Flight Boxes

New to this game as I am, I don't seem to have any luck with flight boxes. Too small, too few drawers etc. I did toy with idea of building my own until I saw a very impressive Sig box last week. Problem is; I cannot seem to find a supplier. Any of you good poeple have any ideas??
Thanks.

Advert

I got the Sig Mini-Boss. I thought it was the bee's knees, until I had seen what some of the guys at the club had built. They were not complex, they were just very practical andd made field operations easier. If you can be bothered keep your eyes open and don't be in too much of a hurry (like I was), and you could finish up with a box that suits your way of working better than the commercial offerings.

Having bought the Sig one, I am still going to build my own as I have seen a far better solution.

There were plans for a flight box with 2 drawers,a fuel container compartment,a starter compartment and somewhere to place your Tx and a 12v battery in `R/C Model Flying-A Beginners Guide` by Bill Burkinshaw published in RCME many years ago.
I am pretty sure I still have the plans somewhere if you are interested.

I hate to say this here but you might like to see my flight box. It is based on the Sig box but better engineered.

It is featured in Miller's Tales in the current Aviation Modeller International (AMI)

And no, I am not putting a few hundred words of text and several phtots here

The Sig box is very good but you need to add lots of strips of wood in the corners. Butt gluing 1/8" ply together is not the best idea and the parts fall ti pieces after a time.

PS If you lived anywhere near the Suffolk Essex border you could have my old Sig box free of charge for renovation.

Peter

Here is my sheer luxury. An electric powered fishing trolley to lug all my gear across the field to the flying site

Oh, and that is my new flight box

Edited By Peter Miller on 13/06/2010 08:02:29

Edited By Peter Miller on 13/06/2010 08:02:57

Peter
Please accept my humble apologies  (as if it was !). Just that it looked "Oriental"
Is it one of your plans 'cos I've all the plans going back many years & don't remember it & they are all filed away inconveniently !
Bet it's powered by an SC 32 FS though at a 45 degree angle if it is indeed one of your excellent plans . If so could you tell me the date of the mag .
PS  Wished I could find a S/H SC 32 FS on the S/H for sale columns .Never seen one ever . Sorry -Slightly off thread .
I have acquired a folding golf trolley (back on track ) BUT it won't fit in my van without dismantling what ever I built to put on it .If anyone wants it in the NE Newcastle area ,You can have it for nothing if you come and pick it up .

Peter, are you staying for a month?   Leccy power trolly sounds attractive though.

I used to cart too much to the field, now I only take from the car items I need. The rest stay in the car and what I take in the car for "back-up" depends on the venue, how far away it is, plus how long I shall be away from the workshop.

My last "trolly" was my Grandaughters' old, folding, dolls pram frame, fitted with lift off flight box.

I am debating the idea of getting some drills or 12 volt motors and electronicorizing my flight box up or maybe even some of those dirt cheap chinese brushless motors! and when I'm finished with them, I can put them in a plane!

Just need a place to put the fold up gazebo, gas barbecue and a set of picnic chairs!!! 

Myron, August 2007 RCM&E. Vortex Vac form took 18 canopies to the Nats  and sold out in two days, then  they were sending out a dozen a week for weeks.
I love this one, I can fly knife edge circuits with ease.

Power is SC 32 TWO stroke. Wtach Ebay, they do turn up but make sure it is the rear needle version with the square head.

Flytilbroke:

I get tired very easily and dragging the gear is too much. I have my flight box, average size and weight. Chair, Camera bag (Heavy) Tx Case, tarpaulin in case of rain. Drink, (Tea in winter, soft in Summer)

The cars are well over 200 yards away.

Posted by Peter Miller on 13/06/2010 18:47:05:
Snip

Flytilbroke:

I get tired very easily and dragging the gear is too much. I have my flight box, average size and weight. Chair, Camera bag (Heavy) Tx Case, tarpaulin in case of rain. Drink, (Tea in winter, soft in Summer)

The cars are well over 200 yards away.

That is very good reason for your outfit Peter.

-------------------------------------
I wonder if Spice Cat has decided what is suitable yet?

Whatever it will be, at present I am restricted by the size of the car, Ford Focus, and the size of aircraft; 8' wingspan Piper Cub. My normal kit comprises of aircraft, starting box, tool box, Tx case, buddy box and something to drink. (Hopefully I can offload the Focus for a Skoda Octavia estate at some point. The days of driving a golf ball futher than a Skoda have gone)
That said, at the field, I think a porter would be best. One who can also cook, clean and do laundry. Hmmmmmm, who could that be???