while I remove the plug and place oil directly in the cylinder as well as down the carb. Al

I always use 2 stroke motor mower oil - red stuff, cheap and looks /smells identical to the "proper" after run stuff that model shops sell.
Automatic transmission lube is also good, as is airtools lube.
SOME people reckon that WD40 should not be used, as it has tendency to harden out after a while, but personally I see no problem with using it, after all, it is hardly likely to be in the engine for long enough to "dry hard", and it is after a water dispelling fluid- thats where the name came from after it was developed Water Dispellant formula 40 was its design name....

Hi Keith.
Even if you run your 4S engine dry you may still suffer from corrosion. You should also note that specific to four-strokes the crankcase contains some corrosive by-products of the combustion process, not just unburnt methanol. The crank-case lubrication system (for bearings, big-end, cams etc) is fed from piston blow-by, and finally exits the crank-case via the breather vent.
There are many folks that squirt additional fresh oil into the breather to inhibit corrosion and this can be done via the silicon tubing that is normally attached to vent oil from the cowl area.

Also, using fuel with a bit of Castor oil goes a long way to preventing corrosion in four-strokes. There are many synthetic/Castor blends on the market containing 3% - 6% Castor that do the job nicely.

Enjoy your engine.

Thats good advice Bladerunner. I always used to squirt a little oil in the crankbreather nipple too, until the manufacturers decided that this venting would be better fed back into the inlet manifold, for better scavenging I preume, either that or the greenpeace lobby have been at work again. Now, because of the orientation of the engines, cowling, and the fact that the connecting tube is all within the cowl, it is nigh on impossible to access ANYWHERE to get after-run oil into. I have resorted to injecting a few squirts into the exhaust, and flipping the engine over - glow plug OFF of course guys :-) to try and suck a bit back into the insides. Must confess though I tend to use totally synthetic lubes in all my IC engines these days.

MOSTLY electric Myron, mostly,...but still love the sound of a nice 4T in my Spitfire :-)
Also still have a couple of trainer type thingies which Mrs T was learning on, and will be resuming as and when she is well enough again.
I actually still feel that a good IC airplane is more practical for beginners for several reasons, as illustrated in the thread I did over in "beginners begin here". I did stress GLO PLUG OFF when turning over the after-run oil :-)

I doubt the average model 4T engine would start and run with no glow, surely the compression is not high enough ? Crikey, most beginners have a hard enough time getting them to start and run WITH a glow attached LOL
These sort of theories abound in this and many other hobbies, but is there any real evidence of this happening? Has anyone actually ever witnessed / performed a running non glowing model 4T engine on WD40?

Timbo

I'm only repeating what I've read on a thread or in a mag  I don't believe for one minute it would run but that there could be the chance of a "kick" Try it & see !

Have a doctor standing by  'cos you're probably not used  to using a finger ,only switches & a fire extinguisher standing by   LOL Myron   only being out of of order again

Grumpy M

PS   now my lines are further apart on this M/C !!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure if this is true but I remember seeing somewhere that WD type oils should not be used in glow engines-something to do with the silicones saturating the plug & destroying the catalytic reaction of the platinum filament with the methanol. Incidentally, I have an old Enya .09 which will happily fire up without the glow being attached (Enya no3 plug/Southern Modelcraft 5%)when spun on a starter!-I found this out when drawing fuel through & it surprised me so much I had to do it a few more times to prove it! I suspect tolerances have led to a higher compression ratio than normal, coupled with the catalytic reaction mentioned earlier, giving enough heat to start. In all other aspects the engine behaves normally, in fact it's the best Enya .09 I have ever used.

YS engines specifically tell you not to use after run oil because if it is petroleum based it will destroy the silicone seals within the motor, also not to run out the remaining fuel, simply store the model with the cylinder head facing downwards (which I always do, of course???), But what I always do is to ensure that the fuel line to the carb is completely drained so that it does not become clogged with thick oil. I have not as yet had any such corrosion problems with any of my four strokes as far as I know, but plenty with OS two strokes. May be that the hotter running four strokers burn off more of the corrosive substances Don`t know. MM.

• 1 month later...

I was always told NEVER to use WD40 on engines as its so damaging to seals, gaskets and greased bearings. Hence why its banned in Commercial aaircraft servicing.

If you leave you engine for weeks un run, use a few drops of after run or cheap old 3 in 1.

If you run your engines every week, dont bother. It is good to run the engine dry, drain excess fuel and leave the model nose up to let any nasty liquids rest away from the front bearings. Lots of after run makes the engine a bugger to start.

I use cheap cooking oil (sunflower) from the supermarket and flood the engine' cavities after a day's flying. Costs nothing and does no harm to the silicon bits of my YS. If the internal spaces are flooded, all air is excluded and there can be no corrosion.

JE after-run is petroleum-based and will do for your silicon bits.