Building TN Halifax

Hello to everyone building the halifax. As you know i opted out of this one but always keep an eye on this forum.

I must say you are all doing an excellent job. As i read the various postings I have mixed feelings. I envy all you that are doing it but at the same time I am relieved i  am not doing it as i know that  i havent the skill ( hopefully its only yet)  to build such a large model to your standards .

all the best with your builds  

Jim

Advert

Hi John,

Yep very neat indeed.  I made a jig for my pillar drill to do the same operation, but yours is a much neater and simpler solution.

Welcome aboard by the way.  Im sure Mario and the others will be along soon to say hi.  Have you got any other pics or is the tail your starting point?

Craig 

Edited By Craig Carr on 17/09/2010 17:33:20

Michel,

I'm not trying to be facetious when I say, It takes a brave man to build in any
machanics (servos), but a wise man not too.

You have made a nice job mounting  the aileron servo, but the method of
"building in"  I would not recommend. That linkage is almost identical
on my Mosquito, but the servo was mounted on a removable hatch.

If any servo is going to fail, it will bound to be one which is built in. (non serviceable)

Terry

Terry,

well I know what you mean, but while thinking about this, I never had a servo failure (always used hitec MG servos or equivalent) for my 10-15 years modelling on more than 30 different airplanes. Usually if the servo should fail it will happen at the first minut of use. Well this is my experience and if something has to happen... you can always make some "surgery" to remove the servo. I tought initially  to make a solution like you said but I just it would be more work and I am bit lazy sometimes  .

Another point is that if you have an aileron servo fail on this kind of airplane wich of course would happen in flight, chances are that the entire plane will have to be rebuilt after crash (if not too damaged) anyways and the servo lock will then be the last point to wich your attention will focus. 

Michel

Hope you don't mind me joining in, But I have a couple of sets of Unitracts. If you look carefully at the area where the Piston meets the body of the retract you wil see a small brass tube, this is one of the air up air down feeds. the other connection is the white nylon nipple on the end of the piston. Tony ships a clear plastic bottle as the reservoir tank. Good for 80 - 100 psi.
The oleos are really nice, sprung but damped utilising a special grease, really nice
Cheers
Danny

Michel

They are air up air down, & have a speed control screw build into the cylinder, they do not supply air containers, a plastic bottle used for fizzy drinks can be used as long as it has PET stamped on it, they supply a bottle top for this purpose (the white top in the photo), I haven’t decided what to use yet as an aluminium air tank is not to expensive but will be slightly heavier.

Hi John
Welcome aboard
As more guys enter in this thread more are the chances to all to achieve our goal.
And if someone of us take a new building idea there always the chance that the idea is better
than our own and in a simple way we help eachother.
Using jigs like you do is always half way to do a very clean and precise work.
Now I'm building the fuselage sides that are quite a work because the balsa sheets came in badly, and I order from SLEC a fuselage jig that I need to mount.
Soon I will post some oictures of the progress.
Regards to you all
Mário
Danny we don't mind at all, we thank you for your help.

Edited By Supermario on 19/09/2010 19:48:03

Craig,
I started with the tailplane to ease myself into the winter building programme - recently finished a 1/4 scale Nieuport so taking thisslowly.
Mario,
I too thought about using a fuselage jig after seeing Andy Wood's blog so bought some wood offcuts, got the table saw out and made one - fully adjustable for future projectsand should have made this 40 years ago.
Tailplane leading edge sanding jig and fuselage jig picsbelow.

Hi guys
The building continues, not so fast as I would like because the weekends
are all for flying until the good wheather is here.
Just build the jig from SLEC and I'm not very satisfied because the
squares are a little flexible, should be more rigid, but I think the problem is the
plane is to big for this jig.

I decided to copy the plan and glue under the fuse sides for helping me to know the correct place of the parts, and then glue the ply reinforcements and the bomb doors stringers.

Following Toni N sequence  building I glues the F5 and F& formers.

And then F4 and F7

Ready for the jig working

The other formers and the nose shape appearing
N ote that I made some holes at the F1 to permit to separate the vacuum nose
and have acess to  bateries place

Now is time to place the top basa stingers and triangle bars to finish the top
of the fuse.

The building goes on
Regards
Mário

Edited By Supermario on 27/09/2010 22:37:13

Hi Andy
Look here
Bjorn make a good work with landing lights in is Lancaster
and I think they are of the same type of the Halifax
Regards
Mário
About put a YouTube video, you open at the same time this thread and the You tube page
Visualize the thread and click the  YouTube Icon when you post a reply
Open the You Tube page and then copy the embebed code from the video, change to thread  and paste in the yellow window up. That way must function.

Hi Alan

I have had just the same problem, but I think I might have got my head round it now, I just need to add some bits to the inner nacelle & then get some pictures uploaded that should make it clear, the plans are not too clear & i think they could do with a 3D sketch as with the wing joint, hopefully a photo will do just that, I should be able to upload it later tonight.

Andy

Hi Alan
I was reading your post when Andy came in help, but I tell that
I haven't yet start the nacelles but when I was separating the formers
I realise that building it was a kind of dificult.
Then, after some hours thinking I became to conclusion that the
better way is to build a jig just for that.
If you want I can post a draw with the jig I intend to make to build the nacelles
Regards
Mário