teach us how

Antony Wright

theres a thought - how about RCM&E organising some workshops to teach us newbees how to build a plane from a plan?

Yes I know its impractical - but wouldnt that be fun? Gathering a few folk together in one place and showing us how to transfer the components from the plan to the wood and how to cut them out accurately? Maybe it could become a magazine article? Who knows you may even enjoy teaching us.

Advert

Anthony, courtesy of Al' Whittaker we've just started a series in the magazine with the intention of doing just that. Grab the March issue when it appears and you'll be able to follow it right from the start. Alex will be building a simple sportster that he's designed with the beginner in mind. The plan will be given away within the next issue or three (probably May).

As for the RCM&E workshop idea? Not a bad one. It'd certainly be fun but I really can't see it happening just yet. We're all a little busy at the moment with other projects… Oh, and the mag’ of course!

• 1 month later...
It must be very difficult for magazines to reach its audience, on the one hand there are balsa bashers with decades of experience, and on the other there is a constant flow of newcomers all wanting the same basic set of answers. I congratulate the magazines because in general they do manage a happy medium. How about a supplement updated and published yearly, like a 13th magazine that contains all the favorite topics, that newbies, or those of us returning could pick up for a heads up?

Hi Bryan,
know what you mean, why dont you join a few of us on the Newbies Thread, we are sharing our ideas as newcomers as well as other enthusiasts coming back to the hobby after a break. Everyone is great and very friendly. Anthony is up and away already and helping us all with advice of his flights, really good reading. Hope to see you there. Click beginners topic, then you will see the newbies thread, it's getting popular.
All the best
Clarky

• 4 weeks later...
I have been reading Alex Whittakers series with great interest, I find them very good & full of useful tips. I do have one problem though, he keeps refering to SLEC tools & jigs. I have searched several online shops & can't find any reference to them. Can anyone help??

Here is the SLEC balsa stripper, I think there has been a bit of a problem with the fuselage jig, nobody makes the quality one referred to in Alex's articles any longer, shame because I wanted one of those.
http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk/detail.php?JPNO=5509365&activepage=2&Navmain=Accessories&subcatname=SLEC
If you find a good fus jig let us all know, including Alex LOL

You usually see SLEC at the shows, they're the tent with all the loose fittings and they furnish you with a shopping basket on your way in.

Great opportunity to stock up on bits and bobs / come in handy stock.

Great range of balsa too, if anyone remembers the stuff.

As to balsa strippers, I had a SLEC one for years and it was very good, but quite large, you have to stick the channel to a piece of wood. I use one of these now and it is just as every bit as good as the SLEC one, and fits in my tool box.

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=2108

Andy