What is your favourite foamy flyer?

Tony Read 2

My first successful flyer was a foam job, the V tail trainer from flying wings. It got me hooked.

My first low winger, and one I still like to fly was the PZ Trojan, a great flying machine with no vices.

The one I have flown the most is probably the EF Sea Fury. Its easy to fly and does exactly what I want it to do. Must be getting on for 200 flights now and still going strong. I love it!

Advert

Yes, the PZ Corsair is a fine flyer but two things stop it being the top of my list. One is that I find it more difficult to hand launch than the Trojan. If I grip it behind the wing I find that I crush the foam over time. The other is that I find it harder to see against a tree line or dark sky.

Good points Tony if the Corsair has any faults you nailed them.

Mines got a thumb mark in the fuz from the hand launches and after switching from the Trojan which had great vis the Corsair did scare me a couple of times as I couldn't tell which way it was going.

Flown it so often now though that it doesn't seem to happen anymore. I think the EF Sea Fury would rank higher for me if I hadn't re-kitted it on the second flight, my fault not the models but it does tend to make me pack the Corsair on gusty days when I have a crosswind at the strip instead of the Fury. It was only a minor accident that the Z-Foam Corsair would have survived but for the EPS Sea Fury it meant a carrier bag and several hours with the emergency adhesives!

GWS forever.....i have my 3rd corsair...(£30.00) the glider version......keep swapping over the gear and there you go............a good little hack...that fly's well and is really good value for the dosh.............

ken anderson....ne....1.

Edited By ken anderson. on 24/06/2010 09:16:16

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 24/06/2010 16:53:12:
In no particular order ......

Graupner Terry - smooth, fast and a real fly anywhere model
Pzone P-51 - just perfect on a calm early summer morning in the park
Art Tech Alpha Jet - smooth, fast and sounds absolutely sensational (you've just got to hear it)
Pzone Habu - a bit of a blast

I take it then that we WILL hear it over the weeeknd? 

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 24/06/2010 18:14:33

Alfa F86Sabre - the one now very well used model that goes to every fly-in
FlyFly BAe Hawk, when its replacement gets finished 
Im rather liking my little E scale P47
Just for Andy E - my 46" Wildthing closely followed by the Slipstream wing, and Canterbury sailplanes Falcon.

All the Multiplex foam models are superb quality and fly extremely well, but they are getting a bit expensive these days.

GWS are not quite up to the same quality but still fly very well and are fantastic value for money.

The one I fly most is a MPX Mini-Mag (full house brushless) but I also love the GWS Formosa and the MPX Gemini.

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 24/06/2010 18:14:05:
Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 24/06/2010 16:53:12:
In no particular order ......

Graupner Terry - smooth, fast and a real fly anywhere model
Pzone P-51 - just perfect on a calm early summer morning in the park
Art Tech Alpha Jet - smooth, fast and sounds absolutely sensational (you've just got to hear it)
Pzone Habu - a bit of a blast

I take it then that we WILL hear it over the weeeknd? 

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 24/06/2010 18:14:33

You will indeed

My all time favourite (and I've had quite a few foamies!)  has to be  the Multiplex Funjet , although I've just flown my ST Model Blaze for the first time and I'm very, very impressed with it, especially as I managed to pick it up at the recent Weston show for less than £100! 

Well at the moment I am flying an Art Tech Diamond 2500 which goes up like a homesick angel and gets at least 3 flights from the 2500mAh battery. My first foamy was the Art Tech Christian Eagle which threw a prop blade the other day and shook itself to bits. Waiting to repair the damage and it will take to the skies once again.

Steve