Advice Please

Good evening to one and all. Right first things first, Im just starting in this fabulos past time and would like some help. I used to race rc buggys and always used Futaba 3PK 2.4 never had a problem with it and couldnt fault it in any way. I would like to by the best radio set i can so as i progress i dont have to change. In the future i would like to get up to flying 85" P47 and the likes, i cant wait to start building.... I would like your appions on what would be best for me to purchase? i dont have a budget and i am open to all sagestions and appions thank you all for your thoughts and time. P.S im sorry if you all have had this question a 1000 times...

Advert

hello from me arron...i'm going to be your first reply and tell you to buy a 'middle of the road' radio set...not the most expensive and not the most cheapest......model planes are a lot different to car's and there is the outside chance you may not like the hobby after all and your dosh will have been wasted.....i would start off with a trainer....i.c. one and if and when you can take off and land it on your own----then move on to the next step of the ladder......as time go's on - you may eventually find that the radio you purchased first off is holding you back(i doubt it)...most change because the latest set's have them convinced that they are more 'blingy'.......the 85" P47...will be in a few year's time....enjoy the wonderfull journey there...and keep us all in the picture - how you are getting on.....you are at the right place for helpfull info etc......

ken anderson....ne 1......

...time i was typing my reply-------young grigg'so has pipped me to the 'post'

Edited By ken anderson. on 14/07/2010 20:37:23

Thanks guys your views are very much appreciated, Mr Griggs that is the radio i was looking at but wanted to see if it popped up. A great it did. Mr Anderson your words are full of wisdom and again im gratful im in no rush and i would like to learn the right way right from the start i have my first training session this sunday and i cant wait i cant wait for this great journey to start. Is there any trainers you can recomend to me i would like to no what kits are good and the not so good. would it be wise to get one with airilons to start with so i dont have to change again once i start getting the hang of things thanks for your time..

I'd check with your local club and see what radios they are using then you'll be able to buddy with them for training, this is the best way to learn. But basically all the mainstream radios are fine, but the low end sets ( 6 and 7 channel) are somewhat restricted in the mixing department (Multiplex Cockpit Sx excepted) so an 8 channel or above would be best if you are keen on flying large scale models. But you might be better starting on a less expensive set as you'll need at least 3 planes (trainer, low wing aerobatic and some other smaller low wing scale) under your belt before you attempt anything like an 85" P47 and a entry level 6 channel set would easily take you through these and let you decide what features you'd really like.

If you buy a Futaba complete set you get the switch harness, charger and Rx nicad ( NImh actually ) so its better.  Spektrum charges extra for a charger.

Better to buy a basic 6EX 2.4 set and if it ever gets unreliable buy a new one.  People with expensive transmitters tend to persevere with them after they should have been scrapped as unreliable.  Safety is everything and electronic items do deteriorate with age.

arron-the choice is yours-how you buy-what you want......you can get the tx on it's own......or the tx and rx on their own...or the full set...tx/rx and servo's,batt's.......i would think with you starting out from square 1...that the full option will be the best....you mention the 8fg(futaba) as your choice so look around at the various retailer's for the best price.........check out galaxcy model's/steve webb etc........the list is endless...and pick the one with the price that suit's your wallet....

ken anderson...ne 1..