How to remove set screws?

Tim Kearsley

Advert

Eric, you are a genius!!  After failing to achieve anything with a soldering iron (too low a wattage I think), I used Eric's method this morning.  Result!!  I now have all mangled screws removed and can clean up the threads a bit in readiness for new grub screws courtesy of ModelFixings.

Thanks again to all who helped on this and particular thanks to you Eric, for the inspiration!

I've learned from this of course, mainly to be ****** careful with the Loctite next time!!

Cheers,

Tim.

Tim,  just a thought for the future. 

Helicopter flyers use a thread-lock like this (also available from other suppliers!)  It locks nuts/bolts against vibrating loose, but doesn't usually prove too difficult to undo when the need arises.  Might be better to use that or something similar rather than Loctite - though I appreciate there are different types/strengths of Loctite available.

No, you're absolutely right Steve and I acknowledge completely that I got myself into that mess by carelessness.  The trouble is, when you're down in the 1/16 inch or 1.5 mm Allen key area the differences are very small, but highly significant - as I found out!!  The one "benefit" of getting into a mess like I did is that it teaches you a lesson for the future!

Cheers,

Tim.

One further tip, Tim. Very little threadlock is needed - only enough to fill the threads of the screw. Once I've applied the threadlock there is often a blob on the end of the screw. I touch this against a tissue to draw it off and that just leaves the liquid in the threads. As John says, use the blue coloured threadlock, never the red............... unless you never want to unscrew it again! 

Pete

Yes, good one Steve - a bit like there are no "problems", only "challenges"!

I meant to say by the way, that I kept saying "Loctite" in my posts - it wasn't, it was the Zap blue product linked to in John Privett's post further up the page.  My error was in using too much - point noted, Pete B!!

Tim.