Ads in new windows

James M

Hi All

The only thing that truly annoys me on this site is that if you click on an ad link it opens up in the same window as the one you are using - loosing what you are doing!

If anyone is like me and they see something of interest scrolling past I click on it to open the item and like to let it load in the background whilst I carry on with what I am doing - it stops me going off on tangents and I then find that I complete the first task.

Could this be amended or am I unique in this thought??

PS have tested in Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and Modzilla Firefox 

Advert

I asked our web tech chap and here's the reply....

as today’s surfer is aware of the back and forwards buttons on the browser, and they know how to return to the previous site. Opening links in new windows can be confusing and overwhelming for some users and effectively “breaks” the back button, as clicking it won’t get you back to the previous site.

Hi David,

For what its worth I used to look after parts of a web site for a previous employer.  We were told as part of the training that links to anything other than your own site should always be in a new window.  More or less exactly for the reasons James opened with.

Can this also be applied for Members posts where they insert a link on their post?  From what I recall you cant get it to do that (unless ive missed it).

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 24/08/2010 12:59:54

Hi craig yes you can get it to do it.

Here's a link to Greenacres

When you use the link button at the top of the post a reply box, the pop up that opens gives you a choice of "Target"  Choose "new window" in there.

Incidentally, if you want to open an advertiser in a new window, try right clicking on it and see if you have that option. Most recent browsers do this. 

As an IT Manager and IS Business Analyst myself I agree with David and Craig.

My browser of choice is Mozilla Firefox and have used it's "Open in new Tab" option many times, rather than another window. Most other browsers have gone the multi-tabbed browsing route too.

Another tab or another window is a better way of surfing, that way I always have the original place to go back to, no matter how far I wonder off the path. 

• 2 months later...
Hi David yes they do seem to go to new windows, but not a new tab or a full browser, just a window with limited functionality. Is this the intention?

Oh and the MyHobbyStore ones seem to still use this window..

Chris 

It seems to me it still needs some tweaking. I use Firefox and on many other sites, if you left click on a link it just opens in a new tab in the existing window, which is just what I want. Now, a left click brings up an annoying half-size window floating in mid-screen.

A right click and 'open in new tab' on the sidebar adverts now just brings up the same forum page which isn't what I expected................

Pete

Pete that was pretty much what I was trying to say. I'm using Chrome.

Isn't this what we'd rather it did?   Homepage in new window

Edited By Chris Bott on 06/11/2010 11:29:19

Edited By Chris Bott on 06/11/2010 11:29:51

Edited By Chris Bott on 06/11/2010 11:30:33

This is much better, But one comment - I don't know if its just me but when the new window opens it has no "back botton". Now I know as soon as the "techies" read this they'll say "That's what we said - it breaks the back button and you can't can't go back to the forum in the new window". But by having no back button at all we now can't navigate within the "shop site"!

Can we have a back button in the adverts window please? I know it can only nav in the shop site - but that's fine.

BEB 

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 06/11/2010 21:22:34

You're absolutely right, BEB. What has already been suggested cannot really be that difficult. Perhaps the 'techies' should try using the site for a while so they could see how it works - I'm sure David does his best in passing on the feedback but I get the impression they don't provide, shall we say, a comprehensive customer-orientated service..........

Pete