808 KeyFob Camera

I've found a UK supplier for 808's just wondering if anyone has dealt with a company on ebay called 'discountedtoyou' they state they are based in Hereford.

The ad states it is the #11 version 720p and ".mov (H.264)" which seems to indicate it is genuine, also the price is £39.99 which seems arount the right mark.

It might not be relevant here, as my keyfob camera is a 909 and cost less than a tenner but didn't have a card . The images are good but with the first card I tried there were some stops and starts during the videos as the card wasn't fast enough. A better specification card seems to have solved this but I've only managed one clip with this so far so it's not a fair comparison.

The camera is slightly different from a friend's 808 and has some chrome embellishments.It works pretty much the same apart from the function buttons being the other way round i.e. my on/off switch is his mode change from still to video.

I need more practice with Movie Maker to edit the clips and remove lengthy passages of close ups of grass and/or improve my landing technique so it takes less time to retrieve the plane and switch off,

Malcolm

Posted by avtur on 28/03/2012 19:17:03:

I've found a UK supplier for 808's just wondering if anyone has dealt with a company on ebay called 'discountedtoyou' they state they are based in Hereford.

The ad states it is the #11 version 720p and ".mov (H.264)" which seems to indicate it is genuine, also the price is £39.99 which seems arount the right mark.

if you visit www.eletoponline.365 you will find they sell and manufacture the 808#16 which is the latest improved model. the cost is £25 incl. postage as long as you are prepared to wait about 10 days go to youtube and search techmoan he reviews the 808#16.

Morning all.

I have an 808 #11 camera and I am haveing trouble finding a suitable (free) editing program.

I am using Video Pad at the moment but it will not allow me to save the finished video in .MOV configuration, only in asf or avi type files.

This appears to reduce the qulity some what compared to the original on the camera.

Any ideas please

Thanks guys

Phil

Posted by Big Phil on 29/03/2012 08:03:25:

Morning all.

I have an 808 #11 camera and I am haveing trouble finding a suitable (free) editing program.

I am using Video Pad at the moment but it will not allow me to save the finished video in .MOV configuration, only in asf or avi type files.

This appears to reduce the qulity some what compared to the original on the camera.

Any ideas please

Thanks guys

Phil

Strange BP, no not you, Video Pad, I get:

Most of the free editing programs you can find on the net will loose quality, i have tried 3 or 4 different ones and have lost quality on them all, some off the ones you can buy are better and from reviews you dont loose to much quality, movie maker is fine but you can not get full screen size, i leave mine in av1 format so i can burn to disc with no loss of quality and full screen view, if you want to convert the file you can find free converters on the net like win x dvd author, i have played around with this and found i now leave them in av1 format.

Dave

Thanks for the replies.

Ian, I get the same as that but it blocks all bar, avi,asf & wmv. It then tells meI must buy the upgrade version to have the other options.

David, I tried movie maker, but it will not detect the .MOV video.

.............I've just thought of something.......What I have been doing is copying the video from the camera and putting it in a folder, then trying to open that folder using movie maker,maybe I should take the video straight from the camera??

Worth a try maybe

Phil

Posted by Ian Jones on 29/03/2012 09:02:11:
Posted by Big Phil on 29/03/2012 08:03:25:

Morning all.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/

the above link will take you to a freeware prog that will package your mov file in a avi container no quality loss. you will then be able to view and edit in the windows movie maker. i personally use roxio videowave as it has more features.

go to this site (link below) for all things concerning 808#16 minicam its a wealth of info and updates from the manufacturer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

Posted by Big Phil on 29/03/2012 11:12:25:

Thanks for the replies.

Ian, I get the same as that but it blocks all bar, avi,asf & wmv. It then tells meI must buy the upgrade version to have the other options.

David, I tried movie maker, but it will not detect the .MOV video.

.............I've just thought of something.......What I have been doing is copying the video from the camera and putting it in a folder, then trying to open that folder using movie maker,maybe I should take the video straight from the camera??

Worth a try maybe

Phil

no you're o.k there, i always copy into another folder first then view or edit the file from there no problem. i do convert the file again though to wmv hd as i found the mp42avi repackage wasn't very fluid for movement in media player and my roxio video wave editor wont open the mp42avi repackaged file. so thats it use the mp42avi link on the 1st page of this forum to view your vid. if you want to edit it you will have convert it to something your video editor will accept.

Posted by foamidable on 29/03/2012 20:58:31:
Posted by Big Phil on 29/03/2012 11:12:25:

Thanks for the replies.

SNIP

AVI, that's what you want isn't it BP?

Your putting in MOV files but AVI output should maintain quality and upload to YouTube without any problems.

The Video Pad version I'm using is 2.20 unlicensed basic free version and I have used it make AVIs and upload them to YouTube so if that's not what you want to I'm scuppered on what to else to suggest. disgust

#16 is the camera I have - seems okay.

Edited By Ian Jones on 29/03/2012 21:55:29

Evening all,

I bought one of the #11 key fob and I've been really impressed with the video clarity, even the missus seemed impressed...............

The only the concern I've got and this came about literally 5 mins ago is that I picked it up off the dining room table and it was really warm to touch, not hot but noticeably warm. It hadn't been in the sun so I can only assume that the heat came from within. If it had been accidently left switched on would this account for it?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ian

In use it does get warm.

The problem is that as a "spy" cam it has no indication when it is "on" so you must make sure it is turned off.

Press and hold the on/off button and the LED should illuminate brightly. Press again the LED goes out and its 'off'.

They are supposed to have a LVC to save the LiPo but I wouldnt rely on it.

They also get pretty warm on charge and again they are supposed to auto stop when the battery is full full but none of mine do and I beleive it was over charging that greatly reduced the battery capacity of my first one.

Hi,

these cameras usually turn off automatically after 30 seconds or so (unless your are capturing video) so you can't accidentally leave them on. The only usual time for them to warm up is after charging, in my experience. I recently bought a handy gadget off ebay - it looks just like a normal 3 pin mains plug, but has a usb socket that provides 5v for any widget that needs charging this way. All of £1 and great for charging these cameras - just take the normal precautions that you might with any Lipo charging and don't leave it more than 60 mins. If yours does seem to warm up for no apparent reason - well, I'd treat it with caution myself!

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 03/04/2012 19:31:44:

In use it does get warm.

The problem is that as a "spy" cam it has no indication when it is "on" so you must make sure it is turned off.

Press and hold the on/off button and the LED should illuminate brightly. Press again the LED goes out and its 'off'.

They are supposed to have a LVC to save the LiPo but I wouldnt rely on it.

They also get pretty warm on charge and again they are supposed to auto stop when the battery is full full but none of mine do and I beleive it was over charging that greatly reduced the battery capacity of my first one.

the 808#16 does have an indicating red light on, yellow for standby video and a timeout max of 2 mins in the config file. if no recording takes place within 2 mins it should switch off. the config file also has enable flashing yellow when recording, so you should be able to see if you left it on.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

this site has all you could possibly want to know about the 808#16 minicam, it also has links and downloads for editing, file conversion a gui easy camera config prog and firmware updates and oodles more. enjoysmiley

The bottom link will take you to a simple avi trimmer but first you need to run the mov file thru a conversion prog called mp4cam2avi http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/ , very fast with no quality loss. then you can edit in avi trimmer, you can load multiple files in one go then cut out as many pieces as you like. then when you save it, it will be saved as one continuous file. its a simple editor with no transitions or frills but effective none the less.teeth 2

avi trimmer

http://www.solveigmm.com/en/products/avi-trimmer-mkv/

use vdub mpeg2 to edit my files and media player classic for playback if im not editing.

Discountsforyou, i have brought 2 cameras from them about 6 pds each, there ok in good light but one thing i did notive is the earlier no3 cam had a sun file name and these from discountsforyou had ecam file name and there sensor was half the size so if you can strech your money a bit more go for the no11 cam that is true hd or the no16 its a upgraded version of the no11 also check out techmoan for reviews hes got lots to say about these 808 cams

• 3 months later...

A couple of weeks ago, after moving some pictures from my camera to my PC, I forgot to unplug the camera after switching off the PC. The result was that the camera was left on charge overnight and the LED indicator was still blinking the following morning. Since then the steady light which used to indicate when the battery is full now just continues blinking so i have no idea of the state of the battery..

The camera still works but last time I used it I ended up with a clip which I couldn't transfer to the PC. Eventually I managed to play it directly from the camera. The duration was listed as zero and the title on the screen said "Battery Randomisation" and showed a kaleidoscope of swirling ever changing coloured patterns which played on and on never seeming to come to an end.

Has anyone else experienced this and know of a cure? Should i just put it down to experience and get a replacement?

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

cymaz,

Tthanks for your reply. I had overlooked that possibility. After doing the reset I have now been able to charge to the extent that the blinking LED becomes steady indicating "battery full". I have yet to do a test to see how long I can now record before the battery gives up.

I suspect that I wasn't getting a proper charge and the camera was shutting down because of a low battery state.

I am still a bit puzzled by the "battery normalisation" video though.

Malcolm

Looks like there's a new version of the 808#16 camera. View here. Looks like it has a wider angle lens, a lead so it can be powered from a receiver pack (so recording 'til the card is full - 6hrs+) and some software updates. All for the same price as the original 808#16 from the same supplier.

Not seen any reviews on it, though.

Ian

Ps. Well, maybe a little more money. Don't forget to scroll down once page is open to find the item. And this is the supplier recommended by Techmoan and RC Groups.

Edited By Rentman on 09/08/2012 22:32:46

• 2 months later...

Morning all.

I have had my 808 #11 for over a year now and have managed to get some decent footage, but, I used it yesterday and found that it was turning itself off after 45 secs every time.

Quite frustrating.....

I used to get a good 8 mins from it before.

The battery was fully charged and the recorded 45 secs were of good quality.

Any ideas, or is it dead.

Thanks.

Phil