Moving from a learner 3 ch Supercub to to a 4ch E-Flite Mini Pulse XT

Hi Everyone, >>

I have been flying my HZ Supercub for a year now and have become quite confident with it. I am now looking towards an intermediate plane and have been advised that the Mini Pulse XT is a good move owing to its stability.>>

Has anyone tried this plane out or have any comments to make please?>>

>>

I have one more quetsion, although i have been used to flying a 3ch plane (rudder,elev,throttle) , is it possible to fly a 4ch plane as a 3ch plane (no ailerons, rudder & elev only) until I am a little used to the controls?>>

>>

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2450>>

>>

Many thanks>>

Advert

When you go to ailerons you will use the stick that was rudder for  ailerons.  The rudder will go on to the other currently unused position.  So you will then only use rudder for takeoff and aerobatics.  'Steering' will then be by aileron not rudder.
Which stick depends on the mode you use.
Bigger problem is when you go back to 3 functions when you are used to 4!  On takeoff the rudder doesnt seem to work because you forget it now on the other stick.

I don't have any experience of the Mini Pulse but it's not generally a good idea - a model designed for 3 channels will have more dihedral to make it bank and turn when applying rudder - with less dihedral it will tend to yaw but be reluctant to turn.

Just make sure the ailerons are in the same stick position that you've been using for the rudder and give it a go.  You'd be best to let your instructor trim it for you and then you should get on fine.

One last piece of advice - watch out for Timbo giving you a wigging for cutting and pasting from Word (I'd guess) which causes all those smilies!

Hi Chaps, many thanks for your comments and advice, this is just what I was looking for.
Do any of you have any suggestions for good intermidiate plane, that is stable and can be used for basic aerobatics and is of course asthetically pleasing!

TTVPaul, I stepped up from a HZ SuperCub 3ch to a Wot Trainer 4ch (I.C) 2 years ago.  Main two differences were:

1) Speed - Covers more sky quickly.
2) Handling - Very much more responsive,requiring more concentration than that which your used to with the HZ.

One good thing about the Mini Pulse is that, due to it's lighter weight, it'll fly a lot slower than the Wot, but yes, it'll definitely be a lot more responsive.  If you've got exponential on your transmitter i'd definitely dial some in before the first flight.

It's a feature present on some transmitters that means that a stick movement close to the centre will have less sensitivity.  Here's the Futaba definition:

"Exponential Rate
Offers servo travel that is not directly proportional to stick travel. Control response is milder below half-stick, but becomes increasing stronger as stick travel approaches 100%. Great for aerobatics and trouble situations."

There's a thread from another forum here:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934

Edited By Simon B on 22/07/2010 18:44:17

The other advice would be to get a competent pilot to test fly the plane for you, the Pulse series are good planes, but like all low wing planes they are neutrally stable so stay where you put them, unlike you Cub which tends to be self righting. If it's out of trim on your first flight with it, then your experience may mean that it meets Terra Firma before you've got it sorted out.

Other than that it should be a good second model, but it will be much more responsive than your Cub, but thats the whole point.