Article idea

David perry 1

I havent read anywhere anything about the process of bringing a new ARTF foamie to life.

We all buy and fly these things and we are either complimentary or derogatory about so-and-sos latest design, but HOW are these things created, then made and sold?  Whts the life of one? How many do they sell? Whats the factory like?

Could be a fascinating article.  

If you need anyone to go to China to investigate, I'm free.

David 

Advert

The UK distributors we've spoken to seem reticent, we've had vague promises but nothing has ever materialised and the feedback is that Chinese business' aren't enthusiastic and would worry that they're giving away trade secrets, production techniques and future release info to their competitors. 

I'm not sure what it would show us in reality. I'm told that the factories vary incredibly. Some are so clean you could eat your dinner off the floor and some, sort of......aren't 
Health and safety considerations can vary too.  

The people I'd really like to speak to are the ARTF designers/developers, just to see how experienced they are and whether they can really fly all that well. Whether they really do fly all their RTF foamies as tail heavy as their instructions always seem to recommend. 

We'll stay on the case. 

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 19/08/2010 07:54:19:

The people I'd really like to speak to are the ARTF designers/developers, just to see how experienced they are and whether they can really fly all that well. Whether they really do fly all their RTF foamies as tail heavy as their instructions always seem to recommend. 

Thats what interests me too David.

I am pretty sure that expanded polystyrene moulding. is done by using pre-expanded polystyrene beads by steam (at low pressure). This swells the beads, but is not sufficient to cause the beads to adhere to each other.

A metal mold is then used to pour the beads into, until filled. Low pressure steam is is injected to cause the beads to adhere to each other.

The mould is then cooled with water (via built in cooling channels).

The mould can then be opened, the moulding ejected. An issue relative to injection moulding, is cooling fast enough to satisfy the production manager, as the material does not transfer heat readily, hence cooling is not as quick as say ABS.

It was not high tech, many of the components we (as consumers) pay a lot for, the business would be payed a farthing (not legal tender then) per unit, which could be a multi cavity sprue, or a single component. Packing type materials were typically low cost, as I would consider our models to be..

This is how it was done some 40 years back, when I briefly worked (pay and opportunities were lacking) for a plastics company. They produced injection, transfer, compression mouldings, extrusions. Site now a housing estate.

The art, was in designing the moulds (although routine to those in the industry), methodologies in managing the moulding process and any after moulding treatment, such as water immersion. The general principals every one in the industry knew, the rep for the moulding chips, would and did supply all manner of information how to actually do it, solve an issue. Ranging from storage, moulding, after treatments etc. Not really that high tech, but then again, how much would you provide data to a competitor, actual or potential.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 19/08/2010 07:54:19

Not all designers are the same, the foamys I've had from Alfa, Multiplex, E Flite and Dreamflight had the c of g pretty spot on. The instructions and design of all of these was first class as well.